Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Options

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jg27052 wrote: »
    Next and final step is the small claims court, but......is there anything else I can do?

think you have it covered...have a good read of Vauban's guide in the FAQs...and if necessary to post further, do so on the BA thread
  • We booked tickets to the Virgin Islands thro BA. Gatwick to Antigua on BA and then Antigua to beef island on liat.
    Liat let us down due to technical problems on the return journey and hence we missed the return flight and returned home 24 hours late.
    BA say they are not due to pay any compensation despite me reading differently in MSE.
    Sorry if this has been covered but couldn't find a similar thread.
    Does anyone have any thoughts?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,548 Forumite
    Options
    We booked tickets to the Virgin Islands thro BA. Gatwick to Antigua on BA and then Antigua to beef island on liat.
    Liat let us down due to technical problems on the return journey and hence we missed the return flight and returned home 24 hours late.
    BA say they are not due to pay any compensation despite me reading differently in MSE.
    Sorry if this has been covered but couldn't find a similar thread.
    Does anyone have any thoughts?

Claims are against the operating airline irrespective of who you booked through or if there was a codeshare number so it is nothing to do with BA
    From your post it appears the problem was with the LIAT Flight on the return journey, you were therefore departing from outside the EU on a non-EU carrier so EU261 does not apply

You can see what your travel insurance will cover for the delay
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,851 Forumite
    Options
    I suspect Austrian law limits claims to three years, here it is 6 unless Thomson's win the right to appeal at the Supreme Court next month, in which case we will all be on tenderhooks until next year
  • silverxx12
    Options
    Hi

I was wondering if someone can just confirm a couple of issues and add anything i missed out on.

I have read through your links relating to being bumped off flights the following happened occurred to me.

Was on a flight from (kbp) kiev to lon got bumped off saying that the flight was overbooked, it was only on the return flight so essentially one way. Ended up getting another flight, different airline, the next day, had to wait approx 18hrs for next flight didn't get any food supplied due to being on special diet.

Also my suitcase got cracked / busted up, so now there is a large crack approx 5 inches, on the other airline which i was put on as a replacement. Can i get compensation for this too?

Can someone confirm how much compensation i am entitled can i get anything for food i was not given and my luggage which got busted - any other points i should be aware of

Thanks again for all your help you guys - feel like a mouse taking on these airlines but don't think its right what they do, so turning to you for help :T

Regards
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 October 2014 at 8:34PM
    Options
    Which airline was it operating the flight from Kiev?

Was it scheduled to stop anywhere before reaching LON?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    silverxx12 wrote: »
    Hi

Also my suitcase got cracked / busted up, so now there is a large crack approx 5 inches, on the other airline which i was put on as a replacement. Can i get compensation for this too?

Regards

I believe you should have reported the damaged case with the carrier or their agents after collecting it. You will struggle to claim for this now.
  • silverxx12
    Options
    it was a direct flight with BA to london was rerouted with UIA next day

To be honest with minimal sleep and food not to mention missing work my main priority was to get back as fast as possible. it has taken me a week just to get into the swing of things. :(

Any suggestions
  • sherpa_2
    sherpa_2 Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all. A quick bit of advice about my rights (which I think i know) but also what's likely to happen in others' experience.

My family bought flights London-Buenos Aires with British Airways - we do the route regularly, as my partner's from there, and with BA (we are Executive Club members). However, we live in Glasgow and didn't buy the the Glasgow-London leg at the time, which we're now planning on buying with Avios.

As i understand it, as we didn't buy the flights in one transaction, the transfer isn't protected, so BA have no obligation to transfer us to another flight. But are they likely in practice to be helpful, if we miss the London-BA flight due to theirs being cancelled or significantly delayed?

I also think (and spoke to our travel insurance company last year to confirm this) that our insurance would cover it if a problem with our first flight causes us to miss the second - but are they likely to fight this, would it be a massive pain the !!!! and we'd need to spend thousands on tickets first and reclaim it later? Or should it be simple?

Basically, I'm trying to decide whether to get flights to London earlier than we need to, in case of problems, but this would leave us with 5 hours to kill in Heathrow (as opposed to about 2.5) - with no access to lounges. We did do this last year, but on top of having a small child my wife is also now pregnant, so we're reluctant to make the journey longer than it need be. I'm inclined to be safe and take the earlier flight, my wife think's it's really unlikely that the Glasgow flight would be delayed enough for this to matter.

Any advice/experience gratefully received.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have read elsewhere that, if you have two tickets bought separately but with the same carrier, you can call customer services and have the tickets "linked together". This has the advantage not only of protecting you if the connection fails, but also means your luggage gets checked through to your final destination (which I don't think it would otherwise?)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback