Help! I have accidentally acquired a pet BULL!

Options
I'm not sure this is the right place to post this but I can find a pets section:confused:

I live on a farm, its not my farm, but someone elses, however the cattle tend to graze on the land surrounding my house

Over the last couple of months we have had a regular visitor to our kitchen window, a brown and white bull which the kids and I named whiteface. He is extremely tame and laid back and has become part of the family. He sticks his head through for a nosey every day and seems to like the radio!:rotfl:

Last week the farmer mentioned to one of the neighbours they were to go to slaughter and I couldnt bear the thought of losing him, my kids would have been devastated as he's become part of our daily life.

I made the farmer an offer and we have now acquired him. We don't know the first thing about cows/bulls etc except they eat grass and produce milk

If anyone here has a farming background I'd be grateful for any advice, such as, where do I put him to sleep at night? do I leave him out in the field or put him in the outbuilding until the morning? do I have to feed him anything or do they just eat grass?

I've tried looking on the internet but can't find anything, and he seems so lonely on his own, I think he needs a friend...

I know it was really stupid of me to take him on without any experience but I tend to let my heart lead me which is a nuisance sometimes.

Any help REALLY appreciated
I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.

Comments

• aurora_borealis_2
    Options
    I don't know what to say .... I'd be scared stiff of it :eek:
    de do-do-do, de dar-dar-dar ;)
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can't you ask the farmer you bought him from for some advice?
  • hobo28
    hobo28 Posts: 1,601 Forumite
    Options
    I can't believe you MM. Only you could end up in a situation like that!!!!!!!! Ha ha! :) If it were anyone else I'd have thought they were taking the p**s!

I can't stop laughing!

No advice tho! Sorry!
  • foreverskint
    foreverskint Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Sorry, I aquire the odd rabbit or guinea pig............but a bull??:rotfl:

I would ask the farmer, he'll know what he likes and doesn't like won't he?

This has made my day, it really has.

Good luck.:T
  • getcarter
    getcarter Posts: 898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could you maybe pay the farmer to keep looking after it?

Carter

PS I'm very impressed! I thought I was lucky getting a dog - could you imaginge taking it for a walk?:eek:
  • sooz
    sooz Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    Options
    We don't know the first thing about cows/bulls etc except they eat grass and produce milk

please do not try to milk the bull. :eek: :eek: :eek:
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :rotfl: sorry i shouldnt laugh :o but :rotfl:

dont do things by half eh ?

I have no advice i am afraid ,i only have rabbits and hamsters lol

Good luck with it though ! :)
  • doraexplorer
    Options
    :rotfl: :rotfl:
    sooz wrote: »
    please do not try to milk the bull. :eek: :eek: :eek:

best thread in ages just chocked on my tea .... good luck bulls are so big ! made my morning
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO what a ride!

• Shineyhappy
    Shineyhappy Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry I really can't give you any advice apart from maybe try phoning up the RSPCA or popping in to one of their branches and explaining the situation. I would imagine that they would be able to give you some good advice.

I would have done exactly the same in your situation, although it is a funny situation to be in!

Good luck with keeping him!
    Debt Free - done
    Mortgage Free - done
    Building up the pension pot
  • gremlin
    gremlin Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

Talk about jumping in headfirst:rotfl:

I dont have any practical experience but THIS site gives lots of information on caring for livestock.

It also has a free e-book download which might be of interest.

Hope this helps and best of luck with Whiteface - he sounds lovely.

Jane x
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye" - Miss Piggy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure