We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

hows your spuds

Options
Hi there just noticed that our first early spuds have decided to show their greenery this week so signs are good, how are yours? are they further ahead? behind? let me know whats your are up?

First Spuds

Comments

• MKwife
    MKwife Posts: 787 Forumite
    Options
    So have mine!! I was not sure if they were supposed to yet as I thought I was supposed to throw compost over them as the sprouts grew, but I just couldn't keep up!

I am growing mine in containers and some of the containers are not too deep, do you know if they will still grow properly???
    Our dream has come true... :D
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi, ours outside started sprouting about 2 weeks ago.

The ones in the polytunnel have been earthed up - they're usually about 4 weeks' ahead of the outdooor ones.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I have mine in large pots, I have 'earthed up' 3 times now and the pots are full, I am starting to wonder if it was a good idea using the pots as it is still so early and I cant get any more earth in them, anyone else have this problem?
  • Tam_Lin
    Tam_Lin Posts: 825 Forumite
    Options
    Ours sprouted a couple of weeks ago in the trenches so we earthed them up today.
    Nelly's other Mr. Hyde
  • MKwife
    MKwife Posts: 787 Forumite
    Options
    Does "earthed up" mean putting more compost in them? If so, I have the same problem!!

Was considering repotting them this weekend? Bad idea....?
    Our dream has come true... :D
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    They're doing well. I bought the 'starter kits' from Suttons -http://www.suttons.co.uk/pd_MH422_Potato_Starter_Kit.htm

I've kept dumping more compost on top of them as the green shoots showed through, and now all 3 containers are full. I'll just allow them to go on growing.

This has been an experiment this year - I never thought of doing it before.

I also have a new shed with shelves which DH has put into it. I bought some 'pot ready' plants from Suttons - sweet peppers, mini-cucumbers, tumbler tomatoes and sweet million tomatoes. I've also got 10 petunias, 10 French marigolds (companion planting for the tomatoes) and I've sowed some baby sweetcorn. It gets nice and warm in the shed, the window faces south, and I open the door every morning to let them all have some air and light. Oh, and I've got dwarf runner beans doing nicely in pots, and peas the same.

No, don't 're-pot' your potatoes! If you've put as much compost on as you can, then just keep them watered and let them grow.

Best wishes

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • madhouseof4
    madhouseof4 Posts: 848 Forumite
    Options
    Mine are growing like weeds! I earthed up the ones in the big tub today and am picking up some tyres tomorrow to earth up the earlies in the tyre. Now for a silly question. Am I supposed to completely cover the leaves, or just the big stalks under the leaves?

Here's my spuds:

Veg end of the patio (although in all fairness, it's taking over!)
    IMG_9000.jpg

Yes, the 2 big tubs on the wall, the 3 tyres and all the green sacks have potatoes in! Did I go over board..... just a little!

My earlies that I planted 6 weeks ago:
    IMG_9005.jpg

Main crop planted 6 weeks ago:
    IMG_8995.jpg
  • lilyann1
    lilyann1 Posts: 514 Forumite
    Options
    Have no idea what we're doing,I planted some beg of March when it was hot but then we had snow!!!
    Didn't think thye'd survive but they are about 8-10 inches hihg,others I planted 2 weeks ago are not showing yet.
    How long before we can harvest them???
    I am newbie to veggie growing.
    Have also seeded beetroot and they are coming through and so are the beans.
  • ruffmeister
    ruffmeister Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    flowers are up on the early spuds wont be long for them now, WEhat about yours any more updates?
  • louise_1981
    louise_1981 Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Options
    I planted a good few, I can not remember when and have has greenery showing for three weeks ( I bought these from the pound shop). Planted along with some onions.

Having a bit of a problem with these as the resident cats have now taken to using it at there toilet, any ideas as to how safe any produce would be?

started some more of today in rubble sacks, so new potatoes for christmas!!! ;)
    The sign of a wasted life is a tidy house, Welcome to the chaos!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure