We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

hows your spuds

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,106 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I didnt realize you could grow potatoes in plastic sacks. I havent really got the room for growing veggies but i could definately fit a few sacks round the side of my house. Thanks for the idea.
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi MK Wife - have you dug down to see what has happened to them - are the original tubers still there? It's the only way to find out...
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I planted some potatoes last year from some that were in my kitchen. I had a lovely load of tatties in september. The only thing is that I clearly didn't get them all up because I have a few potato plants showing now. Are they safe to eat if they have grown spuds?
    I'm not too bothered about disease or anything atm as I am doing major work to the garden front and back so will be moving a lot of earth around over the coming year.
    Also, if I was to plant some now in pots would they grow or rot?
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • MKwife
    MKwife Posts: 787 Forumite
    Options
    Zazen999 - I have not dug down yet. I will try it. So what if there are potatoes there? Dig them up? I just wonder if they haven't flowered because we have not had much sun? Also the side of the garden they are in is in the shade all afternoon.

I will have a little dig about and report back!!
    Our dream has come true... :D
  • Sharifa_2
    Sharifa_2 Posts: 689 Forumite
    Options
    I've harvested my first earlies (think they were Maxine; not a huge crop but very tasty); still watching my Accent and Valor grow and flower. I'll be planting some Carlingford in August ready for late autumn harvesting.
  • angie_loves_veg
    angie_loves_veg Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    Options
    rubiales wrote: »
    They were planted early April and are second earlies, I think. Anyone know when they might be ready? :confused:

2nd earlies - lift during august :j !
  • angie_loves_veg
    angie_loves_veg Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    Options
    MKwife wrote: »
    Help!!

My first earlies still not even showing signs of flowering yet!!! Is this a really bad sign that my tatos not growing properly?

I am growing three varieties of first earlies this year - all side by side.

1. The Red duke of york aren't flowering at all - clearly need longer

2. The British queen are flowering like crazy, but the crop is tiny atm, so I shall hold on before I crop

3. The charlottes are starting to flower, but one early crop was huge, so I may dig up some more!

Just goes to show, with all the information in the world, you just have to look at the plant and respond to its needs at the time!
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi guys, been impatient again, and emptied a dusbin of pots today, last time we tried was earlier in the month, see post#17. Just tipped the whole lot out and searched in the soil. We've only got about a lb of pots, but I'm so excited, DH thinks I'm mad!!
    Going to have them steamed for tea with lamb, and maybe I'll check out the peas to see if any are large enough to cook yet - been eating them raw so far.
    Now I've grown my first ever pots, I'm keen to get some for later in the year. Can anyone recommend a variety, and a good place to buy? I bought my Pentland Javelin seed pots from Wilkinsons but thy've nothing left now, and TBH we had far too many, so it would be good if they were available by the pound or 1/2 kilo!
    Thanks folks you're a mine of information.
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    HI MKWife - if the original potato is there and has shoots on it, then persist - but I suspect it may have disappeared [been eaten] or rotted before it could sprout - did you chit them before you planted? [always best to do so for earlies, gets the shoots started nice and early].
    Good luck
    Andrea
  • irishwexford
    Options
    We planted some this year for the first time in a border. No sign of flowers so we dug one up last week and found they are ready. Never tasted such nice potatoes, cant remember what they are but are red. First time lucky I guess.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport