We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Jet2.com ONLY

Options

Comments

• David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Now I want to write to them to ask for the service record for the plane involved in the delay but cant seem to find a template letter for this.

Our flight was delayed due to the flight crew running out of flying hours, which we were advised of by the ground crew, and then the pilot the next day when we came to take off.

The service record will show that the aircraft was serviced according the the relevant rules.

If they argue technical issues, concentrate on the events that gave rise to them. That's the critical issue, not the actual fault.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=63704354&postcount=4238

As Coby says, they will have to decide what their defence is when you take them to court.
  • serenity1983
    Options
    I'm not too sure what relevance service records or technical issues have for this particular claim since the reason for the delay appears to be the "flight crew running out of hours" according to the OP!

The airline may of course claim whatever they fancy so a technical issues defence is likely to crop up at some stage:D

Well I am just trying to disprove their lies, I don't have the letter to hand that they sent at the moment but they blamed it on a specific part, the aircraft in question arrived at our departure airport 1hr late, and I also want to ask why we didn't take off until 18hrs later!?!?! Then when we eventually borded, there was a strong smell of aviation fuel. My partner being a nervous flyer asked the attendant why it smelt so bad, her response was well the aircraft has been stood on the tarmac overnight and has not been touched so needs to be warmed up or words to that effect.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    Options
    Well I am just trying to disprove their lies, I don't have the letter to hand that they sent at the moment but they blamed it on a specific part, the aircraft in question arrived at our departure airport 1hr late, and I also want to ask why we didn't take off until 18hrs later!?!?! Then when we eventually borded, there was a strong smell of aviation fuel. My partner being a nervous flyer asked the attendant why it smelt so bad, her response was well the aircraft has been stood on the tarmac overnight and has not been touched so needs to be warmed up or words to that effect.

As others have said, don't worry too much about that now. Start court action and let them tie themselves up in knots - and then you can start requesting documents, and asking pertinent questions of witnesses, etc. It's what I did with Monarch, and I wiped the floor with them.;)
  • serenity1983
    Options
    Vauban wrote: »
    As others have said, don't worry too much about that now. Start court action and let them tie themselves up in knots - and then you can start requesting documents, and asking pertinent questions of witnesses, etc. It's what I did with Monarch, and I wiped the floor with them.;)

I may go down the nwnf route as I hear from past cases Jet2 bring in the "big boys" and as much as I would enjoy it I dont think I would have the time to read up on the relevant law and test cases etc.
  • Vauban
    Options
    I may go down the nwnf route as I hear from past cases Jet2 bring in the "big boys" and as much as I would enjoy it I dont think I would have the time to read up on the relevant law and test cases etc.

Very good - so you don't need to write anything further at all. Just identify a good, possibly Cheshire-based, firm who can take this on for you and see if they will.
  • TomUK
    TomUK Posts: 21 Forumite
    edited 28 February 2014 at 4:06PM
    Options
    OK - further to my post at #1235.
    After a couple of e-mail exchanges with Bott & Co, and input from their 'colleagues' at EUClaim, they have now agreed that my case is worth pursuing. I have filled in their online claim details form and sent the requested copies of Boarding Pass, Booking Confirmation, and crucially a copy of the bulletin handed to us during the delay at Faro, stating the delay would be 4hrs. & 30 mins., due to "an operational problem with your aircraft". Flight records show it was actually 5hrs. & 5mins. in the end.
    So, progress made. I realise that this could be a long drawn out process, but at least I'm on my way!
  • Vauban
    Options
    TomUK wrote: »
    OK - further to my post at #1235.
    After a couple of e-mail exchanges with Bott & Co, and input from their 'colleagues' at EUClaim, they have now agreed that my case is worth pursuing. I have filled in their online claim details form and sent the requested copies of Boarding Pass, Booking Confirmation, and crucially a copy of the bulletin handed to us during the delay at Faro, stating the delay would be 4hrs. & 30 mins. Flight records show it was actually 5hrs. & 5mins. in the end.
    So, progress made. I realise that this could be a long drawn out process, but at least I'm on my way!

I think you are in good hands - and I'm glad they were able to help you. Good luck!
  • budda51
    Options
    Hi,have just wrote to jet2 about a flight from tenerife to Leeds in may 2011 which actually took off and flew for a hour then had to return and fly around for 2 hours to use the fuel before landing back at tenerife,we were then delayed by 24hrs and flew the next day,Jet2 have replied saying that they acknowledge the claim under EC261/2004 but because it occurred more than 2 years ago they are unable to consider my claim.
    Can anyone guide me which path to take next.
    Cheers
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    budda51 wrote: »
    ...... but because it occurred more than 2 years ago they are unable to consider my claim.

Incorrect - take them to court - enjoy your compensation.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    subject to the Dawson appeal in May....
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income