Whats you favourite campsite, be it tent, caravan or motorome?

Options

Comments

• sooty&sweep
    sooty&sweep Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Have you looked at https://www.campsite.co.uk you'll find lots of campsites there.

Cheers

Jen
  • zenmaster
    zenmaster Posts: 3,151 Forumite
    edited 15 June 2013 at 1:43AM
    Options
    This thread has, quite literally, brought a tear to my eye. I will explain shortly, if anyone is interested.
    Klug wrote: »
    We've got 2 favourites.
    Ulwell Park, Swanage in Dorset and Wooda in Bude, Cornwall.
    Both kept in pristine condition, good views, shop on site and lovely hosts.
    I know Ullwell ... uh well ... and agree it's a fine place but my personal favourite is Norden Farm.

It is (or was) a working farm. The first time we stayed there, whilst trying to get off to sleep, the cattle were making an unholy racket. I got up to see what was going on and was, apologetically, informed that they were giving birth. Some may have complained and demanded their money back but I just went back to the tent and told the wife "get the kids up NOW"! We spent an hour or so, in our PJs, watching the calves being born. Priceless.

Then we discovered the fishing lake.

Cue many years of Lads and Dads weekend visits (sometimes just the Dads :D). Ladies/girls were invited but they did not seem to see it the same way.

So, basic facilities, disturbed nights and fishing. What's not to like? We are thinking of taking my grandson there for his first camp in the summer (if we get a summer).

The tears? Well, many, many years ago I got a job as camping advisor for the local tourist board.

Out of numerous candidates 4 of us were appointed. Me (a boy in my early 20s) and 4 retirees, one of which was a former RAF Wing Commander. At the final briefing he was so outspoken, bombastic and downright embarrassing that I hoped that I didn't get stuck with him.

I did.

My good fortune. Doug was the finest human being I have ever met.

Talk about going the extra mile ... Doug would walk 500 miles (and walk 500 more) to ensure the well-being of the person standing in front of him. He turned a minimum wage job (before we had a minimum wage) into a life mission. We broke so many rules that summer and, only now, do I realise we got away with it because he was so outspoken, bombastic and downright embarrassing.

I'm sorry to have hijacked your thread for my own personal reminiscences but thank you for reminding me of this extraordinary individual and I hope that, if you are ever stuck without a campsite for the night, you bump into someone like Doug.
  • fluffysox
    fluffysox Posts: 1,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    replying so i can subscribe. (for future reference) will try to find the names of fave campsites when i get a chance ;)
    2016 MFW OPd £2000, 2015 MFW OPd 3000 then bought new bigger house with bigger mortgage.
    MFW OPd 2014 £2000 2013 £9700 2012 £2848.39 2011 £2509.58 2010 £11000 2009 £112002008 £4939 :D
    Beautiful boys born May 2011 and October 2013 :)
  • claire21
    claire21 Posts: 32,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Bumping as weathers picking up.

Had a lovely foodie weekend 2 weeks ago at Padstow Touring Park, Cornwall
  • katskorner
    katskorner Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    Options
    Hoburne Torbay (now Devon Bay) is our favourite site ever as it really is a cracking location and suits our family ages etc. Saying that we are heading off to Burnham Holiday Park in Burnham-on-sea tomorrow with our van and our kids! :)
    3 kids(DS1 6 Nov, DS2 8 Feb, DS3 24 Dec) a hubby and two cats - I love to save every penny I can!
    :beer:
  • claire21
    Options
    Burnham on Sea, just down the road from me, enjoy!
  • arbroath_lass
    arbroath_lass Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    Options
    Applecross http://www.applecross.uk.com/campsite/

Stunning location, lovely people and no phone signal. Bliss,
  • Enid0511
    Enid0511 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    We loved the caravan site adjacent to Longleat safari park last summer.

If you show your site receipt you can come and go within the grounds of Longleat as often as you want. You can't access the big attractions but you can still do loads.

Worth booking a 2 day pass, but be warned you are supposed to use on 2 consecutive days, I didn't realise this when we booked, but staff were happy to change this for us.

Also worth paying the £4 extra when you get in to go on the safari bus, that way you can see everything and can laugh at the monkeys pulling the car next to you to pieces the trip itself lasts a couple of hours.

Laying in your bed at night, you can hear the lions and sea lions.

Site itself is nice, not a lot to do, but you don't need that much if you have everything 2 mins walk away.

One word of warning, try to get a pitch that doesn't back onto the road, otherwise you will find like we did, that work at Longleat starts very early in the mornings
  • claire21
    Options
    Enid

Longleat not far from me, is it only a 2 min walk from site to the attraction?
  • Enid0511
    Enid0511 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, the caravan site it behind the adventure kingdom part. You walk out the gate, turn left and walk a few 100 yards up the road and you are in Longleat, it's brilliant
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure