Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Ryanair ONLY

edited 13 October 2017 at 1:22PM in Flight Delay Compensation
3.7K replies 625.4K views

Replies

• 111KAB wrote: »
    In my opinion you wrote two letters which were a waste of time, effort and a stamp!

Three letters by the sound of things. I was trying to follow advice from this website though.

Probably best to just put up with delays and ignore EU261 then, which is what the airlines want except when they charge an EU261 levy on all flights.
  • JPearsJPears Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Three letters by the sound of things. I was trying to follow advice from this website though.

Probably best to just put up with delays and ignore EU261 then, which is what the airlines want except when they charge an EU261 levy on all flights.
    Court action time, old chap.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • VaubanVauban Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    JPears wrote: »
    Court action time, old chap.

Or let it drop. Unless you are lucky, this is not a letter writing exercise but requires much effort and some talent (though not legal expertise). Are you really up for the hard work a successful claim entails?
  • JPears wrote: »
    When was the flight cancelled?

The flight was cancelled while we were sitting at the departure gate, so in other words, with no notice. In fact, it was probably an hour or so after the flight was due to leave.
  • edited 21 August 2013 at 10:55AM
    JPearsJPears Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 August 2013 at 10:55AM
    aoifej wrote: »
    The flight was cancelled while we were sitting at the departure gate, so in other words, with no notice. In fact, it was probably an hour or so after the flight was due to leave.
    Back to your original query!
    I believe, but may be corrected, that since your flight was cancelled less than 14 days before flight, that you are entitled to both refund and compensation. Reg261/2004 is intended to COMPENSATE passengers for denied boarding/cancellations and delays and presumably as a deterrent to the airlines. Neither of these intentions appear to be occurring!
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Vauban wrote: »
    Or let it drop. Unless you are lucky, this is not a letter writing exercise but requires much effort and some talent (though not legal expertise). Are you really up for the hard work a successful claim entails?

Probably not, but as a point of principle I would like the EU rules about delays to be clear and enforced by the industry. Why should individual passengers have to take airlines to court to get compensated for a very straight-forward six hour delay caused by a technical fault on the airline's plane? As things stand, it seems to be in the airlines' interest to just reject claims as they know most people won't bother with legal action (especially when the airline is registered in Ireland).
  • 111KAB111KAB Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Probably not, but as a point of principle I would like the EU rules about delays to be clear and enforced by the industry.

Wouldn't we all! You can write to the CAA, get nowhere so then write to Secretary of State for Transport and the matter will be referred back to the CAA. You can write to your local MEP, get nowhere, then write to a member of the Transport EU Transport Committee, get nowhere, and write direct to the EU and get nowhere. You could write to your MP who probably will not understand what you are talking about. Any more suggestions?
  • VaubanVauban Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have tried howling at the moon, but that was equally effective too ...
  • edited 22 August 2013 at 1:38PM
    yorkie1980yorkie1980 Forumite
    190 Posts
    edited 22 August 2013 at 1:38PM
    Well, having done my research on here, I decided to opt for a personalised letter rather than the standard claim on the (naive) assumption they might treat it differently, but nope, got the same as everyone else - a technical fault is an EC.

For info my Germany - England flight was delayed by 6 hours (due to fly 6.30am, flew 12.30pm). No info provided at airport by any staff.

Technical fault part of their reply: "(sorry for the delay to your flight) which was due to an unexpected safety/technical problem with the aircraft due to operate your flight. It was necessary to delay the departure of this flight until the fault was rectified and the aircraft was cleared for operation by our Engineering Department....As this delay was outside Ryanair's control (Extraordinary Circumstances), we regret to advise that no compensation is due under EU261."

Furthermore I claimed expenses as I missed all my pre-paid connections so had to pay £150 to get home. They also told me in their response that they aren't liable for any expenses after arrival (they didn't provide any evidence for this.)

Expenses part of their response: "Please be advised that Ryanair is not liable for any prepaid expenses, and once a passenger arrives in their destination airport Ryanair has no further liability for any further costs incurred. As a result of such we hold no liability for any transport costs after arrival in 'airport name'."

It seems there's mixed views on this forum. Given the most recent discussions it looks like I'll be truly wasting my time, but I don't want to give in at the first hurdle if it's just scare tactics and/or an assumption that people won't follow it up.

I'm quite tenacious, but I'm not going to waste my time chasing if there's only, for instance, a 1% chance of success!

Any ideas where to go next? :(
  • Hi,

My partner was on holiday with the kids in Spain, and was due to fly home on what turned out to be the second day of the French air traffic controller's strike.

After watching their flight time being delayed multiple times, then eventually cancelled, they were in the airport some 11hrs+ before they were eventually ferried to a hotel after being informed the earliest flight they could put them on to get them home, was going to be 6 DAYS later.

Now, I've been reading the various threads here, and can see that it appears 'industrial action' falls under the banner of 'Extraordinary Circumstances', thus giving Ryanair a defacto get out from paying any compensation, but...

My partner was not contacted about any potential delays prior to arriving at the airport to fly home.

Beyond the point where they checked in for their flight, they never even saw a Ryanair staff member during the whole 11hrs+ in the aiport and were fed all the information by third parties or other passengers who were given info by third parties. (General airport staff and security were far more helpful than the Ryanair staff who seem to have hid in a broom cupboard or something for the rest of the day.)

I haven't yet researched when the strike was announced, and I'm a little confused by things I'm reading that seems to suggest that some airlines still flew????

Ryaniar have subsequently offered reimbursment of 'some' of my partner's expenses and obviously covered the hotel they arranged for them, although the expenses offered fall quite a bit short of the extra money they spent being stuck there for almost and extra week.

Anyway, aside from the truly shocking customer service... isn't there some sort of legal obligation on the part of the airline to inform passengers of potential delays, especially if they become aware of them well in advance? (I know the strike wasn't initiated without any warning.)

If EU directives or whatever, allow airlines to consider industrial action as extraordinary circumstances, it should come with the caveat that the airlines take all reasonable measures to inform passengers and start making alternative travel plans as soon as any industrial action is announced, or they invalidate this as a reason to deny passengers compensation.

It really feels like they opted to cross their fingers and just hope the strike would be called off, instead of planning in advance for the fall out if it went ahead, and keeping passengers informed.

Personally, I've never had a serious problem with an airline (budget airlines included), but... I'm truly stunned by the way Ryanair handled this situation and how they treated my partner.

Is there any way to claim against this appalling service, or is the less than adequate compensation for essential expenses the best my partner can expect to get?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Del.