We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Outrageous Liars

Options

Comments

• Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nixe wrote: »
    my neighbour down the road
    he has been a councillor
    said he tried to save the life of someone who was stabbed outside my house and was full of blood. [ he was no near the lad and only came out when the police etc were there.
    saved the life of some man who commited suicide. he was distant neighbour and this person only let on to known liar
    tried to save the life of a child who died on holiday. and this did not stop him enjoying the rest of his holiday. [ there was no child ]
    had the first heart transplant at local hosi.
    has had cancer about 4 times
    has died twice
    met the queen [ could be true ]
    stopped our road from being flooded.
    its goes on, only thing he has not done is go to the moon.
    his down trodden wife backs him up.

I had a colleague who used to constantly tell us tales of how he had saved lives etc. They were so obviously made up that we would all just go, "yeah, right" and look bored. He got so frustrated at us not taking him seriously that he set fire to the kitchen and then heroically put the fire out. Unfortunately (for him) he was spotted starting the fire and got sacked. It was such a stupid thing to do as there were loads of people in the building.
  • bangersnmash
    bangersnmash Posts: 9,719 Forumite
    Options
    Great thread, sassy, and great posts everyone, fantastic, thanks a lot. Very funny.

Also a bit worrying as well, this kind of extreme compulsive behaviour borders on acute severe clinical mental illness, fraud, and various crime. Some of the scary end of it is, for instance, people posing as doctors and doing lots of operations but not getting caught for years. And even worse than that, Munchausen by proxy and in the worst cases they do murders and all sorts. And similar, the mass murdering doctor, Dr Shipman is the worst known in UK, several hundred murders over a number of decades before he got rumbled. For every one that comes to light and gets nicked there are how many dozens or even hundreds of them embedded in every day life and getting away with it.

Here’s what I said a few months ago about one that I used to know :

There's someone I used to know who is completely deluded a bit like that. He's a compulsive liar. He lies all the time about anything and everything. He lies about lots of stuff that there's no need to lie about at all.

For instance, he phoned me to tell me he's popping in and he said he's on the train. So I said how come I can hear the cars on the street in the background and you slightly out of breath from walking and talking at the same time. No, I'm on the train. No, you're not, I can hear that you're not. Yes, I am. No, you're not, why are you pretending about this. It doesn't make any difference, does it, there's no purpose to it, is there.

Lots of times I've been with him and he routinely lies to all his family and friends about where he is and what he's doing. Nearly always lies about everything and anything. Just compulsively, mindlessly, for no reason. Rather bizarre. As I say, mostly for no reason or gain at all either, just completely irrationally and redundantly. Purposelessly. Gawd.

Anyway, the relevance here is that he also exhibits various absurd self delusions. He messed up paying his bills due to extreme laziness and ripping me off and annoying me so much for many years that I refused to carry on helping him. So he had to sell up.

He's now pretending that he left London because he didn't like the rubbish people here.

I said, mate, it's me you're talking to, I know your whole history in detail for the last ten years and your life history before that and that's not why you sold up. You sold up because you couldn't manage your own affairs and because you're totally lazy and never ever do any work, not a drop. That's why you went bust and had to sell up.

Well, duh.

There's lots more like that about this ridiculous character but I'll leave it at that for now. Might do some more a bit later.
  • DevilsAdvocate1
    Options
    When I was a first year student, I couldn't get a place in the halls of residence, so I ended up lodging with a family. One day, the wife (Kay) told me about when she first started going out with her husband (Bob).

They had been together 3 or 4 weeks when he told her that it was his birthday the following Thursday. She really liked him, so she spent a bit of money buying him a nice present and taking him out for the night.

Six months later, Bob told her that it was his birthday on the 29th September. She told him that it couldn't be as he'd had his birthday in March. A very red-faced Bob told her that he didn't think they'd last that long and he wanted to make sure he'd got a birthday present from her, so he had made up the birthday :rotfl:
  • sassyblue
    sassyblue Posts: 3,783 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hermia wrote: »
    I got so frustrated at us not taking him seriously that he set fire to the kitchen and then heroically put the fire out. Unfortunately (for him) he was spotted starting the fire and got sacked. It was such a stupid thing to do as there were loads of people in the building.

OMG :rotfl:

Just remembered the story my new(ish ) neighbour told me last summer..... Apparently he told his friend he was thinking of setting up a wedding car hire business, a Rolls Royce no less, hiring it out at £99 a time. Yep £99, for all day. Unfortunately for him, his friend saw the great potential in this, gave up his job bought a vintage rolls and hired it out at £99 a wedding.

It did so well, his friend sold the business just a year later for £1million!

He knows l do accounts at work all day but he still thought I'd fall for it l suppose. :rotfl:

Happy moneysaving all.
  • motherofstudents
    Options
    I met someone in America years ago and he called and asked if he could stay with me while visiting the UK. I agreed. When I had met him in the US, he was dressed normally. He was a teacher (I know that's true because he took me into one of his classes while the kids asked about England). Anyway, he turns up in big cowboy hat, leather fringed jacket etc, only thing he didn't have was a horse.

It was a couple of weeks later I was at the hairdresser's when I heard a woman telling the hairdresser 'yes, he's lovely this American I've met, he's going to take me back to his ranch in Idaho'. She then produced a photo out of her handbag which I just had to see, so leaned over (she had a couple more hairdressers looking too) and there he was grinning like a Cheshire cat.

I had been to his rented house, it was made of wood and most definitely wasn't a ranch.
  • bangersnmash
    edited 28 January 2013 at 6:55PM
    Options
    I remember now, I looked into this a bit a few years ago, and I was particularly taken with this splendid name, pseudologica fantastica, what a great pair of words.

One of the descriptions I read was that it sometimes applies to people who are so in the habit of lying that they believe their own lies and can't differentiate between reality and fantasy. Which is rather scary stuff and, as I mention above, is sometimes real serious mental illness and sometimes includes fraud, petty crime and heavy crime.

Here's a link to some of the medical classifications about this kind of pathological behaviour that might be worth a browse in this context :

"Pseudologia fantastica, mythomania, or pathological lying are three of several terms applied by psychiatrists to the behavior of habitual or compulsive lying.[1][2] It was first described in the medical literature in 1891 by Anton Delbrueck.[2] Although it is a controversial topic,[2] pathological lying has been defined as "falsification entirely disproportionate to any discernible end in view, may be extensive and very complicated, and may manifest over a period of years or even a lifetime".[1]...

See also
    Pseudologia fantastica
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudologia_fantastica

Then the more you research it the worse it gets, have a look at this lot, how many people are milling about in the general population doing all this kind of caper, compulsively but not being treated for it at all, and this isn't the half of it, there's lots more than these as well :

Ganser syndrome is a rare dissociative disorder previously classified as a factitious disorder. It is characterized by nonsensical or wrong answers to questions or doing things incorrectly, other dissociative symptoms such as fugue, amnesia or conversion disorder, often with visual pseudohallucinations and a decreased state of consciousness. It is also sometimes called nonsense syndrome, balderdash syndrome, syndrome of approximate answers, pseudodementia, hysterical pseudodementia or prison psychosis...

Ganser syndrome
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganser%27s_syndrome

Factitious disorders
    are conditions in which a person acts as if they have an illness by deliberately producing, feigning, or exaggerating symptoms. Factitious disorder by proxy is a condition in which a person deliberately produces, feigns, or exaggerates symptoms in a person in their care.

Münchausen syndrome, a severe form of factitious disorder, was the first kind identified, and was for a period the umbrella term for all such disorders.[1] People with this condition may produce symptoms by contaminating urine samples, taking hallucinogens, injecting themselves with bacteria to produce infections, and other similar behaviour.

They might be motivated to perpetrate factitious disorders either as a patient or by proxy as a caregiver to gain any variety of benefits including attention, nurturance, sympathy, and leniency that are seen as not obtainable any other way. In contrast, somatoform disorders are characterised by multiple somatic complaints,[2] albeit both are diagnoses of exclusion....

Factitious disorder
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factitious_disorder
  • geoffky
    geoffky Posts: 6,835 Forumite
    Options
    My wife told me i was beautiful.. And i told her she was.....
    It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
    Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
    If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
    If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
    If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
  • bangersnmash
    Options
    geoffky wrote: »
    My wife told me i was beautiful.. And i told her she was.....
    Do my moobs look big in this mankini. Tell me the truth now, I can take it. Well, come on, do they look alright or not.
  • building_with_lego
    Options
    We had a new deputy manager start several years ago, at a time when we were very short staffed, and were thrilled that he could begin immediately.
    Only a few days into the job his young son was diagnosed with leukaemia and he had to take some holiday to visit the boy in hospital (he lived apart from his ex-wife and had to travel), whereupon he found out that the child had probably less than a year to live :(. He came back to work a week or so later to a very sympathetic staff, then got a phonecall to say that his mother had died. That's one unlucky man. He took some more time off on compassionate leave before handing in his notice to move closer to his ex-wife and dying child.

That's when the manager phoned his references, to have them ask whether his child had cancer yet, and had his mother died? He'd done exactly the same thing at least twice before, claiming holiday and compassionate leave which he wasn't entitled to as he was so new to the jobs. It turned out that he also lived WITH his [STRIKE]ex-[/STRIKE]wife although she claimed full benefits as a single parent :eek:.
    I didn't see him for a few years after he left, then I went into the shop where he now works. HE recognised me but clearly couldn't place me; I pretended I hadn't seen him. I'd love to ask after his mother and son though :D
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • dibuzz
    dibuzz Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    My ex told me he loved me and would never hurt me, just 2 of his many lies.
    14 Projects in 2014 - in memory of Soulie - 2/14
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family