We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Virgin Atlantic ONLY

Options

Comments

• Jordan92
    Jordan92 Posts: 209 Forumite
    Options
    I wonder if someone could help at all?

I have re-submitted a claim that VA rejected due to technical difficulties.

Have just recd a letter back from Virgin saying that they now reject it on the basis that it was more than 6 years ago.

My original claim was made in March 2013 for a flight in July 2008, so my original claim was made within 6 years. Can they legitimately reject on that basis?

Presumably, if they can then equally they could have just ignored my claim until the 6 years was up?
    PLAY UP POMPEY
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jordan92 - you are out of time - forget it and walk away.
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, I assume you say 'claim' you don't mean legal claim...?

It's a common ploy and they string you along knowing full well that they will drive you out of time...

This is almost happening daily on here now. :o

Sorry,

NoviceAngel
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jordan92 wrote: »
    I wonder if someone could help at all?

I have re-submitted a claim that VA rejected due to technical difficulties.

Have just recd a letter back from Virgin saying that they now reject it on the basis that it was more than 6 years ago.

My original claim was made in March 2013 for a flight in July 2008, so my original claim was made within 6 years. Can they legitimately reject on that basis?

Presumably, if they can then equally they could have just ignored my claim until the 6 years was up?

If you had taken legal action, then the clock would have been stopped. But you let them talk the clock down - and now your claim is dead.
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Report on a delay yesterday which for the 250 odd people delayed you may wish to keep should Virgin decline your €600.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3018369/Inaugural-Virgin-Atlantic-flight-cancelled-botched-water-cannon-salute-sees-firefighters-spray-plane-FOAM.html#ixzz3VvxKW7th

or could this count as extraordinary?
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Options
    Lol, you couldn't make it up could you?

Well I do believe 'deliberate acts of sabotage' may well be an EC, but I'm sure it was an honest mistake to press the 'FOAM' button :D
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • spaggy
    spaggy Posts: 416 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My daughters went to New York on the 29th March. Flight just under 2 hrs late leaving Heathrow and their inflight entertainment didn't work for the duration of the flight.

Emailed customer services, offered £90 towards another flight, on board duty free, extra leg room etc.

They are now at Jfk waiting to come back and again flight is delayed by 2 hrs...

Don't think we are entitled to anything else are we?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    spaggy wrote: »
    Don't think we are entitled to anything else are we?

EU compensation kicks in when a flight is 3 hours+ late arriving if the reason for the delay is avoidable by the airline (eg not weather, ATC)
    after 2 hours delay waiting the airline may issue refreshment vouchers, as their flight left at the 2 hour point and is due to arrive with a delay of under 3 hours then no compensation
    The voucher will have been a goodwill gesture likely for the IFE not working
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with Caz
  • fozmcfc
    fozmcfc Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi,

Me and several mates, have had our flight to Las Vegas later this year cancelled and we've been rebooked onto a flight 24 hours later, thus reducing our trip from 8 days to 7 days.

Some booked the whole holiday via Virgin Holidays and some of us just the airline and hotel separately.

Are we all entitled to claim the £440, as detailed in the below linked article and where hotels would be dearer to cancel and then rebook are we entitled to claim for this as well.

Thanks.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays?_ga=1.184691689.1749331913.1387819986#byairline
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure