Need not Want.

Options

Comments

• minicooper272
    Options
    Well, I hope he will sort-of reimburse me for it. I'm seriously hoping for/due a pay rise, and a tatty appearance will earn me less. I did remember that I had £30 of Christmas money left though, so that's that sorted!

I did cave to a want earlier- I was thinking of the forum the while I did it, but decided I'd go for it anyway! While picking up my new bag, I spotted a rather nice necklace for £5, and decided it was a good price for it, especially as my usual stock necklace broke this morning... But I guess that can come from the Christmas money, and is the first 'want' I have bought all week!
  • Katzen
    Katzen Posts: 535 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Think I may be taking this a bit far now- sitting in a freezing house wrapped in blankets thinking about whether I NEED the heating on or just WANT it on :rotfl:
    Mortgage Outstanding Nov '16 £142,772.75
    Mortgage Additional OPs 2017 Target £4522.80/ Actual £865.00
    GC Feb 0/£200
  • minicooper272
    minicooper272 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 February 2013 at 9:17AM
    Options
    Katzen wrote: »
    Think I may be taking this a bit far now- sitting in a freezing house wrapped in blankets thinking about whether I NEED the heating on or just WANT it on :rotfl:

Been there! Those were the dark days when building up debt made me petrified to have heating or anything on... But after about 9.30, I think it's bad for your health to have heating on, so I put on 8 layers and toddle off to bed with an hot water bottle.

Our bills are inc in our rent now, but I'm trying to reduce the heating a bit, because I think otherwise our rent will be going up soon (and these guys think 23 degrees is a good temperature for your house :eek:) and I DON'T WANT my rent to go up...
  • elly68
    elly68 Posts: 2,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Barbeduk wrote: »
    Hi, I have been following this thread and have found some of the points you have all made really helpful. If only I'd found MSE 20 years ago!:o
    i think we all think that:D but i think debt busting ,saving must come with age or need these days i came from a house where you robbed peter to pay paul but i find the cc shuffle no different so really i now just want it gone .including the car and house im trying to start a snowball effect in april so it will be gone .:T
    So finally debt free and it feels amazing however continuing here to stay debt free.Next declutter house and body and finally swim under that waterfall x
  • fiftyeighter_2
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for making me feel welcome.
    Reading with interest people's comments and realising how similar we all are. I have to admit I too buy groceries I do not need at that very moment, I.e at the moment I have 5 boxes of sainsburys tea bags in my cupboard. But I do have a good excuse. I live 1/2 drive from the neares mr t and nearly an hour from the other major shops, also I do not have a car. So I have a friend who gets them for me. By the way tried these t bags after reading about them on here. 80 for 47p brilliant. Also I use the t bag twice. ( I hate strong tea) also have. 4 tubes toothpaste, same make 27p.
    Ooh I,m getting good at this. I have learnt soooo much from these forums. A great big thanks to you all.
  • Katzen
    Katzen Posts: 535 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    I was feeling all good and MSE this morning, then I did my sums again and realised £39+£11=£50 not £40 :doh: been to Ald!, picked up a couple of bits that weren't on my list but still got nearly all shopping then the sainsbos for the remaining couple of bits. Did well, picked up our coffee on offer, then went back to return as we don't need it this week and its still on offer next week (love checking the offer dates on the self labels) and also returned the 2 for £4 hot choc we don't need. Thought I'd done well but those couple of extra treats have tipped us over budget and now I don't feel so proud! Lesson learnt for next week I think!
    Mortgage Outstanding Nov '16 £142,772.75
    Mortgage Additional OPs 2017 Target £4522.80/ Actual £865.00
    GC Feb 0/£200
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    Much needed pair of work trousers bought.

Brand new with tags - Monsoon - £8. Hope they fit, if not they can go back on ebay!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • 365days
    Options
    Ok so today I have made the ultimate (for me) need not want decision.

I have given up smoking. There. It's now in black and white.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    365days wrote: »
    Ok so today I have made the ultimate (for me) need not want decision.

I have given up smoking. There. It's now in black and white.

Congratulations! :beer:

Honestly, it is not as hard as you think it is. When you feel a 'craving' just ask yourself, just how bad are the symptoms really? Are we talking curled up in the corner shivering and sweating, or are we just talking about feeling a bit 'blah'? The answer might suprise you. Stay strong. It will pass - honest.

The best thing you can do is avoid any situation where you would normally have lit up for about the next 2 weeks, after that, you start making new habits and you'll forget this one easily.

Ex-smoker since April 2012.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • 365days
    Options
    Thanks Firewyrm

I did give up for 9 months 2 years ago. Stupidly started again. It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be....er....well...except for the starting again bit that is!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure