Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Jet2.com ONLY

Options

Comments

• Bexybexbex
    Options
    I did check with Bott and co before I started the initial complaint and they reckon I do. I'll get my letter written. Is it true - I remember something from a past life that if you take someone to court, they can decide where in the country they can have it. So if I lived in Carlisle, they could make me travel to Folkestone? Or is this a memory that I've made up?
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, as the claimant you can elect to have the case held in your local court.
    OR the court system might decide your case be heard at Liverpool which is the court which has the knowledge/expertise in these claims.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Bexybexbex
    Options
    Maybe that was my memory - if I were to take someone to court, make it difficult for them. Thanks for the clarification. Liverpool wouldn't be too bad. So I've now a flight tracker map - wow, that's amazing. What is squawk 7715? JPears, you weren't on my flight to Nice in July were you?
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Bexybexbex,

It looks like you were on flight LS241 from Leeds Bradford Airport.

It seems that your aircraft was B737-300 G-CELK, it is 31 years old and has just (October) been withdrawn from use.

It made one approach to land at Nice (NCE) and then diverted to Marseilles (MRS), just as you say. The strange thing is, during the hour before you attempted to land, and also the hour after, 28 aircraft successfully landed at NCE, including a huge Airbus A380. Only two aircraft diverted away in that two hour time period, and one of those was your flight.

I would put my money on your aircraft not carrying enough fuel to attempt another landing, thus the diversion. They are legally allowed three attempts to land.

What J2 have told you about not giving specific information is utter rubbish, you should report them to the CAA for refusing to specify the real reason for the delay. The regs specifically say that this information should be supplied.

If Botts also say you are due compensation then you are on a winner.

As others have already said, your next step is to issue a LBA asap and then start legal action via MCOL. I believe that you'll need to use the paper application if claiming for two or more claimants at the same time.

Additionally, have a thorough read of the last 5 or 6 pages of this thread as there has just been a similar incident with J2, where they seemed to impose a confidentiality clause on one claimant. If they should try the same tactic with yourself you should be aware that you do not have to accept it if you don't want to.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Bexybexbex
    Options
    That's my flight. Yes an Easyjet landed minutes before we were due to and then a flight from Copenhagen was diverted to Montpellier straight after us. It was definitely lack of fuel as the pilot told us this was the reason for going to Marseille, the plan was to refuel and then head back to Nice. The plan was going well and if we'd set off we would have been in Nice within the 3 hours. This was when the technical problems started and the breaks were stuck on - the pilot told us. Followed by another technical problem 5 hours later - this was the point they took us off the plane.

I'll get my letter of action written and send it off. Thank you.
  • JPears
    edited 5 November 2017 at 12:52PM
    Options
    Double post

• JPears
    Options
    Jet2 and it's legal representatives will swear blind that the age of the aircraft, 31 years old, has NOTHING to do with the reliability of the plane. Your main delay was clearly technical issues despite the initial weather related delay (and was something else not functioning correctly to allow a cross/high wind landing?).
    This would suggest some age related techs. Interesting the aircraft was retired less than 3 months later.
    Apparently it has now gone to Wales to be made into coke cans.

• Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The aircraft in this case was G-CELK, it's sister aircraft G-CELI is the same age, 31. Here is a newspaper investigation into the age of aircraft and their reliability. The notorious G-CELI features for all the wrong reasons.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/are-older-planes-less-reliable-and-which-airline-has-the-oldest-fleet/

The aircraft that caused my delay, a few years ago, was G-CELC, it was also a very old aircraft. It emerged during the court case that the problem was due to faulty wiring in the wing fuel system. Their technical witness said that the insulation surrounding the wiring becomes very brittle with age and can create lots of problems if it is disturbed during inspection.

Although J2 would not accept that the age of the aircraft had any bearing on the fault, I think the facts speak for themselves.

A few years ago J2 had a fleet of aircraft with a very high average age, rather perversely, they are now in the process of buying a fleet of brand new aircraft.

I rest my case, m'lud.;)
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Interestingly Tyzap they are (generally) basing the new Boeings at their newer bases - Birmingham/Stansted - so as to make the 'right impression'. So the loyal (LBA/MAN) customers end up with the old stock and inherent tech problems!
  • Bexybexbex
    Bexybexbex Posts: 16 Forumite
    edited 5 November 2017 at 10:14PM
    Options
    I've written the letter - Vauban states that I can email this (I'm planning on posting as well), What email address have people used? Is it the standard customer services one?Or is it the Sheapy@ one that I've found. Or shall I really splash out and send it to both?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure