Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Options

Comments

• Daisylight
    Options
    Hi,

I flew from Lisbon to Gatwick on 26th June on an evening flight with Easyjet. Flight was delayed by over 3hrs. The French ATC strikes had been called off by this time and I think that some other flights were departing / arriving as scheduled. Am I entitled to any compensation since strike was over or is this still considered extraordinary circumstances as it was a knock on effect from the strikes?

Thanks.
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Daisylight wrote: »
    Hi,

I flew from Lisbon to Gatwick on 26th June on an evening flight with Easyjet. Flight was delayed by over 3hrs. The French ATC strikes had been called off by this time and I think that some other flights were departing / arriving as scheduled. Am I entitled to any compensation since strike was over or is this still considered extraordinary circumstances as it was a knock on effect from the strikes?

Thanks.

Have a look at the thread "Flight Delay Compensation Important Info - Please check before posting"
  • barafear799
    barafear799 Posts: 167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi

hoping someone can help.
    My parents had a delayed flight with Easyjet several years ago (possibly 2009-2010 - so within the 6 year limit).
    At the time, I "made a claim" via Easyjet's online messaging service (I also believe I made a phone call - but was unwilling to run up large phone bills - so all consequent correspondence was done through the online messaging service).

After a number of messages back and forth, Easyjet denied any claim putting it down to reasons outside their control.
    The delay was caused by "technical reasons" (with the aircraft - and had to wait for a replacement plane).

Having read the recent court case showing that these sort of problems were not "outside the airline's control" - I decided to try to resurrect my claim.

Unfortunately, the message has been deleted from Easyjet's website - and it contained all the info I require - such as date of the flight, booking ref, etc.etc.

The flights were booked via a travel agent - and nothing was done by email - my parents no longer have the paperwork.

I requested the info from Easyjet (in the fact that it was all explained in my initial "online contact" with them - quoting booking ref etc. -) - their response has been to tell me to contact their legal dept enclosing a fee of £10 for this information.

Can anyone offer any advice to avoid this?
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

hoping someone can help.
    My parents had a delayed flight with Easyjet several years ago (possibly 2009-2010 - so within the 6 year limit).
    At the time, I "made a claim" via Easyjet's online messaging service (I also believe I made a phone call - but was unwilling to run up large phone bills - so all consequent correspondence was done through the online messaging service).

After a number of messages back and forth, Easyjet denied any claim putting it down to reasons outside their control.
    The delay was caused by "technical reasons" (with the aircraft - and had to wait for a replacement plane).

Having read the recent court case showing that these sort of problems were not "outside the airline's control" - I decided to try to resurrect my claim.

Unfortunately, the message has been deleted from Easyjet's website - and it contained all the info I require - such as date of the flight, booking ref, etc.etc.

The flights were booked via a travel agent - and nothing was done by email - my parents no longer have the paperwork.

I requested the info from Easyjet (in the fact that it was all explained in my initial "online contact" with them - quoting booking ref etc. -) - their response has been to tell me to contact their legal dept enclosing a fee of £10 for this information.

Can anyone offer any advice to avoid this?
    If you have not retained any details then you will have to submit a SAR (subject access request) under the Data Protection Act and pay the £10.. Make sure you include in your request ALL information and data including any internal emails, messages etc etc that EJ hold on the persons in question.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • smigger65
    Options
    Hi ,
    I recently wrote to Easyjet asking for compensation on a delayed flight from Corfu to Manchester last July 13 , the flight was delayed just over 5 hrs , I was told by easyjet that I was not entitled to compensation as the delay was due to late fueling. and this fell under the 'extraordinary' category .
    Anyone else had any experience of this?
    Thanks.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    Options
    smigger65 wrote: »
    Hi ,
    I recently wrote to Easyjet asking for compensation on a delayed flight from Corfu to Manchester last July 13 , the flight was delayed just over 5 hrs , I was told by easyjet that I was not entitled to compensation as the delay was due to late fueling. and this fell under the 'extraordinary' category .
    Anyone else had any experience of this?
    Thanks.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4896454
  • MisterJay
    Options
    Howdy!

Myself and a friend were on a flight delayed by just over 5 hours and over 1500km. We're claiming €400 each. I'm due to submit my claim to the courts in just over a week.

They're obviously refusing, but some of the communications we've had have been somewhat amusing. Firstly, there's the fact they only seem to respond to letters that they've actually signed for and thus can't claim they didn't receive. I'm sure it's all accidental and innocent.

Second, in one of the emails they sent (in reply to a letter without my email on. tut tut.) they gave me what I imagine to be a smoking gun. They said that the delay was caused by "[technical gibberish] which was repaired but the same problem occurred". In non-legalese, that sounds to me like "we tried to fix it and we knaffed it up". I imagine they're going to have a hard time arguing that them failing to repair a plane is in some way not their fault.

Last is just a couple of pet peeves. They keep saying they are "unable to offer compensation", as if I'm asking for a kindness rather than demanding they fulfil their legal obligations. They also say they're "unable to comment" on the Huzar cases. Fancy that.

I'm mildly optimistic, I have nothing better to do with my time and I get a fee remission, so I say "bring it on :cool:". I'll let you all know what happens (and the flight details if I win, to make it easier for others on the same flight!).
  • TrickyJabby
    Options
    Hi All,

Would like to start by saying thank you in advance for any help or advice about my situation.

I was caught up in the French Air Traffic Controller's Strike last week, flying with my son from Menorca to Gatwick on 24th June 2014 our flight was delayed from 17:15 to approximately 00:50 the following day (about 7.5 hours).

I didn't receive any email or text message from Easyjet giving notification of the possibility of delay.

I tried to phone Easyjet Customer Services (incurring call costs) from Menorca, rang for about 30 minutes and no one picked up.

I emailed Easyjet customer services while still in Menorca asking them what they advised as the flight was at that time delayed but with an unsure take off time and they didn't get back to me.

While on the flight I asked the stewardess what was the standard recommendation to passengers and she had nothing to say.

When we arrived in the Terminal at Gatwick at approximately 3:00am, there were no Easyjet staff on hand and no information on the customers service desk about what to do.

We had pre-booked our train tickets back to Worthing, but as it was the middle of the night and there were no trains for another few hours and my young son was not well and obviously exhausted, we chose to take a taxi back home costing about £50.

I just wondered if there was any chance of accessing compensation, even for the cost of the taxi, from Easyjet. I know it is 'the way things are' and Easyjet will claim it is the fault of the French ATC, but it seems extraordinary to me that through the whole process Easyjet have no access to Customer Services, causing much stress for all passengers.

Many thanks for any advice.
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    I just wondered if there was any chance of accessing compensation, even for the cost of the taxi, from Easyjet.

Very little, I would have thought. Why should they?
    I know it is 'the way things are' and Easyjet will claim it is the fault of the French ATC,

To be fair, from what you have said, it is entirely the fault of the French ATC
    it seems extraordinary to me that through the whole process Easyjet have no access to Customer Services, causing much stress for all passengers.

You haven't had a great experience but I suspect it's far from unusual. They are described as "budget" airlines for a reason.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We had pre-booked our train tickets back to Worthing, but as it was the middle of the night and there were no trains for another few hours and my young son was not well and obviously exhausted, we chose to take a taxi back home costing about £50.

Many thanks for any advice.

Have you tried to see if your travel insurance covers anything?(although depending on excess probably not worth it)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback