We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Balancing not just the budget

Options

Comments

• moneyonmymindsam
    Options
    Thank you lovely Sam :A right back atcha :D

I am still in awe of your 3bay genius - there are two LKB dresses that need to be decluttered and have I got round to listing them? ... :o

Rosa xx

I'm still really really Bad at Expenses tho :o
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Good work on the CC bill payment. Do you think that makes you an official grown-up?! :eek::o:rotfl:

:eek: I sincerely hope not! :rotfl:

I am sticking with the principle that grown ups are people ten years older than me :D
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    I am sticking with the principle that grown ups are people ten years older than me :D

I so agree. Growing up is overrated :D 'We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.' Picasso
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,893 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Monday shuffle... a little belated, simply because I had a lovely weekend away with friends and didn't feel like sitting down to account tracking when I got back last night.

No real change since the payday update anyhow. I have moved money around a bit and I did spend on clothes this month, though they are mostly replacements for things that have worn out.

Due to meet the solicitor in a few days and sign things... so did realise I may already have paid a month's rent for the last time! In future there may be a mortgage! :eek: :D

I'm spending on Kindle books atm but not going to worry about it as they are no more expensive than a magazine. Still v bored of ShopNScan, and forgetting to zap things, though will try and send what's in the clicker tonight. I missed doing an extra photo scan for 200 points which is annoying as that would actually have been worth the time. Oh well.

The savings pots are all healthy, I have some money building up already for holidays and the buffer fund is just under my monthly rent amount. I intend to still keep adding to these, as I have a separate pot for the mortgage and moving expenses, so all being well it should be equal to my mortgage payment and CTax in another couple of months, which is halfway to a full month's expenses banked. I'm oddly pleased with that because it has seemed a painless process - I've just put in £50 when I could and £100 in better months or when I had some left over at the end of the month.

Age of Money showing as 53 days, today.

So all pretty good here - hope you have all got the week off to a decent start too (am just not going to talk about what's happening in the rest of the world)

Rosa xx
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Things sound so exciting for you at the moment. New kindle books, last ever rent payment, first future home payments etc. Plus lovely weekends away. 2017 sounds like such a good start for so many people.

MTxx
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    :o well I've just popped back for a confession and an update, because I'd forgotten to check all my receipts before I looked at the budget... and there were three missing including a Wa1trose shop I would have sworn I'd put in via the app. So it wasn't quite as rosy as I'd thought :o

I've cut down the amount I put in the house fund by £50 and tidied up a couple of other categories, so that has covered it, but it is a reminder to actually execute the system I put in place!

And yes, things are going well so far this year. I'm really enjoying having time to be sociable now that all my college stuff is done. I know that moving will be hectic and I'm bound to find it all a bit weird in the new place, especially as it won't be round the corner from friends any more, but on the other hand it will mean people can stay over so it will all work out.

I hope your plans are also off to a good start MT :)

Rosa xx
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Rosa I keep my shop n scan clicker in the kitchen and scan as I unpack as I might having to handle items at that stage anyway. I was getting a bit fed up with mine (much easier in the days of shoving receipts in a pre paid envelope and posting them.,,,unless you needed to return anything of course) but I remained myself that it's still roughly about £100 a year I wouldn't have otherwise.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• RosaBernicia
    Options
    That was the plan Kerri, the clicker is even in an envelope on the side of the fridge... it's just me getting distracted when I get in and it seems such a faff to get things out again once I've put them away! That's a good point about it being £100 over the year though, all money that can be put to good use. Hopefully once things calm down a bit it will seem like less of a hassle again.
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    That was the plan Kerri, the clicker is even in an envelope on the side of the fridge... it's just me getting distracted when I get in and it seems such a faff to get things out again once I've put them away!

Why don't you balance it on the inside of the cupboard door? That way it'll drop into your lap each time... :rotfl:
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    I still find the scanning a bit annoying but I've got a great balance with them. I will cancel the TV and Internet monitoring when I move though as it feels a bit intruding now. But it boosted my amount to over £200 earned last year with the food on the go app too. That can really ease Christmas payments.

MTxx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport