🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Virgin Atlantic ONLY

Options

Comments

• David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 October 2013 at 4:25PM
    Options
    dunkmat wrote: »
    It would be intolerable financial sacrifice for them to have spare parts available at all times at every station!

If this is true, it is presumably backed up by some financial analysis comparing the cost of keeping components vs the cost of not doing, the latter which would include the costs of having to compensate passengers for delays. I would say that if they can't produce this type of analysis, they can't say that they knew the cost was intolerable.

Anyway, in the Wallentin case (which I hope you are familiar with) the fault was "a complex engine defect in the turbine ... which necessitated the dispatch of spare parts and engineers". That sounds to me more serious/expensive than a "hydraulic leak".

Not sure what the proportion is for Virgin airlines, but Manchester is the 3rd busiest airport in the country. You might have thought that they would keep spares at such a major "hub". In my (ongoing) case, Virgin advised that they borrowed a part from another airline so that is another option that they could have looked at (but may not have).
  • lillapixielou
    Options
    Hi,

I was delayed a total of 4hrs 16 minutes on 22/06/12 flying back from Chicago O'Hare to Heathrow with Virgin - flight VS40. I don't recall being offered anything in the way of refreshment/vouchers, and I was emailed by Virgin saying the reason for the delay was "a systems failure with our external flight planning systems". Do you think I have a valid case? I sent off the first claims form yesterday, waiting to hear back. It looks like you have to drag Virgin to the courts before they are willing to pay anything...Is this hugely complicated? Are you required to physically go to court and argue your case? Is it costly? The only mention of cost I can find is an £80 MCOL fee it seems? A lot of questions, but I have no previous experience with claims or the courts, thought it best to ask :)
  • SharkyGeorge
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone had successfully claimed for a 6 hour delay JFK-LHR on flight VS46 August 2010?
  • dunkmat
    dunkmat Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    David_e wrote: »
    If this is true, it is presumably backed up by some financial analysis comparing the cost of keeping components vs the cost of not doing, the latter which would include the costs of having to compensate passengers for delays. I would say that if they can't produce this type of analysis, they can't say that they knew the cost was intolerable.

Anyway, in the Wallentin case (which I hope you are familiar with) the fault was "a complex engine defect in the turbine ... which necessitated the dispatch of spare parts and engineers". That sounds to me more serious/expensive than a "hydraulic leak".

Not sure what the proportion is for Virgin airlines, but Manchester is the 3rd busiest airport in the country. You might have thought that they would keep spares at such a major "hub". In my (ongoing) case, Virgin advised that they borrowed a part from another airline so that is another option that they could have looked at (but may not have).

Had a chat with the claims company within our office and they are going to pursue the claim for free on my behalf. They have looked at everything with their legal team and in their opinion it is definitely worth pursuing. I will keep everyone informed of the progress. Thanks
  • Lovehols_2
    Options
    GRENADAHOLS how did you get on with mediation dieting to know
  • David_e
    Options
    dunkmat wrote: »
    Had a chat with the claims company within our office and they are going to pursue the claim for free on my behalf.

It doesn't get any better than that! Good luck!
  • David_e
    Options
    DTDfanBoy wrote: »
    If you are going to claim you'd better get cracking with your NBA, if you haven't started legal action before the 10th of November you will be out of time :eek:

10th November is a Sunday, so deadline is Friday 8th (I assume - or maybe you can do online 24/7?!)
  • goobervision
    Options
    Another VS074 claimant, just got a letter back from Virgin claiming that it's extraordinary under the following guidelines:

<<Grrr, I can't post a link>>> Just Google for "neb-extraordinary-circumstances-list.pdf"

Virgin say that, category 16 "Passenger or crew member becomes seriously ill or dies on-board or during the flight", whist not a perfect fit (e.g. it doesn't actually fit) can be applied as the Captain was less than one hour from being onboard.

On other news, they also describe that the Captain had to be "re-assed" on the 8th June and remained unfit to operate. If your a Virgin Captain be careful. I'm not sure what the medical term is for such a procedure but it sounds painful!
  • haslehurst
    haslehurst Posts: 19 Forumite
    edited 21 October 2013 at 7:57PM
    Options
    Another VS074 claimant, just got a letter back from Virgin claiming that it's extraordinary under the following guidelines:

<<Grrr, I can't post a link>>> Just Google for "neb-extraordinary-circumstances-list.pdf"

Virgin say that, category 16 "Passenger or crew member becomes seriously ill or dies on-board or during the flight", whist not a perfect fit (e.g. it doesn't actually fit) can be applied as the Captain was less than one hour from being onboard.

On other news, they also describe that the Captain had to be "re-assed" on the 8th June and remained unfit to operate. If your a Virgin Captain be careful. I'm not sure what the medical term is for such a procedure but it sounds painful!

That's not true! Pilot was taken ill at 6.30pm, flight wasn't until 8.45! He was taken ill at the hotel, which I don't think counts as on board!

The defence Virgin sent me said that the Pilot was taken ill 2hours before boarding! Are they getting confused?

Also, the list they refer to is not law it is guidance! The law is Wallentin/Sturgeon.
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lovehols wrote: »
    GRENADAHOLS how did you get on with mediation dieting to know

Don't starve yourself whilst waiting for a positive result from any mediation as it is normally a waste of time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure