Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Options

Comments

• RibZed
    RibZed Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Ferris - there are no upfront fees for using CEDR. They will charge you £25 at the end if the adjudicator rules against you. Also, you need to be formally referred there by EJ or wait until 8 weeks after you first complained, whereas you can go to MCOL immediately if you wish.

I would strongly suggest MCOL if you do develop more confidence in your case - the fee is payable up front (I think it's about £60 for claims up to £500 - but you can easily check this on-line) but compared to CEDR it is way more worthwhile. EJ rang me up to settle my MCOL claim and paid it out weeks quicker than the claims which went via CEDR.

I would never use or recommend CEDR for airline ADR - they're a shambles IMHO.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, both! Yes, what I'm worried about is whether easyjet can rely on the letter of the Regulation here. It seems mad that they would have been obliged to put me up for a night in Rome, but could just abandon me at Gatwick overnight in the middle of the journey they're supposed to be arranging... But maybe that is in fact the case!

My understanding is that my next step would be to take the claim to CEDR - is that right? If so, I'd be reluctant to shell out the fee unless I'm pretty confident of my case.

I don't know about CEDR but I'd like to think a small claims court judge would see your point of view although obviously I cannot give any guarantees. How much money are you claiming for?
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone got an email addy for the EJ team dealing with additional expenses. As you may expect, the official website form was useless and didm=nt ask the right questions or allow explanation. Bunch of cockwombles.
    Flying flybe in August, Jet2 in September.
    Could be an interesting/busy summer...
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    Anyone got an email addy for the EJ team dealing with additional expenses.

Try doing a search for 'email' in this thread. It brings up a few.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've already tried that. Unfortunately the search facility doesn't allow me to limit to easyJet thread. Just the whole forum page !!!55358;!!!56596;
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • beckybarnard
    beckybarnard Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 3 July 2018 at 11:55AM
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I had our flight from Paris cancelled on May 31st at 11pm after sitting for hours in the airport. It was cancelled due to weather conditions so no compensation is due but expenses should be.
    There were no easyJet support staff, just a stack of leaflets being handed out with the comment "you're on your own, we can't help" from the person closing up the desk. So we booked an hotel, Eurostar tickets and taxi's via the wonder of my smart phone but not through the easyJet app. because

1.Nowhere was it suggested we need to, including on the leaflet we were given, 2.all around us people were desperately trying to book rooms and were struggling to find them.
    3.we needed a room for 3 as we had our 11 year old with us.
    4. we just wanted to get sorted out quickly after a long tiring day!

Now easyJet have paid for the Eurostar, taxis and travel expenses but rejected the hotel and breakfast as it wasn't booked through their app.
    So finally, my question is:
    Can they legally reject a claim on that basis?

Thank you for any assistance, experience or help anyone can give.
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    NO send them a letter before action and sue them.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thank you for any assistance, experience or help anyone can give.

Hi,

It sounds like e restrictive practice which is completely wrong to me and the regulations, but if it's in their terms and conditions then possibly.

To be on the safe side I would try to call the CAA and ask them for their opinion on it, if you search for their number online it should be possible to talk to someone.

Please let us know how you get on.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • RibZed
    RibZed Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    No Becky, they cannot do that. It!!!8217;s just typical EJ trying to avoid paying for something that they must reimburse.

As per an earlier post, send them a NBA advising them that you will issue an MCOL claim unless they reimburse you within the next couple of weeks. Sadly you just need to fight these claims in order to get reimbursed.

I read their guidance here - https://www.easyjet.com/en/help/boarding-and-flying/delays-and-cancellations - and nothing seems to have changed since I had to claim for hotel costs NOT booked via their app back in October last year.

Good luck. Just post again if any further advice needed.
  • ferriswheeljunky
    Options
    RibZed wrote: »
    Ferris - there are no upfront fees for using CEDR. They will charge you £25 at the end if the adjudicator rules against you. Also, you need to be formally referred there by EJ or wait until 8 weeks after you first complained, whereas you can go to MCOL immediately if you wish.

I would strongly suggest MCOL if you do develop more confidence in your case - the fee is payable up front (I think it's about £60 for claims up to £500 - but you can easily check this on-line) but compared to CEDR it is way more worthwhile. EJ rang me up to settle my MCOL claim and paid it out weeks quicker than the claims which went via CEDR.

I would never use or recommend CEDR for airline ADR - they're a shambles IMHO.

Ah, that's really helpful - thank you! I'll keep you updated if I ever get a result...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback