Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Ryanair ONLY

edited 13 October 2017 at 12:22PM in Flight Delay Compensation
3.7K replies 624.4K views

Replies

• I was due to fly on 30 January 2014 with Ryanair to Rome CIA from Manchester at 7.30pm. At 5pm on 29 January, I received an email from Ryanair saying my flight had been cancelled but no explanation was given.

They offered me a refund or alternative flight. Unfortunately the latter was no use to me as it was departing 24 hours later and would have meant losing not only a day of our holiday but also pre paid hotel and tour tickets.

As such I booked on a JET2 flight departing early on 30 January (which cost significantly more) and have requested a refund back from Ryanair for the original flight.

Does anyone know why this flight was cancelled and if I can claim for the extra paid for the alternative flight?

I have sent off the template letter to Ryanair in respect of compensation for cancelled flights but since they haven't told me why it was cancelled, I don't know whether it was a worthwhile exercise. I can't seem to find anything online either.

My insurance company say I am not covered for the extra cost so am seriously out of pocket!

Any help would be appreciated!
  • JPearsJPears Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    FrugalLou wrote: »
    I was due to fly on 30 January 2014 with Ryanair to Rome CIA from Manchester at 7.30pm. At 5pm on 29 January, I received an email from Ryanair saying my flight had been cancelled but no explanation was given.

They offered me a refund or alternative flight. Unfortunately the latter was no use to me as it was departing 24 hours later and would have meant losing not only a day of our holiday but also pre paid hotel and tour tickets.

As such I booked on a JET2 flight departing early on 30 January (which cost significantly more) and have requested a refund back from Ryanair for the original flight.

Does anyone know why this flight was cancelled and if I can claim for the extra paid for the alternative flight?

I have sent off the template letter to Ryanair in respect of compensation for cancelled flights but since they haven't told me why it was cancelled, I don't know whether it was a worthwhile exercise. I can't seem to find anything online either.

My insurance company say I am not covered for the extra cost so am seriously out of pocket!

Any help would be appreciated!
    As they cancelled within 14 days you are due compensation under regulation 261/2004. Ryanair really were also obliged under said reualtion to also re route you even under a different airline, at their expesne- such as the Jet2 flights you used.
    Unles Ryanar can prove an EC you are due compensation (as well as refund) It will almos certainly require legal recourse to recover what is probably due to you.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • VaubanVauban Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    JPears wrote: »
    As they cancelled within 14 days you are due compensation under regulation 261/2004. Ryanair really were also obliged under said reualtion to also re route you even under a different airline, at their expesne- such as the Jet2 flights you used.
    Unles Ryanar can prove an EC you are due compensation (as well as refund) It will almos certainly require legal recourse to recover what is probably due to you.

I don't think, however, you are permitted to "reroute" yourself, and ask the airline to pick up the differential tab. If you agreed to a refund instead, that's what you get - in addition to the statutory compensation.

(Of course, if you asked to be rerouted, including on other carriers that day, and Ryanair said no, that might be different.)
  • Vauban wrote: »
    I don't think, however, you are permitted to "reroute" yourself, and ask the airline to pick up the differential tab. If you agreed to a refund instead, that's what you get - in addition to the statutory compensation.

(Of course, if you asked to be rerouted, including on other carriers that day, and Ryanair said no, that might be different.)

Thanks. I will await Ryanair's response and go from there.

In respect of re-routing, when I read the cancellation email, Ryanair's customer service team was closed (it was about 7pm) and therefore I couldn't enquire about re-routing without waiting for the next day which would have meant the Jet2 flight had already left (it departed at 06.55) and there were no other flights that day.

Thanks again for your advice.
  • JPearsJPears Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    FrugalLou wrote: »
    Thanks. I will await Ryanair's response and go from there.

In respect of re-routing, when I read the cancellation email, Ryanair's customer service team was closed (it was about 7pm) and therefore I couldn't enquire about re-routing without waiting for the next day which would have meant the Jet2 flight had already left (it departed at 06.55) and there were no other flights that day.

Thanks again for your advice.
    Unfortunately so few airline customers are aware of their rights for re-routing AND airlines are so quiet or unwilling to do anything about it.
    And this is precisely the reason reg 261/2004 exists.

• JPearsJPears Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vauban wrote: »

As I said RA were obliged to re-route. But so few people know to reuest this, or there simply is no customer service available.

• Last questions before I take Form A to the court.

When putting Date, name and signature on section 10 what do I put for Done at:? Do I put the city I live in? Doesn't explain much on this form.

Thanks
  • CobyBensonCobyBenson Forumite
    188 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Medis111 wrote: »
    Last questions before I take Form A to the court.

When putting Date, name and signature on section 10 what do I put for Done at:? Do I put the city I live in? Doesn't explain much on this form.

Thanks

Put the address of where you are when signing the form.
  • We were delayed three and a half hours due to french air traffick control strike, I filled in their online compensation form and just got a reply saying there would be no compensation as the flight has been utilised. What should I do next?
  • edited 6 February 2014 at 2:06PM
    Medis111Medis111 Forumite
    46 Posts
    edited 6 February 2014 at 2:06PM
    ratiug wrote: »
    We were delayed three and a half hours due to french air traffick control strike, I filled in their online compensation form and just got a reply saying there would be no compensation as the flight has been utilised. What should I do next?

I think this might be outside the control of the airline therefore you will not be able to claim the compensation.