edited 13 October 2017 at 12:22PM in Flight Delay Compensation
3.7K replies 624.3K views

Replies

• Caz3121Caz3121 Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ratiug wrote: »
    We were delayed three and a half hours due to french air traffick control strike, I filled in their online compensation form and just got a reply saying there would be no compensation as the flight has been utilised. What should I do next?

Was your flight due to operate whilst the strike was on or, for example, was the strike on Wednesday and your Thursday flight was delayed because of problems the previous day/aircraft in wrong place.
    If your flight was at the time of the strike then they are correct, it is not their issue and they do not need to pay you anything apart from reimbursement of any refreshments if they did not provide vouchers
  • It seems enforcing the ruling in my appeal against Ryanair is not as simple as I had hoped.

I have been told by Dublin County Sheriff that the ruling first needs to be sent to Dublin County Small Claims Court in order for them to produce an 'execution order', which then allows the Sheriff to enforce the ruling (hopefully).

Can anyone more familiar with the process advise further?

Thanks
  • Have submitted Form A to the court yesterday, will keep you posted.
  • Hi all

Since my last post I have exchanged two letters with Ryanair. I basically set out why i had to re-route myself (reminder: cancellation email received in evening when ryanair phone lines closed, only available alternative flight was at 06.50 the next morning (before phone lines opened) with Jet2) and also asked in respect of the industrial actios:

• When was the action by the air traffic controllers taking place?
    • Where was it taking place – what airport(s) and countries?
    • When were you aware that this action would affect my flight? and
    • What reasonable measures were taken to try and avoid the disruption of our flight?

this was their response (i have cut out unnecessary parts)

I sincerely regret the cancellation of your flight FR3204 from Manchester to Rome Ciampino on the 30/01/2014 which was due to Air Traffic Control strike action in France which affected the entire French airspace resulting in disruptions to our flight schedule.

Please be assured that every reasonable effort was made to minimize any inconvenience caused to passengers and every effort was made to avoid disrupting your flight.

I regret to advise that as you accepted a full refund of the affected flight Ryanair are not liable for your alternative travel costs.

Could anyone help me with the following:

1.whether Ryanair should have considered a re-route/can't they just fly around France?!; and

2.what reasonable steps can a customer take when the flight is cancelled at very short notice when there is no-one available to speak to at Ryanair.

Thanks in advance for any help, :)
  • Ich_2Ich_2 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    1.whether Ryanair should have considered a re-route/can't they just fly around France?!;
    At first sight possible but as the strike was all across Europe other countries on alternate routes were possibly affected. Plus re-routing like that requires the negotiation of "slots" through all the new sectors which would have been congested or closed
  • richardwrichardw Forumite
    19.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stansted to Oporto FR8347 14.02 2014

A little something regarding events on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASDuLY3F4v0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DASDuLY3F4v0&app=desktop
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • FrugalLou wrote: »
    Hi all

Since my last post I have exchanged two letters with Ryanair. I basically set out why i had to re-route myself (reminder: cancellation email received in evening when ryanair phone lines closed, only available alternative flight was at 06.50 the next morning (before phone lines opened) with Jet2) and also asked in respect of the industrial actios:

• When was the action by the air traffic controllers taking place?
    • Where was it taking place – what airport(s) and countries?
    • When were you aware that this action would affect my flight? and
    • What reasonable measures were taken to try and avoid the disruption of our flight?

this was their response (i have cut out unnecessary parts)

I sincerely regret the cancellation of your flight FR3204 from Manchester to Rome Ciampino on the 30/01/2014 which was due to Air Traffic Control strike action in France which affected the entire French airspace resulting in disruptions to our flight schedule.

Please be assured that every reasonable effort was made to minimize any inconvenience caused to passengers and every effort was made to avoid disrupting your flight.

I regret to advise that as you accepted a full refund of the affected flight Ryanair are not liable for your alternative travel costs.

Could anyone help me with the following:

1.whether Ryanair should have considered a re-route/can't they just fly around France?!; and

2.what reasonable steps can a customer take when the flight is cancelled at very short notice when there is no-one available to speak to at Ryanair.

Thanks in advance for any help, :)
    Frugal, I'm no expert but Ryanair are clearly in breach of contract having cancelled your flight. You can rescind and claim damages being your additional expenses. The question then is do Ryanair have a defence in light of the Industrial action?Do the legal bods on here have a view on that?
    Wallentin also provides that even if an incident is an EC the airline has to use all its resources to avoid a cancellation.I note Ryanair have avoided answering the question as to what steps it took. To cancel 24 hours before the flight is due to take off appears unreasonable especially as its offices were all closed by then but perhaps the Court would find Ryanair had no other option.
    Would be interested to know if others have a view.
  • David_eDavid_e Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Rooonaldo wrote: »
    Frugal, I'm no expert but Ryanair are clearly in breach of contract having cancelled your flight. You can rescind and claim damages being your additional expenses.

I didn't think UK contract law had any part in this? Does Reg 261/2004 not provide the only remedy?

I may be wrong but if you don't know with a high degree of certainty, it's better not to give definitive advice.
  • boooglebooogle Forumite
    144 Posts
    Just to let you all know Ryanair settled out of court with me. It was a confidential settlement that I was happy to accept.