We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

hows your spuds

Options

Comments

• rubiales
    rubiales Posts: 489 Forumite
    Options
    Planted my second earlies (I think!) in 75l compost sacks about 6 wks ago. Have earthed up to 3/4 full and now left to grow.

First time I've tried this so hoping they are deep enough now to produce a good crop.
    .·:*¨:starmod: ¨*:·. Rubiales.·:*¨ :starmod: ¨*:·.

Don't get your knickers in a knot. Nothing is solved and it just makes you walk funny. ~Kathryn Carpenter
  • lilyann1
    lilyann1 Posts: 514 Forumite
    Options
    Planted our earlies in March and they have just started flowering.How long til we can dig them up???
    We tried one plant on Sunday and got 2 large and 3 smaller and 3 tiddly spuds off it.Is this good or not????
    Our second lot we put in at the end of April and the plants are only half the size of the first lot,no where near flowering yet.
  • angie_loves_veg
    angie_loves_veg Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    Options
    lilyann1 wrote: »
    Planted our earlies in March and they have just started flowering.How long til we can dig them up???
    We tried one plant on Sunday and got 2 large and 3 smaller and 3 tiddly spuds off it.Is this good or not????
    Our second lot we put in at the end of April and the plants are only half the size of the first lot,no where near flowering yet.

ooooh! hang on just a little bit longer Lilyann! The flowers show as the tubers are really forming - now is the time to give them a bit of extra water, and they will be just fine! Earlies are ready when the flowers all fully open, or the buds drop. Scrape back a little of the soil to see if the potatoes are large enouigh - you can always leave them another week if they are not, and you can bear it! I reckon on roughly a kilo (2lb)of spuds per tuber when grown in a tub - the first ones taste fantastic though, and are worth the lower yield just for the excitement of emptying the pot and rummaging around! :D
  • MrsB2100
    MrsB2100 Posts: 793 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow! So many posts about spuds! I also got the potato barrels from Suttons ... so far so good! No flowers yet though ... I'll have to keep on twiddling my thumbs till we get some! That's if the weather can make up it's mind! We planted ours at the beginning of April, so I think we'll be ready by the end of the month ... ooooh, it's so exciting! Home grown spuds on my patio! Ooooh, I an barely contain myself!
    I wish I was a glow worm, a glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be gloomy, when the sun shines out your bum? :D
  • rev229
    rev229 Posts: 1,045 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    :j :j :j :j :j I am so excited as one of my tubs of new potatoes has got its first flowers:j :j :j :j :j :j
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My first early Pentland Javelin have been going great guns for weeks now. I was impatient this week to see how they're doing and got DH to dig down in the dustbin we're using to grow them to what was in there. He pulled out three potatoes about the size of a thumb nail!! Undeterred, I boiled them in about three minutes and we split them between us. They were delicious, if a bit on the small side.:D
    Also had him digging down in the raised bed to check the carrots and he pulled a couple about two inches long, washed them and ate raw straight away. I've never tasted anything to carroty in all my life IYKWIM!!
    Now my curiosity has been satisfied, I'm happy to let the veg continue growing until it's reached a more realistic size - we'd never have fed four on what we pulled the other day!!!;)
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    My first 3 spuds are resting in the kitchen :) and that was just sticking my hand in the tube and having a quick rummage round - must remember to water them more as still flowering :)
    Good news is that I only have to survive another summer like this... in Sept next year the Parish diocese have finally given in to public demand and is returning allotment land to the village. They are allowing us room for 20 allotments (actually about 1 minute from my house!) in return for the village no longer opposing them selling the original land (which they still are not allowed to build on) and as that land is now right next to a bypass we prefer the new site anyway hihi So as of Sept next year I'll have an allotment! YAAAAAY
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • janiebaby29
    janiebaby29 Posts: 1,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lol , just got my first batch today and container grown too
    Picture1.jpg
    The original janiebaby ;)
  • janiebaby29
    janiebaby29 Posts: 1,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    and they were so yummy , had them with lamb chops and cabbage with butter over them
    The original janiebaby ;)
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I have 2 tubs full of potatoes, one of them is up to the top, having been earthed about 4 - 5 times, lovely shoots (just waiting for them to flower now, but i did plant them later than most on here) but the other tub, ive earthed once, and now the shoots are struggling to get through, so not sure what went wrong there!!!!

Still hoping they might pull through, but not sure if they will!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure