🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Need not Want.

Options

Comments

• 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    Katzen wrote: »
    On that note Firewyrm, we are going to the theatre tonight and out for dinner on Sat. Neither are strictly needs but we now have plenty of money to do it and still fill the savings pot this month as we've been spending more sensibly in other areas. I've probably saved the price of tonight's tickets off our food shop this week alone just by planning carefully and switching to a cheaper shop

I think this is really important. There is only so much money available to anyone every month. Of course that will be different for everyone here. But if we can all make savings on what we NEED to buy we can all have some extra wants! Holiday anyone??
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • fiftyeighter_2
    Options
    365days wrote: »
    Welcome aboard.

I spent yesterday looking at holidays. Have you looked at the price of cottages over caravans? I have found them to be cheaper. I suppose it depends on what you are after. We have had caravan holidays on camps, I suppose because that's what I had as a kid. However neither me or DS are really interested in the 'entertainment' offered, nor particularly bothered by a pool etc. We like going exploring, chilling, walking etc and I always thought cottages would be hideously expensive but they are on a par with a caravan on a site.

I think the whole Need not Want has been a turning point for me. Before I used to treat myself to little things - mainly because I felt a bit hard done by and thought I deserved it. But as I said before there is NOTHING I WANT more than to stop giving a days worth of earning to the cc companies every month in interest.

Oh maybe I want the flu to leave this household a little more.;)

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have looked at cottages. The caravan I,m hoping to stop at will be £315 for the week. However it is for the 2nd week in September so not in school time. My daughter is in college now so have sorted out this to be the best time all around. I agree with you we like sight seeing, walking etc. can't see the point in going away if you don't explore where you are. But I have to admit I know the area quite well as my son lived there some years ago. We just love it there so much.
  • minicooper272
    Options
    Shelled out £22 for a new handbag last night. The strap on my work bag has lost a lot of it's pleather and I spotted my boss eyeing the scraps hanging off, so I'm pretty sure I can justify it! I had a n£xt £10 off voucher, so bought a slightly more expensive bag (hoping it will last longer). It was £4 for delivery, or I can collect from the store 2 miles away, so that was a bit of a no brainer!

Other than that and fleabay postage, I've not spent any money this week!
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi Fiftyeighter, welcome!

Was thinking about the concepts of needs and wants (well thinking as much as you can when cooking tea and refereeing 2 small boys..) and came across another odd one. Does anyone get caught up in buying stuff that you do need, but not just now?

For example, any time I'm near the relevant shop, I feel I should go and stock up on Herr A's tinned veg (for hiding in kid food), or Mr S' 3 for £10 chicken. Now we use them as staples and I do need to use them, but as I have some in the cupboard/ freezer, I don't need them right now.

Is this an interesting philosophical quandary, or am I just a bit of a nutter, with a hoarding tendency???? :eek::rotfl:
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    OK, I confess. I had a serious attack of the third trimester nibbles and sent OH out for 'cakes'. He spent £7.69 on three packs of Sensations, four Mr Kipling cake boxes, some onion rings and minor bits and bobs. I'm stuffed.

I was tired of being virtuous this week. Stirfry for dinner instead of chinese, I felt entitled to a pig out.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • Katzen
    Katzen Posts: 535 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Welcome fiftyeighter :hello:
    That's exactly what I did and was shocked to say the least.
    I.e dog treats. £2.50
    Top in sale. £3.00
    Little pressure for dd. £5.49
    Pr boots in sale. £10.39
    Lunch out with friend. £7.30

None of them needed just wants and that all in 1 day. Good job I have to catch a bus to nearest town and it takes half an hour. That's nearly £30.

This is exactly how I was until DH and I decided we wanted a deposit for a house. We sat down, made a guess-timate budget and realised we could probably put about 1/3-1/2 of our income into savings without having to try too hard :eek: So, in order to make that a little easier I've switched gas/elec supplier (£5 pm saved) and tv/broadband (around £20 pm saved) paid DH car insurance up front (£60 for the year saved) and am now getting on top of our grocery shopping.
    catshark88 wrote: »
    For example, any time I'm near the relevant shop, I feel I should go and stock up on Herr A's tinned veg (for hiding in kid food), or Mr S' 3 for £10 chicken. Now we use them as staples and I do need to use them, but as I have some in the cupboard/ freezer, I don't need them right now.

I used to do this all the time, and probably still will with stuff like 3 for £10 specials as they won't be on permanently, but other things I will now only buy if they are on the meal plan for two reasons. 1) it helps me keep my grocery bill down each week 2) I'm less likely to stray from our meal plan if there are not so many other options, which means I don't end up wasting food and throwing things out. DH is not a massive fan because sometimes he wants treats and there are none, but he acknowledges he will thank me in the long run when he loses weight and the meal plan and menu board means he can get dinner started before I'm home some nights. It takes some getting used to not having a fridge and cupboards over flowing as that is how my parent's house always was (and still is even though 3 out of 4 kids have flown the nest) but I'd rather have the cash left in my pocket then going in the bin as mouldy food each week!
    Mortgage Outstanding Nov '16 £142,772.75
    Mortgage Additional OPs 2017 Target £4522.80/ Actual £865.00
    GC Feb 0/£200
  • Pandabunnie
    Options
    Welcome fiftyeighter :D

I have to confess I haven't had the best need not want day today, however part of it was out of my control :(

I had to buy my dinner at work because they asked me to stay an extra hour and they only give you a twenty minute break for food so I had no choice but to buy dinner which was £5.00 :eek: I usually take my own but not expecting a break I hadn't.

On the plus side I've almost hit the £10 target for surveys and my sisters birthday is coming up so her present is sorted :D

I would also say that I agree with the buying needs but not right now as taking advantage of a deal will save money in the long run and having a good supply of staples will help curb the appeal of a takeaway, however sometimes only a pizza will do :j
  • elly68
    elly68 Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    well im happy back to lidls tonight for shopping much cheaper everytime than asda as long as i ignore the middle baskets .oh doesnt want cider this week .i was unwell yesterday still feel a bit odd so i think it will be a cheap weekend .im getting so good at need not want that im spending very little .i know someone said earlier about affordability but to be honest mines is purely to declutter cupboards /rooms are bursting its crazy so really am going to stick to this .
    So finally debt free and it feels amazing however continuing here to stay debt free.Next declutter house and body and finally swim under that waterfall x
  • Barbeduk
    Barbeduk Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi, I have been following this thread and have found some of the points you have all made really helpful. If only I'd found MSE 20 years ago!:o
    Make £2020 in 2020 £178.81/£2020
    SPC 13 #51
    Feb Grocery Challenge £4.68/£200
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Shelled out £22 for a new handbag last night. The strap on my work bag has lost a lot of it's pleather and I spotted my boss eyeing the scraps hanging off, so I'm pretty sure I can justify it! I had a n£xt £10 off voucher, so bought a slightly more expensive bag (hoping it will last longer). It was £4 for delivery, or I can collect from the store 2 miles away, so that was a bit of a no brainer!

Other than that and fleabay postage, I've not spent any money this week!

Perhaps if your boss hand an issue with your old bag they would like to reimburse you for the new one ? :rotfl:
    catshark88 wrote: »
    Hi Fiftyeighter, welcome!

Was thinking about the concepts of needs and wants (well thinking as much as you can when cooking tea and refereeing 2 small boys..) and came across another odd one. Does anyone get caught up in buying stuff that you do need, but not just now?

Is this an interesting philosophical quandary, or am I just a bit of a nutter, with a hoarding tendency???? :eek::rotfl:

I know what you mean - I had 'check chopped tomatoes' on my list this week because I'm getting 'low' on ones in my store (errr down to about 6 - 8 cans :eek:) usually I get the KTC ones when they are on 4 for £1 (usually around Ramadam and Eid) but this week I did consider - oh, perhaps I should get some at 3 for £1 'just in case'....in case of what? a mass chopped tom shortage between now and July? Ok, if I run out I will get some more at the slightly more expensive offer but I didn't NEED them then and there. :doh:

fiftyeighter - we were talking about a similar thing today at work. One of my colleagues was saying how he finds it really hard to spend £100 on one item, but wouldn't blink at spending £10 on 10 things.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills