We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Virgin Atlantic ONLY

Options

Comments

• AndyRat
    AndyRat Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dick994 wrote: »
    hi
    WE WON
    just got 2 cheques from virgin for VS16 26 MARCH 2014 for£450 each, we first complained in april 2014 told we had no complaint theY did give us air miles we said they were useless to us so after a few letters they gave us £150 worth of duty free vouchers which you could also use to book flights we tried to use them to upgrade our seats after a lot of hassle with virgin they upgraded us for free, we tried for compensation again after recent court ruling and we got it plus free upgrades both ways back to orlando and £150 duty free vouchers as well ALL THANKS TO THIS SITE AND THE PEOPLE ON IT THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Hi, we were on the same flight and have just received 3 cheques for £431, obviously the exchange rate at the time of processing, not the rate on 26 MARCH 2014, which would have given us just under £500 each, we didn't get any other offers such as upgrades. I'm wondering whether to go back and push for the exchange rate on the flight date or cash in the miles they gave vouchers for at the time?

Many thanks
  • flor2012
    flor2012 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone has had any success claiming for this flight. I know a court case lost earlier in the year has anyone appealed?

Thank you
  • collybird
    collybird Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    Finally almost three years to the day after our delayed flight (VS001 25th July 2012) we have won our claim.

The reason for our delay was that if we had taken off then the crew would be over the maximum hours they were allowed to work.

We used Blueway to handle our case and although it has been a long road (23 months since I originally enlisted their help) they've got there in the end.

Good luck all.
  • Hspring7
    Options
    Hi

Looking for some advice please.

Was recently on a Virgin flight from Las Vegas to Gatwick which was delayed by about 4 hours and then cancelled.

I believe this entitles me to claim for 600 euro compensation?

Also, when we finally boarded the plane the next day (which was delayed by another 4 hours)
    we were given information about claiming airmiles as a goodwill gesture for all the problems. My question is, if I take up this offer and claim the miles, will this affect my compensation claim?

Obviously the 600euro is far more valuable to me then some air miles so I wouldn't want to jeopardise that. Would be happy with both though :)

Thanks
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Depends upon the criteria in which the Virgin Air Miles are provided - if they are in full and final settlement then do not accept however it is likely you will be able to have both but tread with care. Just ask (and get in writing) if there are any conditions applicable to the provision.

You are correct that your cancelled flight attracts a €600 compensation payment.
  • hca_1971
    hca_1971 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 27 July 2015 at 9:44AM
    Options
    VS0015 Orlando to Gatwick 31January 2009
    We have already successfully received compensation for one flight delay and knew there was another one but couldn't remember the details. While clearing out some cupboards we found boarding tickets for what we think is the flight in question. I wonder if anyone remembers it and can verify for our peace of mind that this is the correct flight. You won't forget it!
    The flight was from Orlando to Gatwick, there were two flights that evening and ours was the earlier flight. It was delayed, we were told that the windscreen wipers weren't working, honest! In the end they cancelled that flight and offered us overnight accommodation or to go on the later flight (cynic in me says they realised they could fit us all on one plane...windscreen wipers!?). We needed to get home so we went on the later flight...which was subsequently delayed due to a passenger taking ill and Virgin wanting to make sure their insurance would allow them to fly. Which they wouldn't and so we had to wait for his and his family's luggage to be removed. Then during the flight someone else took ill, possible heart attack if I remember rightly and they started diverting to Boston I think...but for some reason they decided to carry on to Gatwick :T When we landed, thick snow, blizzards so we were lucky to land...anyone remember and can verify the original flight and would we need more details? For instance booking ref, actual flight no. that we took? No chance if I need any more details, my little brain can't remember any more than the above :eek:
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    Options
    If this flight was in Jan 2009 then you are out of time to claim. In any case, if you were delayed because a passenger fell ill, that is not the responsibility of the airline. As such, you wouldn't be able to claim anyway.
  • hca_1971
    Options
    Thank you for the reply. The flight was cancelled due to a faulty windscreen wiper. The passenger taking ill actually just caused further delay as by the time we were booked onto the later flight we were delayed by a considerable number of hours already. I put the extra info in to see if it jogged anyone's memory to see if they'd had any success.
    I was under the impression that we could claim back to 2005 so after reading Martin's guidelines we are going to put in a claim, it's just harder if you have to take them to court pre 2009. I'll update when/if we get a reply
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hca_1971 wrote: »
    ........, it's just harder if you have to take them to court pre 2009.

I was under the impression it was impossible given the 6 year 'ruling' in the UK (5 in Scotland). Perhaps you could elaborate on the fact you seem to be suggesting it can be achieved but with difficulty.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    Options
    111KAB wrote: »
    I was under the impression it was impossible given the 6 year 'ruling' in the UK (5 in Scotland). Perhaps you could elaborate on the fact you seem to be suggesting it can be achieved but with difficulty.

Indeed. There are only very limited circumstances in which a civil case can be brought six years after the cause of action. None of them obviously apply to flight delays and - knowing that you have no legal recourse - the airline will tell you politely to take a hike. But if HCA makes any progress I too would be interested to hear it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure