Angry Bought a Stolen Car without Knowing it

Options

Comments

• Sgt_Pepper_2
    Options
    Horizon81 wrote: »
    One's very simple, one's more elaborate. You're saying giving a man a worthless car for his money is better than just giving him nothing? And a man going to the police saying he had 21k stolen from his person by some unknowns isn't what I'd call more serious than what has happenned.

But of course it hasn't happenned as none of it rings true! At least it's raised an interesting hypothetical question about the HPi check.

If the op comes back lets see what he has to say.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No help to the OP now but given that the cheapest X6 on Autotrader is currently £26,200 then one offered at £22k unless it's flagged as having issues would be ringing some significant alarm bells
  • steve-L
    steve-L Posts: 12,981 Forumite
    Options
    dacouch wrote: »
    Ones a much more serious crimes in the eyes of the law / police and is far more likely to be investigated thoroughly than the other ?

Exactly which is why they need to ensure it is dealt with as a fraud and they are given their own case number.

A few years ago I was burgled... the burglar took a few grands worth of camera equipment, some foreign currency and T-Cheques

He even threw away the Mexican peso's!

I reported this and it took the police 3 days to get 500 feet from Holborn station to my flat.... eventually SOC turned up and took fingerprints...

About a day later I start getting calls from a 'special operations team'. Apparently the guy was a known 'dangerous criminal' ... to say it stepped up a notch is an understatement!

£5000 worth of my possessions was of NO interest to them, neither was actually turning up whilst they guy may have still been in one of the other flats or in the vicinity. They made this quite clear!

Same thing in a friends flat in Islington, a moped went past a car and threw a brick through the window..... (we watched it on the balcony smoking).... so he called the local nick....
    After the ascertained it wasn't HIS car they asked why he was reporting it? They made it clear they were not interested and would not be sending out anyone to 'investigate'.... and them looking up the registered keeper to warn them.... (as obviously someone might later nick the car)... ha ha.... why would they bother....

So it's also important to make sure the police actually bother to investigate and that probably means reporting it as a fraud, then hassling the police to ask what they have done on a regular basis until they actually find it easier to investigate than ignore!
  • Avoriaz
    Avoriaz Posts: 39,110 Forumite
    edited 15 January 2013 at 1:27PM
    Options
    dacouch wrote: »
    Making an (Expensive) mistake and asking for advice does not make the OP a troll....
    No, but coming up with such a far fetched and unlikely story probably does.

You can believe it is genuine if you wish.

I don't.

MSE is hardly the first place people seek out, join up and ask for help about cars.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    spacey2012 wrote: »
    Why does it matter to you ?
    Some of the HPI come with an indemnity policy that covers such events.

You appear "angry" that the op may have some comeback.
    Sorry if I have spoilt the enjoyment.
    To the OP, explore the issue and policy with a legal adviser if the check was sold with one.

Agreed - a decent HPI provider (many of the cheap ones don't seem to actually provide any guarantee against the information) will cover cloned cars:

http://www.presscentre.hpicheck.com/miscellaneous/clone-wars/
    As well as confirming whether the car is registered as stolen, has been written-off, or is on finance, the HPI Check also protects buyers with the HPI Guarantee. This provides up to £30,000 financial reimbursement in the event of the car not being everything it seems – including a clone. If buyers are concerned that they may purchase a cloned vehicle, they should call HPI for further advice on 0845 300 8905.

However there are a list of requirements the buyer must fulfill which are all quite reasonable:

http://www.hpicheck.com/furniture/guarantee.html

One that particularly stands out is the one about buying at market value, I don't know the BMW X6 market at all but a quick look on Autotrader suggests an 09 X6 for £22,000 is far below market value.

John
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    Actually this is from the HPI's own T&Cs:
    2.5 The HPI Guarantee will not cover you for "cloned" vehicles (a "cloned" vehicle being a vehicle that has been stolen and given a false identity, normally that of an identical vehicle), where the purchase price of the vehicle was greater than £3000 and the purchase of the vehicle was made with cash. (The other terms of your guarantee are not affected.) We recommend that all vehicles are paid for via the banking system, such as, cheque or Bankers draft
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Well they would cover it as long as it wasn't cash - I suspect that just one of many reasons why the hpi won't cover them.

John
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    This guy started the identical thread on pistonheads yesterday (a minute before this so a copy paste special) then promptly vanished...

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1239342&mid=208712&nmt=i+bought+a+stolen+car+in+good+faith

They called Troll as well.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,701 Forumite
    Options
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    Well they would cover it as long as it wasn't cash - I suspect that just one of many reasons why the hpi won't cover them.

John

No they wouldn't. It would need to be bought from the registered keeper at the address on the V5, and would need to be at a reasonable market value.
  • oscarward
    oscarward Posts: 900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    No they wouldn't. It would need to be bought from the registered keeper at the address on the V5, and would need to be at a reasonable market value.

If you are buying the vehicle privately, you must buy it from the keeper, at the address shown on the V5. You must also check the identity of the seller.

Interesting you have to ask the seller for id, not sure how that would go down with some people.:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure