Has anyone tried Onspeed?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
82 replies 67.4K views

Replies

• amiga1amiga1 Forumite
    35 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    mbspuk wrote:
    If your anything like me and value your privacy you'll want to read their privacy clauses.

Couldn't agree more, their Privacy Policy alone was enough to put me off. :eek:
  • Have had onspeed whilst on dial up and isdn. Yes it does speed up regular websurfing, but only marginally. Image quality can be poor although you can alter the settings, the better the quality the slower the download. Problem is that whilst downloading files or secure surfing onspeed doesn't work.
    For £25 per month it is not a bad deal, but don't get fooled. It is not the same as asdl/broadband.
    For broadband - don't bother with onspeed. the difference, if any, is not noticeble. Actually I have btyahoo broadband and found my connecttion quicker when I removed onspeed.
  • No-one has mentioned yet that if you use BT as your ISP, Onspeed is free as part of the package. I had been using Onspeed for 6 months before this was offered (Sod's Law). I agree with most of the above - it does speed up slow connections, particularly if you use the option of greatly reducing image quality of web pages. Downloading, as mentioned, does not benefit at all.
  • For information research you could try using text only browsers - they don't download anything else (including any underlying invisible rubbish). They are astonishingly fast and I have found the speed quite addictive for technical work - they can seem a little quirky at first but they are easy to get used to. (I understand they are also better for certain types of visual impairment) - I don't know what exists for microsoft but the venerable Lynx on linux based systems doesn't cost any money and doesn't involve you in any privacy agreements

Available for a number of platforms see:
    http://lynx.browser.org/
  • I use daytime only dialup from Tiscali @ 4.99 a month. They have just introduced an accelerator which works in a similar way to Onspeed but is totally FREE! Seems to work OK. Can be easily adjusted for speed/quality, or disabled if required.
  • scurrier wrote:
    I've been using OnSpeed for a few months now, and in conjunction with Flexi-Surf ISP at £5 for 60 hours per month, and using either Opera or Firefox browsers, I get pretty good response on normal web pages.
    The biggest difference is the quality of non-text.
    At full speed, picture quality is poor, but there are six speed settings that you can adjust at any time, to improve the quality but slow the speed.
    Security pages (https) are not loaded via OnSpeed so they are at original speed and quality.
    However, I do have a couple of quibbles.
    Firstly, sometimes OnSpeed doesn't function properly and I may have to disconnect and re-dial my ISP or even re-boot my PC, but this doesn't happen very often.
    Secondly, if a web page is loaded at full speed and it contains a picture that I would like to be of better quality, I haven't found a way of achieving this. If I reset the speed setting to "original" and reload the page, the quality doesn't improve. I've tried deleting the page from my Web Page History, but this doesn't seem to work either.
    Anybody know if there is a way around this?
    Hi
    I know that if you press F5 it will refresh the page you are looking at. I sometimes have to do this 2 or 3 times. It might work with your problem.
  • No-one has mentioned yet that if you use BT as your ISP, Onspeed is free as part of the package. I had been using Onspeed for 6 months before this was offered (Sod's Law). I agree with most of the above - it does speed up slow connections, particularly if you use the option of greatly reducing image quality of web pages. Downloading, as mentioned, does not benefit at all.
    As usual, BT try not to inform customers about these things. I assume that it is offered on ANYTIME which is £16 per month so almost the same as the cheapest Broadband !
    For anybody who does not always need to wait for images to download, and this is the main source of slow speeds, you can always turn off SHOW IMAGES in the Tools - Internet options -Advnace - Untick the Show Pictures box. At least by doing this you would still be able to load pictures on web sites where you need them.
  • RuthvenRuthven Forumite
    1 posts
    [SIZE=6]I have been using Onspeed recently, but I cannot say I am all that pleased with its performance. I am now on NTL broadband, which I am pleased with,
    ok it costs much more than Onspeed , but I guess you get what you pay for.

Ruthven
    [/SIZE]
  • dineroukdinerouk Forumite
    11 posts
    I've had it almost year now but won't bother renewing it. It works fine half the time, but the rest is like your connection ploughing through syrup. And of course if you want to see images in their best light, then you have to disable it. I shall pay £2 a month more and get broadband
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • I've been using this for 6 months and have not been impressed. sometimes it works other times it doesn't. The icon that is supposed to appear on the task bar more often doesn't load and going to the programme menu doesn't work. If you have got the icon you have some control over the software. If it doesn't appear you have no control. Images have loss of quality but this doesn't matter most of the time, however it is possible to alter image quality if you have the task bar icon. I have tried ringing the support telephone line on many occasions always failing to get a reply, similarly I have tried email and the interactive help but have had no response to either. A dissatisfied customer then!