Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Comments

• Hi, I'm a little confused by all the regs etc, so wondered if anyone would be able to advise me if myself and my fiancee are able to claim any compensation from our recent experiences with BA.

Originally scheduled to fly out from Heathrow to New York (JFK) on BA0117 at 08.15 on 8/2/13, landing at 11.15 US time. At approx 3am I got a txt saying flight was cancelled (due to snow in NY area). We had booked a hotel in London for the night due to early flight so went straight to airport and were told next available flight out was 2 days later, or they could put us on a flight to Philadelphia the same afternoon, or we could have a refund, so to avoid missed hotels etc we changed to the Philly flight. This was scheduled to leave Heathrow at 12.15 but ended up leaving at 14.31 (due to a aircraft change due to an oil leak in the original aircraft), we landed in Philly 137 minutes late. We then had to pay $126 to get trains from Philly to our hotel in NY, finally getting into Manhattan at approx 21.30 US time.

The return journey was also messed up. BA1511 from JFK was scheduled to depart at 18.15 but ended up taking off at 21.33, and landed in London 172 mins late (the delay for this one was first them not having enough meals on board, then having 'forgotten' to load all the luggage, then them noticing a 'slight' problem with the hydraulics which needed a quick check by maintenance, during the whole 3 hours we were sitting on the aircraft having already boarded).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Outbound flight - no compensation as cancellation was due to weather
    return journey - no compensation as the arrival time was less than 3 hours after the scheduled arrival time

You could try for reimbursement of the train to get you to NY
  • Hi,
    Can anyone please advise the best BA address to send my template letter to?

Thanks

Andrew
  • topyam
    topyam Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Mark2spark wrote: »
    If Heathrow was experiencing delays due to the weather, then ATC would have been allowing at least 2 minutes between flights, not one, so disruption would have been at at least 50%. Flow rates at 12 is 5 minutes between flights. Planes land once a minute at Heathrow. So one hour of disruption leaves approx 48 flights delayed. The knock on effects last hours for sure.
    IMO no claim.

Though..could you not argue that they didn't have to cancel - they could have delayed the flight?
  • So...14 days is up tomorrow. How long should I wait before I chase do you think? A week? Thanks.
    :grin: Save me from spending...
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2008 - £1004:T 2009 - £1139 2010 - £1260 :j 2011 - £1557 2012 - £740 :beer: No 195 Target £1k
  • topyam
    topyam Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    They could have done so but BA's operations team clearly thought that there was no reasonable prospect of the flight operating in those circumstances.

The bigger question (but part of yours) is whether you consider BA to be making an operational decision to cancel all short haul flights whilst maintaining all the long haul flights when similar situations occur at LHR. This is a purely economic or revenue-driven decision IMO and one day a brave or well-funded passenger will take this specific aspect to a precedent-setting court which may well rule that BA's propensity for cancelling short haul v long haul cannot be justified on every occasion and could lead to compensation for the delay/cancellation.

I still think they didn't have to cancel the flight but recognise I may be fighting a losing battle...
  • We have followed this thread for a while and I'm pleased to report that BA agreed to pay up last night, I'm told 3600 euro's are on the way to us - Many Thanks to all you guys
  • neilogg
    neilogg Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Lodged a claim with BA about 2 months ago, (details on p215 of main thread). Sent LBA on Monday :)and received letter today saying a cheque for 2x 600 Euros will follow. Many thanks to those on the site who gave helpful advice.
  • I originally sent an email with my claim. Will send a hard copy as I've had no reply :(
    :grin: Save me from spending...
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2008 - £1004:T 2009 - £1139 2010 - £1260 :j 2011 - £1557 2012 - £740 :beer: No 195 Target £1k
  • medism
    medism Posts: 8 Forumite
    Lodged a claim (for me and a relative) via BA's website on 16th January 2012 for cancellation of BA0633 on 16 Feb 2010. Received automated reply web reply and after 2 weeks, contacted customer services by phone. They confirmed they had received the claim, they had all information they needed and that it could take up to 90 days...
    On Monday I received e-mail that they are sending us 2 cheques of 400 Euros. Today both cheques arrived!!!
    Thank you all for your information and help! :T
    To the BA customer service staff at the airport of cancellation (ATH) who laughed at me when I asked about compensation or upgrade on the next flight: Who is laughing now?? :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback