We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

hows your spuds

Options

Comments

• MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Well although my first ones are through I wonder if I can sneak another load in and they might make it? If I make sure they are well watered in containers do you think they might survive and actually produce spuds for me? :dunno:
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • Liz33
    Liz33 Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

This year is my first attempt at growing potatoes apart from the fact that I think I put too many in each pot, although i'm told that will just mean they are smaller the snails seem to be having a field day and the plants are now looking quite limp! I hoping they haven't killed everything off. Any tips for keeps the pests away from the food would be gratefully received. :confused:

Thanks
    Sealed pot challenge - £400 no.491
  • lisa_cee
    lisa_cee Posts: 73 Forumite
    Options
    i have 3 sacks in the garden with spuds theyre wild ! the look like a hedge when theyre bucnhed together how can i post pics ?
  • rubiales
    rubiales Posts: 489 Forumite
    Options
    Wow! The tatties look fantastic! Mine in the compost sacks are not even flowering yet although masses of foliage that is so heavy it has flopped over!

Guess I have a while to wait before I try digging around. Had a cursory glance and nothing more than a few long white roots at the moment.

They were planted early April and are second earlies, I think. Anyone know when they might be ready? :confused:
    .·:*¨:starmod: ¨*:·. Rubiales.·:*¨ :starmod: ¨*:·.

Don't get your knickers in a knot. Nothing is solved and it just makes you walk funny. ~Kathryn Carpenter
  • wokkies
    wokkies Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Al_Mac wrote: »
    So my dustbin is now full. For my simple male brain. I now let them grow, flower and die off. The pots are then ready to harvest?

Thanks

Al
    yes you have to wait for the flowers to die off then you can harvest them, you can if you like have a sneaky peek at your potatoes so long as you dont damage the potatoes and put the soil back
    Our potatoes are at the nearly flowering stage so obviously not early new potatoes:rotfl: but they will taste lovely when harvested because they are FREE:D
    to be updated:;)
  • beer2006
    beer2006 Posts: 1,987 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Al_Mac wrote: »
    So my dustbin is now full. For my simple male brain. I now let them grow, flower and die off. The pots are then ready to harvest?

Thanks

Al

As Wokkies says, yes basically. Make sure they have enough water when they are flowering and don't get water on the leaves when you water them.
    “Pleasure of love lasts but a moment, pain of love lasts a lifetime.”
  • madhouseof4
    madhouseof4 Posts: 848 Forumite
    Options
    I have also just dug up one lot of earlies. I pulled the plants up as carefully as I could, dug up all the potatoes I could find and replanted the plant itself as it still had some tiny tubers attached.

Here is some of what we got (as I said I would give a few each to the inlaws and grandparents. I hope they returne the favour when theirs are ready!)

IMG_9357.jpg

IMG_9358.jpg
  • MKwife
    MKwife Posts: 787 Forumite
    Options
    Help!!

My first earlies still not even showing signs of flowering yet!!! Is this a really bad sign that my tatos not growing properly?
    Our dream has come true... :D
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi. When did you plant them? They might have rotted or been taken to the garden animal spring fair [eaten]...i would have a look where you planted them and see if there are any signs of potatoes; esp if planted march/april time.
    Having said that - i gave some tubers to a friend, mine were 3 ft tall when he proudly announced that his had just come up - it also depends on the weather, soil, position, fertiliser etc etc.
  • MKwife
    MKwife Posts: 787 Forumite
    Options
    They are growing in large pots but they are only in sunlight in the morning (that is when it is not raining), and I planted them in March...
    Our dream has come true... :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family