We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Virgin Atlantic ONLY

Options

Comments

• Lovehols_2
    Options
    For that flight but originating in Grenada I have mediation scheduled for 17th Oct and court hearing on 15th Nov......

Hi any luck today with the mediation I had my letter back from court virgin going to defend the claim
  • Lovehols_2
    Options
    Lovehols wrote: »
    The excuse extraordinary circumstances. No 2 flap drive unit failed shortly prior to departure. After extensive investigation a new part was required which had to be flown in as not stocked locally. The cost of resources and equipment required to elimate this event would have been unreasonable. It would be intolerable sacrifice to store and maintain every part for different aircraft so no compensation. I have sent NBA letter today any one out there have any ideas if this is extraordinary circumstances?

Had problems with no win no fee company not very good so now going to small claims myself. Virgin are going to defend. Does anyone know if I'm right doing this. I know GrenadaHols is fighting the same case and is having mediation but not said how got on. Please help
  • nets_2
    nets_2 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    Please can anyone advise me whether to continue with our claim or not.
    We were delayed in Orlando in November 2007 for 21 hrs, this was due to a hydro mechanical fault, we had to stay overnight and fly back to Manchester the following evening.
    I have just had a rejection letter saying 'the claim has been denied on the grounds that the delay was caused by extraordinary circumstances that couldn't be avoided'.
    'and that it falls under number 25 of unexpected flight safety short comings, because a problem with the Hydro Mechanical unit was reported when the previous service landed in Orlando on 10 November 2007.'
    Have I got any chance with this?
    it was Virgin Atlantic
  • DTDfanBoy
    DTDfanBoy Posts: 1,704 Forumite
    Options
    nets wrote: »
    Please can anyone advise me whether to continue with our claim or not.
    We were delayed in Orlando in November 2007 for 21 hrs, this was due to a hydro mechanical fault, we had to stay overnight and fly back to Manchester the following evening.
    I have just had a rejection letter saying 'the claim has been denied on the grounds that the delay was caused by extraordinary circumstances that couldn't be avoided'.
    'and that it falls under number 25 of unexpected flight safety short comings, because a problem with the Hydro Mechanical unit was reported when the previous service landed in Orlando on 10 November 2007.'
    Have I got any chance with this?
    it was Virgin Atlantic

If you are going to claim you'd better get cracking with your NBA, if you haven't started legal action before the 10th of November you will be out of time :eek:
  • nets_2
    nets_2 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    DTDfanBoy wrote: »
    If you are going to claim you'd better get cracking with your NBA, if you haven't started legal action before the 10th of November you will be out of time :eek:

whats NBA I have searched this site but can't see it :o
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you searched the FAQs?
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 October 2013 at 3:53PM
    Options
    nets wrote: »
    whats NBA I have searched this site but can't see it :o

The search function isn't quite as easy to use as one might hope. If you search for NBA on main site, you get nothing. If you search on Forum, you get 300 results.

I was very interested to see that the fault quoted was the same as mine on the same route within a few months. Virgin's defence in my case incuded the statement that: "It is extremely rare for one of these certified parts to fail"! Obviously not that rare!

If you want to send me a PM we can perhaps exchange flight details which might be useful for both our claims.

As noted by others, you need to take action as a matter of real urgency.
  • Brow_2
    Brow_2 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just rec two cheques today for 600 euros each for a delayed flight to Florida, just a few weeks after sending the forms off. Just wanted to wish everyone else good luck with their claim.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Brow wrote: »
    Just rec two cheques today for 600 euros each for a delayed flight to Florida, just a few weeks after sending the forms off. Just wanted to wish everyone else good luck with their claim.
    Many congratulations :beer:
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • dunkmat
    dunkmat Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    dunkmat wrote: »
    Sent 3 separate forms off on the 4th September 2013 and still had no acknowledgment! Would you wait or resend?

I have a claims company in the same building who said they would send the forms saying I am their client for no charge? Do you think this would be worth it?

Thanks all

Just received first response nearly 6 weeks later! No shock that they have declined based on "Extraordinary Circumstances" number 25 Unexpected flight safety shortcomings!

Flight VS0073 Manchester to Orlando 31st July 2009 6 hour 46 minute delay. The flight that was originally scheduled to operate our flight suffered an unexpected hydraulic leak from under the rudder upon landing in to the UK that morning.

Engineers endeavoured to rectify the problem but spare parts were required that weren't immediately available and had to be ordered. It would be intolerable financial sacrifice for them to have spare parts available at all times at every station!

In order to minimise disruption we organised a replacement aircraft while we repaired. Bla bla bla.

Has anyone progressed with a claim on this flight and is it worth taking this to the next stage issuing a NBA?

Any help appreciated.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure