Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Ryanair ONLY

Options

Comments

• annacorr
    Options
    Thank you for the quick answer! It was actually 2 passengers, and I did receive a payment of 500 eur on my credit card.
    What sounds strange to me is that Ryanair asks me to call to Ireland (I am from Italy) and there's no way to communicate by email. Eventually I called, and they wanted me to give them my credit card details on the phone, which I didn't. THEY made a mistake and I have to get crazy in order to sort things out.
    I would like to know if this is the usual way Ryanair handles this kind of situations.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 December 2017 at 10:59AM
    Options
    I think I would request a written letter detailing exactly how the mistake was made. Ask for all the flight details, booking reference, your passport numbers etc. If it is a genuine request from Ryanair, they should have all the details. And unfortunately you should repay them as you are not due compensation under regualtion 261/2004 from the detials you have given.
    Unless of course you have already given these details as part of your communication, lets hope not if it is a scam.
    I still find it more than unusual that Ryanair made a compensation payment without you requesting it.
    Playing devil's advocate though it would be interesting to see how Ryanair would seek redress, apart from not allowing you to fly on Ryanair... ;)
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • david_now
    Options
    TMDaines wrote: »
    Hi David,

If you read my rather lengthy posts, you will find that I am in exactly the same boat as you due to the same batch of cancellations on the same day due to the French air traffic control strike.

I had exactly the same problem as you as being unable to rebook flights with Ryanair's assistance due to their web chat and helpline being unavailable, so I too booked another flight through them manually.

I had no trouble with getting Ryanair to pay my expenses for an extra night's accommodation and meals, and for travel from Barcelona to Girona and then Liverpool to my home. They however refunded the cost of my original flights, instead of reimbursing the cost of my more expensive rebooked flights and they are refusing to comply, even though they should.

Like me, you won't be eligible for the additional, lucrative compensation, as the cancellation was due to a general strike, which counts as exceptional circumstances.

Thanks for that,

I sent the following through resolver

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Dear customer services team,

I am writing regarding a delayed/cancelled Ryanair flight.

The judgement of the Court of Justice of the European Union in Tui & others v CAA confirmed the applicability of compensation, as set out in the Sturgeon case. As such, I am seeking compensation under EC Regulation 261/2004 for this flight. The details are as follows:

Booking reference: xxxxxx
    Existing complaint reference:
    Flight number: FR2346
    Departure airport: Palma de Mallorca Airport, PMI
    Scheduled departure time: Tue 10/10/17 7:45
    Arrival airport: Newcastle International Airport, NCL

Number of passengers: 1
    Other passenger names:

Based on the above details, I am seeking the fixed compensation as specified in EC 261/2004.

I am also seeking reimbursement of the following expenses.

Flight FR2346 at 07:45 ( due Newcastle 09:35) on 10/10/2017 was cancelled.

I received a text with sincere apologies at 14:11 on 9/10/2017.

I was directed to the website to rebook, but the web chat as well as the UK and Spanish helpline numbers were not accepting calls due to 'high call volumes'.

At 15:00 I then booked another flight on ryanair to Edinburgh , FR6657 12:10 on 10/10/2017. I paid EUR 81.99 for the flight. Booking Reference L3E9XH.

At 15:30 , ryanair sent me an email saying i could use their website to change my cancelled flight for free, but I had already booked and paid for a new flight. This was after I had already booked and paid for alternative flight.

The Edinburgh flight was then delayed but I eventually arrived in Edinburgh at 16:35 ( due 14:15) on 10/10/2017.

I took the bus to Edinburgh , train to Newcastle, arriving at 19:40, over twelve hours late.

My additional expenses were

TAXI HOTEL TO PMI Airport ( My existing transfer was no longer valid )
    EURO 24.00 = £21.97

Ryanair Flight 10/10/2017 PMI-EDI FR6657 - Booking Reference xxxxx.
    EUR 81.99 = £75.07

AIRLINK BUS EDI Airport to City
    £4.50

TRAIN EDINBURGH to NEWCASTLE
    £21.10

Total Expenses = £122.64

I look forward to a full response to this letter within 14 days. If I do not receive a satisfactory response I intend to pursue my complaint further, which could mean taking it to court.

Yours faithfully
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

They replied

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Dear Mr xxxxx,

I refer to your online correspondence dated 10/12/2017.

We sincerely regret the cancellation of your flight FR2346 from Palma to Newcastle on the 10/10/2017, which was due to a French Air Traffic controllers strike, outside of our control.

As this cancellation was unexpected and therefore outside Ryanair’s control we regret to advise that no monetary compensation is due under EU Regulation 261/2004.

I wish to confirm that a refund of £9.99!has been processed by Ryanair back onto the card which was!used to pay for your reservation and ending with the last four digits 1035.

Your bank may then take 5-7 days to process this refund amount back to your account.

Nevertheless, if you incurred any additional reasonable receipted expenses during the delay (such as accommodation, meals, refreshment, transportation), please submit copies of your receipted expenses!and your bank details (i.e. Account Holder/Bank/Account Number/IBAN/Swift)!by clicking on the below link and uploading your documents for our review.!
    !
    url removed

I assure you of our best intentions at all times.

Yours sincerely,
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I find it strange that air traffic control allowed flights to edinburgh and not newscast;e on the same day, but there you go.

So , have received my £9.99 , original flight cost back.

I would have thought it was reasonable to expect my additional costs , i.e. the higher priced flight and reasonable onward travel costs.

Is there any chance of getting that or should i just put it down to experience.

Should I write back through resolver or reply direct to their email ?

Thanks
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You should get back all the additional expenses you incurred except the taxi to your original point of departure (but try to claim anyway as a goodwill gesture)
    If Ryanair won't budge on their responsibilities make a letter of complaint to CAA then start legal proceedings.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • themass
    themass Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    TMDaines wrote: »
    I don't think the CAA will help though as there is an CAA-approved body which Ryanair belongs to. I might still approach them anyway as they seem to have an interest in Ryanair.

Would anyone recommend going through AviationADR or is that a complete waste of time?

ADR is a long process but it is free and Ryanair are tied in with them, fill out their form online and they will reply giving you advice regarding your claim.
  • SFW77
    SFW77 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I had a flight delay in October with Ryanair & I did receive a letter from them dated 20/11/17 saying that they would be paying me EU261 compensation within 10 working days.

On Christmas Day that will be 6 weeks ago. I've been onto the live chat several times and no one can tell me where or when the cheque is coming.

What can I do? It's more irritating because we went on a trip with several other people, all booked separately, and they have all been paid, some of whom put their claim in after us.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi SFW77,

It's not unusual I'm afraid.

You could ask them to refer your case to AviationADR...

https://www.aviationadr.org.uk/how-to-complain-about/airline-complaints/

It might make then see sense before they have to fork out even more money for the referral.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • SFW77
    SFW77 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for the reply!

Do I ask them to do that because I tried to do it and if it's resolved they won't take it. Or do I tell ADR it's not resolved?
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Options
    You should ask RA to do it initially. If they refuse, and its over 8 weeks from placing your claim with them, you can go directly to AviationADR.

I don't believe that your claim is settled until you receive your compensation but AviationADR may say otherwise.

Failing that you would have to use the ESCP (European Small Claim Procedure) to initiate legal proceeding after sending them an LBA (letter before action).

See what RA and then AviationADR say first tho.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Matt15
    Matt15 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Tyzap wrote: »
    Hi Matt15,

This is what should have happened....

b. Right to reimbursement, re-routing or rebooking in the event of denied boarding or cancellation
    Article 8(1) of the Regulation imposes on air carriers the obligation to offer passengers a triple choice, between (i) reimbursement of the ticket price36 and, in the case of connections, a return flight to the airport of departure at the earliest opportunity, (ii) re-routing to their final destination either at the earliest opportunity or, (iii) re-routing at a later date at the passenger’s convenience under comparable transport conditions, subject to availability of seats. As a general principle, when the passenger is informed about the cancellation of the flight and is correctly informed on the available choices, the choice offered to passengers under Article 8(1) is to be made once. In such cases, as soon as the passenger has chosen one of the three options under Article 8(1)(a),(b) or (c), the air carrier no longer has any obligation linked to the other two options. Nonetheless, the obligation to compensation may still apply according to Article 5(1)(c) in connection with Article 7.
    The air carrier should simultaneously offer the choice between reimbursement and re-routing. In the case of connecting flights, the air carrier should simultaneously offer the choice between reimbursement and a return flight to the airport of departure and re-routing. The air carrier has to bear the costs for re-routing or a return flight, and must reimburse the costs for the flight borne by the passenger where the air carrier does not comply with its obligation to offer re-routing or return under comparable transport conditions at the earliest opportunity. Where the air carrier does not offer the choice between reimbursement and re-routing and, in the case of connecting flights, reimbursement and a return flight to the airport of departure and re-routing, but decides unilaterally to reimburse the passenger, he or she is entitled to a further reimbursement of the price difference with the new ticket under comparable transport conditions.
    Thanks for the reply Tyzap. I'm still not clear however whether we have a valid claim or not. There were no connecting flights involved. We live in Krakow and were getting a direct flight home from Stansted. Ryanair gave us a choice between reimbursement and a rescheduled flight on the first flight that Ryanair had available which was 4 days later. My wife opted to take the reimbursement and booked an Easyjet flight from Gatwick instead as this would get her back one day earlier even though it cost significantly more than the reimbursement. Is Ryanair obligated to cover the cost of the Easyjet flight as this was the first available option to get to Krakow or are they only obligated to offer the first available flight on their own airline?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback