New Post Advanced Search

Has anyone tried Onspeed?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
82 replies 67.4K views

Replies

• Andy88 wrote:
    Therefore, mbspuk, I respectfully suggest you retract your attack on Onspeed
    You appear to have visited MSE forums on Thursday and Friday.

Why so silent?
  • SineWaverSineWaver Forumite
    3 posts
    Okay, this is the first forum I've seen where people aren't slagging OnSpeed off. Its refreshing to see the world through non-techie eyes for a change and I can see what you're saying about the apparent speed increase. Be warned though, its not all plain sailing. Without doing more resaerch than I'm prepared to do on a Sunday afternoon I'll explain a couple of things about OnSpeed's service.

What happens when you request a website via OnSpeed's servers is: the server downloads the webpage to itself; it compresses it at varying levels; then it send the compressed page over to you. Essentially this means that pure text pages reach you faster, assuming you have a slow, dial up connection. Images (which should already be compressed using jpg or gif etc) are compressed further, which normally means they suffer degrigation.

The webpage will still be refering to an image with a specific file name. This file is now stored in your computer's cache so you can't turn the service off and expect to be able to download the image again without first deleting your cache or finding and removing the image from a hidden area on your computer's hard drive.

Its reassuring that https (secure http protocol) won't work with the service as these pages are what money transfers sites (shopping, banking etc) use when you add secure personally information. Its further reasuring as the OnSpeed system effectively tracks your progress across the internet. If you want to be lightly paranoid about this think of OnSpeed selling this information to vendors for "targeted" adverts and spam. If you want to be more heavily paranoid think of government agencies scanning OnSpeed's servers for users who've been to pages with "bomb" or "children" in the title.

OnSpeed service will not speed up downloads as these files are already compressed. You may get a degridation on the internet's truely "free" phone service, Skype, since skype is set to use port 80 if it cannot use it's prefered port (port 80 is the port that http defaults to).

Lastly if your dial up is costing you £16/month for always on anytime connection and Onspeed costs a further £6 then you may as well get Bulldog's 4mb service for £19.50 and save yourself some change.

Onspeed is a good service for people who only look at text based web pages but if that's all you use the web for you're really missing out.
  • That's a good summary, with just a couple of remarks arising. I don't think the privacy issue arises in ways that others have implied, and even you hint of. In some ways Onspeed may enhance privacy by being a proxy.

Adserving companies run their own systems; I was shocked the first time I visited a website in America and the first advert was for the forthcoming tour of an English football team; this was long before I used Onspeed or installed SpywareBlaster and others.

You've made an error in the pricing; Onspeed is £25 a year retail and supplied free by some ISPs. My dialup costs about £2 a month; the combined cost of the two has slowed me down looking for broadband.
  • klondykeklondyke Forumite
    463 posts
    I managed to find a link for a 14 day free trial of onspeed so that you can try it out for yourselves - https://www.onspeed.com/en/trial/?id=x7e0fu3&A=retail-trial
    Cheers
    Mike

That link no longer refers to 14 day trial, (it did when I first looked!) - but I noticed that they offer a 14 day money back guarantee 'if not satisfied' anyway.

Heh heh - I'm using it now, having used GreasyPalm link so, with luck will get £3.75 rebate.

So far, it's great - internet has been like treacle lately, but even MSE is downloading fast at the moment:-)
  • julia88julia88 Forumite
    17 posts
    kjfmuttie wrote:
    According to my Onspeed Performance record, I have now had it for 5 months, 1 week and 16 hours. My savings have been a meagre 44 minutes. I only pay 1 p/minute for internet usage 24/7 so I reckon even by the end of a year, I'll still be heavily out of pocket.

Please advise. Thanks.
    :(Sad Mum
  • VirginieVirginie Forumite
    13 posts
    If anyonw is interested by on-speed, Game (yes, the video game shop) is having a special offer this week. You can get the cd with one year usage for 9.99 when you buy anything with it. You can buy it either in the high street shop, or from https://www.game.net. But be warned, there is probably only a couple of days left before they change their deal of the week.

I bought it for myself as my connection is very slow. And it does help and allows me to browse shopping website without spending hours downloading the pictures ( as I set the quality at worse. I don't care about display pictures)
  • manormanmanorman Forumite
    21 posts
    Cant seem to get it to work with wanadoo..thoughit was fine with Virgin dial-up? Any thoughts?
  • PaulsPauls Forumite
    752 posts
    I took part in the BT 14 day trial of onspeed, and thought it was pretty good, but then I tried to uninstall it.

I've since spent around 3 hours on the phone to BT Tech support trying to get my machine to stay connected to the internet. I've re-installed drivers & even replaced my modem, but still my machine claims it's dropped my connection (even though the phone line is still connected). It then 'magically' reconnects without even dialling out??

It looks like I've gotta spend the next week or so rebuilding my machine. And with a new baby thats gonna be a bit of a challenge.

:mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Pauls, take a look at Proxy settings. I don't know if this is the problem or not; ask Tech support as well.

Tools > Internet Options > Connections > Settings > Advanced

mine (with Onspeed on) says for http 127.0.0.1 port 5400

if yours still says that, see what Tech say about changing it.
  • mike_patersonmike_paterson Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    klondyke wrote:
    That link no longer refers to 14 day trial, (it did when I first looked!) - but I noticed that they offer a 14 day money back guarantee 'if not satisfied' anyway.

Heh heh - I'm using it now, having used GreasyPalm link so, with luck will get £3.75 rebate.

So far, it's great - internet has been like treacle lately, but even MSE is downloading fast at the moment:-)

It is still free today !
    To infinity and beyond!