Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Options

Comments

• JP1901
    JP1901 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    David_e wrote: »
    It's unlikely to achieve anything, to be honest. If you are up against a time limit be ready to do what you need to do to start legal action. If it's a case that probably depends on the outcome of the Huzar case, and you are not approaching any time limit, you might be as well waiting.

My claim dates back to 2010 so I guess I am up against a time limit, I suppose I should look at a NWNF company but then I am not sure if it is worth it as the payment due is only about £500 - I assume a NWNF will take a fairly large chunk of that for themselves anyway
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JP1901 - unlikely a NWNF will take on given 4 year plus - a NWNF will take around 27% so assuming a 600€ payment this will leave you with around 410€ after costs so £350.
  • JP1901
    Options
    111KAB wrote: »
    JP1901 - unlikely a NWNF will take on given 4 year plus - a NWNF will take around 27% so assuming a 600€ payment this will leave you with around 410€ after costs so £350.

oh well I shall see what happens, I will try to see how far I can get and if I have any success I will let you all know.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    bumped for noobs
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • ionside
    Options
    BA admit a 16 hour delay, but claim an exceptional circumstance. I have referred it to CAA but months of correspondence has achieved nothing - they say they have no power to enforce compensation.
    So - the story is that with all the passengers embarked at Dulles, the co-pilot was doing last minute checks under the plane when he slipped on ice and broke his arm. There was no standby pilot so the flight was delayed overnight. My take is that there should always be a pilot on call, as there are many reasons why one would go off sick, and this smacks of saving money by understaffing.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ionside wrote: »
    My take is that there should always be a pilot on call, as there are many reasons why one would go off sick, and this smacks of saving money by understaffing.

Good luck with that argument - I am afraid you might struggle. A pilot slipping in a freak accident immediately prior to take-off will be regarded by most judges as extraordinary, I suspect. So your claim will rest on what reasonable measures the airline took.

I think the airline will argue that the costs of keeping a spare pilot at every foreign airport they operate from would be prohibitively expensive. My advice is to focus on a) the chronology of their response (ie did they dispatch the replacement pilot as quickly as possible) and b) did the airline consider offloading passengers onto another carrier, which could have minimised the delay. You will argue, if you take this to court, that BA prioritised their costs over your time.

But to be honest I think you'll have a fight on your hands with this one, and I doubt a NWNF will take it on.
  • razorsedge
    Options
    ionside wrote: »
    broke his arm.

Sounds like crew sickness to me, which many people on this forum agree is NOT an extraordinary circumstance
    The above is just my opinon - which counts for nowt! You must make up your own mind.
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 September 2014 at 4:54PM
    Options
    razorsedge wrote: »
    Sounds like crew sickness to me, which many people on this forum agree is NOT an extraordinary circumstance

To be fair, I don't think you can say all instances and circumstances of "crew sickess" are the same. This was one of the pilots and it apparently happened very shortly before scheduled departure. That's a bit different from one of the cabin crew ringing in sick 3 hours prior.

On the same principal, I personally think a 16 hour delay is poor and I'd be interested to know what steps were taken to minimise that.
  • JP1901
    Options
    well I finally managed to get through to customer services via the executive club line & spoke to a very nice lady who told me she would now take on & investigate my complaint & there would be a resolution within 3 weeks...so..she didn't say no but then they didn't say yes...again we shall wait & see
  • JP1901
    Options
    JP1901 wrote: »
    well I finally managed to get through to customer services via the executive club line & spoke to a very nice lady who told me she would now take on & investigate my complaint & there would be a resolution within 3 weeks...so..she didn't say no but then they didn't say yes...again we shall wait & see

So at 6pm last night I received an email off BA to advise that I was entitled to compensation for my 2010 cancelled flight, they are sending £396.57 to our bank, I didn't keep any other receipts so can't claim anything else but this is nice enough :T:T:T:T:T
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback