Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Virgin Atlantic ONLY

Options

Comments

• SandLake wrote: »
    I have now had a successful claim for a Virgin flight my wife and I took at the end of 2006.

I originally 'requested' some form of compensation in early 2007 but Virgin chose to beat about the bush and wore me down until I gave up. Long story short, I was in Orlando, there were 2 Virgin flights one to Gatwick and the one I was on to Manchester (then onwards to Dublin). The Gatwick flight developed technical problems and Virgin decided to transfer approx 75 passengers from it onto our flight causing a delay of 1 hour and 10 minutes - exactly the length of time I had to make my connection (which was on a single booking). I missed the connection and was rebooked onto a later flight arriving home 7 hours late. I think it would have been fair for them to, for example send my wife and I for a nice meal after we had got home but no they just said technical problems do happen and they were sorry. Well they are now nearly £1000 sorry! We will have that nice meal and there will also be a nice donation to charity.

I would like to thank a few on here, Blindman, RichardW, Mark2Spark and especially Centipede100 who answered my specific queries. I have never raised a small claim before but by reading their collective posts on here I was suitably forearmed and had an idea about what I was doing.

What I have no idea about is how they keep up with all the posts on here and also have the patience to answer all the (frequently repetitive) queries.

Thanks to you all

I have a slightly similar situation r.e. a delay of less than 3hrs causing us to miss a connection.

We were on a VA flight Orlando to Gatwick in Sept 2014, with a connection onto Belfast the following morning. The flight from Orlando was delayed by 2hrs 5mins due to our plane originally being delayed in Mexico - which had a knock on effect. The Manchester flight (leaving after us) left as scheduled.

Our arrival into Gatwick was 1hr 59 mins late, but this meant we had missed our connection. When we went to arrange a new connection flight, there was nothing left until after 8pm that night, leaving us stranded in Gatwick for 8hrs+.

We did raise it at the time with VA, but were advised that it was technical issues & unforeseen circumstances.

While the arrival was delayed less than 3hrs, do we have any ground because of the further delay to our connection?

Thank you.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did you book the entire flight through Virgin or is this two bookings? If the latter, you are not due compensation. Booking your own connecting flight is a risk you take, unfortunately, if the first one is delayed.
  • jinglefield
    Options
    hi there, did you manage to keep details off this flight as i was on the same and under the new eu law that technical issue can now be claimed for i thought id give it a go, however virgin are playing dumb and are saying they see no plane on this date as being delayed, when we both know there was, any addition info would be so useful in the claim however, it needs to be claimed this year, 5 year max

thanks

Fruity1 wrote: »
    Hi, this is a long shot. June 2010 from Orlando to Manchester. We were waiting to board when one of the loading vehicles damaged the plane so that the luggage hold could not be shut. They had to fly both the part and mechanic in to fix it. Initially we were given food vouchers and eventually taken to a hotel for the night. However our luggage was not returned to us until we landed in Manchester, so many people had no change of clothes. We were delayed 24 hours. Will they simply class this as technical problems beyond their control?

Many thanks.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    what was the date of your flight, have you put the flight number and date into one of the NWNF checkers? e.g. EUClaim or bottonline?
  • Greanep
    Options
    Hi Elb74 .... I know it's a couple of years later but did you get an outcome or resolution on this? Did the offer (& acceptance) of air miles as compensation provided on the day(s) of the flight delay invalidate the claim under EU regulation 261/2004?

Vauban (if you are reading this also) - any opinion? Would acceptance of air miles weaken a legal case pursued?

Anyone else who was on Virgin AtlanticVS301 flight Delhi to London on 16/04/2012 (delayed by 40 hours, arriving on 18/04/12) - have you successfully claimed?
    Elb74 wrote: »
    Hello!
    We were given air miles equivalent as compensation/courtesy does this matter?
    Thanks in advance to anyone who has time/patience to respond!
  • Greanep
    Options
    Hspring7 wrote: »

.... Virgin flight from Las Vegas to Gatwick which was delayed by about 4 hours and then cancelled.
    .... entitles me to claim for 600 euro compensation ....
    .... given information about claiming airmiles as a goodwill gesture for all the problems. My question is, if I take up this offer and claim the miles, will this affect my compensation claim?

Hi HSpring, did you receive the compensation[FONT=&quot] and/or have Virgin contested it with your acceptance of air-miles? If they did give/offer them, was there any wording on documents that stated anything like 'full and final settlement of any current future claim in relation to the delay'? If so, did they expect/ask you to sign it?
    Thanks.
    [/FONT]
  • Maureen_Jay
    Options
    Should I pursue a claim for compensation for Flight VS028 on 26th August. Should have left at 18.15 left at 22.30 reason our plane was directed to Miami due to thunderstorm!! Our friends on a 19.30 flight to Manchester with Virgin had a very minimal delay. Do I have any chance?
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bott & Co NWNF Solicitors say you are due 600euro per passenger compensation, Read Vaubans guide and issue a letter before action all is explained in the guide
  • laniwall
    Options
    Hi,

I have just received a settlement of £214 for delayed flights on 2nd May, 2015 flying Manchester to Orlando, virgin have stated that the flight was 3 hours 55 minutes delayed however I see to recall it being over 4 hours delayed. Anyone else on this flight able to. Help jog my memory at all.
    Thanks
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    laniwall wrote: »
    Hi,

I have just received a settlement of £214 for delayed flights on 2nd May, 2015 flying Manchester to Orlando, virgin have stated that the flight was 3 hours 55 minutes delayed however I see to recall it being over 4 hours delayed. Anyone else on this flight able to. Help jog my memory at all.
    Thanks

Flight stats shows it arriving at the gate five minutes sHirt of four hours.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback