Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Virgin Atlantic ONLY

Options

Comments

• David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    adea wrote: »
    There were 9 of us delayed for just over 3 hours last year, flying from Gatwick to Orlando.
    My father-in-law put in a claim a few months back and in the post this morning, we had 4 cheques for £252 each! (our part of the claim was for my husband, myself and our 2 daughters). Thank you so much MSE!

Nice one! Can you give any details about the cause of the delay? It might help us who are having to fight!

Also, can you copy the post to the Successes thread?
  • hmtowns
    hmtowns Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    But all they will do is seek a set aside of any judgement.
    The law firms love this brinkmanship, its all part of the "game" (and probably the most exciting thing in their lives...)

Yes they may but in order to be successful in such an application they would have to prove to the Court that the have a Defence with a real prospect at success. If the Defence is not really an EC I cant see how they could possibly prove that! Also would they go to the costs in a Small Claims track matter? doubt it!

The application should be made when they miss the deadlines, that after all is what the deadline is for!
  • Mehmet99
    Options
    Finally got round to submitting an MCOL claim for flight VS010 from JFK to LHR on 8th June 2012 which was delayed due to a "technical issue with the number 2 engine sensor probe". After receiving Acknowledgement of Service, I received a cheque a few days later for the full amount of compensation plus interest at 8% and court fee (although VAA denied liability).

Interestingly, I also received an email from the CAA the day before (I am sure this is unrelated to the payout) stating that they had sent my claim back to Virgin for assessment in accordance with the new guidelines and to expect a response within 8 weeks! However, these guidelines have been discussed elsewhere on this forum and so I would encourage the MCOL route!

Thanks to all those who have posted on this forum. For those wishing to pursue a claim, if you take the time to read all that is on here, you should have more than enough information to proceed.
  • animalcracker
    Options
    The aircraft scheduled to operate our flight had unexpected tech issue during its previous journey with the engine electronic control unit - discovered just before it departed India. Part wasn't immediately available - but fault finally rectified allowing aircraft to continue to London.
    "VS rearranged their fleet to minimise delay so we could continue on our journey" although that did give us a delay of 12 hours before we left London.

Not sure if the part at fault is EC - VS say it was unforeseen and not inherent in the normal operation of the aircraft.

Has anyone come up against this actual part making it an EC or not when it fails.

Thanks in advance.
    AC
  • sandshal
    Options
    Have read through all the pages and only found one reference to a flight the previous day to our delay which surprises me as I believe the delays went on for approx three days, so wondered if anybody else got caught up in this. We were due to travel home from MCO to LGW on the VS16 25 August 2008, went to check in at Downtown Disney at 8.00 am the morning of the flight to be told our plane had been delayed and boarding was scheduled for 2.10 am on the 26th (next day). Told to check-in at the airport as usual where we would be provided with vouchers for food and accommodation, had a couple of hours sleep at the Hyatt and woke up ready for 2.10 am boarding but plane further delayed to 5.30 am - eventually got home with 10 hour delay. Believe there was an engine issue with the VS15 the previous day causing that and the VS16 on the 24/8/08 to be cancelled and an additional plane put on, I guess causing a knock on effect with ours. We were actually told our delay was due to staff shortages.

I've filled in our forms and read through the FAQ's as best I can but just wondered whether any of you experienced guys could tell me a) if you think we have a case and b) whether anybody else is claiming for this particular flight right now (believe the delays lasted around three days in total so rather surpised not to find more references to it)

Many thanks in advance :)
  • sandshal
    Options
    To throw a little more light on the issue it appears the delays may have resulted from an engine fault on a flight from LGW to Barbados on the 23 August, surely two days is enough to get the schedule back on target, reposition aircraft and have staff on standby .... Or am I being unreasonable?
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sandshal wrote: »
    To throw a little more light on the issue it appears the delays may have resulted from an engine fault on a flight from LGW to Barbados on the 23 August, surely two days is enough to get the schedule back on target, reposition aircraft and have staff on standby .... Or am I being unreasonable?

Not at all. Get your NBA sent.
  • AFC1963
    Options
    Hi. This is my first post so apologies if the answer's obvious.

We were delayed for +4 hours on flights to & from Orlando in Dec' 2010. Needless to say Virgin rejected both claims due to extraordinary circumstances (the first due to a fault on another flight which meant rearranging other flights including mine, & the second as a result of an unusual engine warning light on a pre-flight check).

We sent it to CAA. After two months they told me at the end of July they'd sent it back to Virgin for reassessment & Virgin would contact me. I heard nothing from Virgin so I contacted them by phone 3 weeks ago & they told me I had to put my request for reassessment in writing. I did that straight away by recorded delivery. Surprise surprise no reply as yet.

What should I do now? Go to Court?
  • louiseycat
    Options
    Hi Guys, I still need some help/direction with my below post. Any next steps would be most welcome.

Thanks

louiseycat wrote: »
    Hi all,

I would appreciate some next steps advice, my husband and I were on the Gatwick to Las Vegas flight VS43 on 27/08/12 which was delayed for 22 hours and 41 minutes. Virgin have rejected my claim due to "the wing landing gear door being damaged by the door fairing and door fairing had unexpectedly become unaligned as a result of air flow." Is this really a case of EC? Whilst the delay was going on we were told that we wouldn't be able to fly due to the fault causing a delay which meant the air crew had 'timed out' and they didn't have stand by crew.

I know some people have won on this case so some advice, insight and next steps would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Louise
  • Cessj
    Cessj Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, this is my first posting, though I've been following this thread for a while. I submitted a claim to Virgin for a delayed flight to Barbados VS29 on 16th August 2011. The flight was delayed for about 3 minutes just under 5 hours (so we were only entitled to claim 300 euros as opposed to 600 for delays of 5 hours.
    Helped by the advice on this board, I submitted a claim on 18th August this year, giving the obligatory 14 day notice, went away on holiday (admittedly, Virgin again, to same place, same flight number, though thankfully, no delays this time and flight even took off and arrived early). Anyway, no word from Virgin so last week emailed them a reminder and asking for an acknowledgement that they had received my claim.
    This morning. Result! Two cheques arrived for 253.00 each, one in my husband's name and one in my name. Very happy as the refunded amount is equal yo the cost of a new ticket to Barbados - I'm planning another trip already!
    Interestingly, no reason for the delay was cited, and the mean so and so only paid out for 3 hours but I'm not complaining.
    I do have a query however.Virgin has very helpfully made out the cheques to each of the four individual members of my travel party, even though I paid for the tickets. In fact, one of the members doesn't have a bank account, being aged 13. Should I return them all to Virgin and ask for a cheque for the ful amount to be reissued in my name? Thanks in advance for advice.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback