Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Options

Comments

• Fed
    Fed Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 24 January 2018 at 5:43PM
    Options
    EDIT: Just checked EU claim and it suggests I can't claim anything so perhaps I should accept it
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fed wrote: »
    Any idea how they came up with £109? Should I accept it or challenge them and see if I can get £222?

You're due nothing as you weren't delayed more than 3 hours. I have no idea why they would refund you anything but I'd quietly take the money they offered and not bring any more attention to it.
  • Fed
    Fed Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    You're due nothing as you weren't delayed more than 3 hours. I have no idea why they would refund you anything but I'd quietly take the money they offered and not bring any more attention to it.

Thanks, will do
  • RibZed
    RibZed Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    So, the EJ defence has been filed in respect of my CEDR claim and, unsurprisingly, it shows the same level of incompetence/lack of attention to detail that has been apparent through all of the dealings with them so far.

Quite simply - 6 of us were due to fly home in October and had our flight cancelled due to an ATC strike. We have never made any claim for EU compensation but had to book our own hotels, our own return flights and all transport to/from airports. The EJ defence simply provides a 'boiler plate' EU compensation defence - there is no reference as to why two of our expense claims were underpaid by almost £700 and why the other claim of £400 has never been paid at all.

It is truly ridiculous to have to continue to waste so much time and energy on this and I do hope CEDR include some compensation element to make up for EJ's incompetence. I also think this is a matter for the regulator as it just isn't reasonable for an airline to randomly reduce claims without giving any justification for it - other than referencing the mysterious 'comparable amounts' which only EJ seem to know about.

Have now got to wait a further month whilst an adjudicator is assigned. <sigh>
  • legal_magpie
    Options
    Sadly, the adjudicator doesn’t have the “teeth” you would like. His role is simply to consider the case and decide whether it is made out. Now, if we had an airlines Ombudsman..........
  • Norwooder
    Options
    Hi All,

EJ have just refused my claim for compensation for flight EZY2176 on 27th December 2017. Has anyone else had the same decision yet, and if yes what are their next steps? Tempted to just give it to Bott and avoid the hassle of CEDR etc.

Cheers
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,550 Forumite
    Options
    Norwooder wrote: »
    EJ have just refused my claim for compensation for flight EZY2176 on 27th December 2017.

what was the reason given for rejection / reason for delay?
    EUClaim shows the following for your flight
    An analysis of the data for this flight shows that an extraordinary circumstance was the cause of the delay.
    Unfortunately you are not entitled to compensation.
  • Norwooder
    Options
    Hi Caz

Thanks for your response. The reason EJ have given is:

"Flight was cancelled due to circumstances beyond our control – Adverse Weather...To further explain what happened on the day; there were adverse weather conditions across the UK generally but Luton airport had experienced snowfall and freezing conditions. The runway had been closed for a period allowing for snow clearing but long delays occurred as a result of the high demand for de-icing equipment and subsequent queues that developed waiting for the procedure. There was also a substantial reduction in the flow of aircraft in and out of Luton airport due to air traffic restrictions on movements. To minimise inconvenience to our customers, we had to cancel your flight."

They may well be right, but some context to this might be useful:

- Approx 4 hours before the flight was due to depart it was delayed by ~2 hours. The reason given on the EJ "Manage Flight" website section, was that it was because of a "welfare issue" with a crew member - they were scrambling a standby team. Then the flight was then cancelled shortly after. The website was later updated to show that the reason for the cancellation was down to the weather conditions that they referenced in the decision statement quoted above.

- The Luton airport website posted a story on the day (or day after - I cannot recall) stating that the airport and runways had remained open throughout the day and that some airlines had decided to cancel flights for operational reasons.
  • lkate
    lkate Posts: 60 Forumite
    edited 25 January 2018 at 1:20AM
    Options
    Nine of us flew with easyjet in June last year.
    Initially the flight was delayed by 1.5 hours due to bad weather earlier in the day.

After waiting and returning to board, we were told, AGAIN, that our flight would face a further delay because the cabin crew had worked their total hours and a stand-by crew was making their way to the airport to take over.

Throughout the delay I used the Easyjet app, so I have a screenshot of the app telling me that the delay was due to lack of cabin crew - so, not just verbal proof.

We were delayed another 1.75 hours. So over 3 hours delay total.
    I went through Easyjet's compensation form on their website and they said that it was due to weather, nothing to do with staffing. I argued this with the screenshot but they ignored it.

I'm not sure where I stand as weather is out of the airline's control, but lack of cabin crew is not. It will cost me £25 if my claim is unsuccessful, hence why I'm unsure whether to go ahead or not.

What are my rights in this circumstance? Advice, opinions would be very much welcome.

Mortgage free date: Jul 2023.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Options
    A lot of these cases fall in a grey area and you'll likely get differing opinions in here. I'm inclined to think that you'll struggle with your claim since it sounds like easyJet did in fact have a backup plan once the crew ran out of hours (a lot depends on whether the airline takes reasonable steps to prevent the delay) and if you take the weather related part of the delay out of the equation you are well below the 3 hour threshold.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback