Need not Want.

Options

Comments

• FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    hedge15 wrote: »
    quick update on the car - herself had an attack of sensible and talked us out of the Alfa in favour of a less enticing Mazda with better fuel economy, a lower insurance group & cheaper tax.

Yes. I had an attack of the sensible a few years ago and chopped my much loved BMW mini in for a Peugeot 106....ack! Still, tax band of only £20 a year (couldnt believe that) and about 400 miles to the tank, I guess it was worth it in the long run.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • minicooper272
    Options
    FireWyrm wrote: »
    Not exactly true....Goods must be fit for purpose and I would definately expect a camera to last more than a single year.

See this : http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2006/mar/25/consumernews.howtocomplain

Certainly worth a letter or two I think...dont you?

I completely agree! But it just depends on the manufacturer, and is also tricky because I didn't buy it myself. I will definitely write to them, and won't accept a brush off, I just won't hold my breath on a replacement!
  • Happybeingme
    Options
    I've read this entire thread today and would love to join in too please :D

I desperately want to sort my money out and clear my debts as quickly as possible. If I can stop with all the 'wants' I think I could clear things 6 months earlier which would be fantastic!
  • minicooper272
    Options
    Bought quite a few wants this weekend.... Finally got round to some new sheets, bought new shoes, wine, snacks, toiletries, lunch. Didn't spend a lot, but I was aiming to have £200 left at the end of the month, and don't think I will any more.

Planning to have a big push at fleabay this week, and to run down my cupboards and toiletry stock. I need bread and ham to the end of the month, and that's it. I don't need anything else. Definitely do not need anything else!
  • minicooper272
    Options
    OK I amend it - I need to buy Bread, Ham and an expensive bottle of shampoo :eek:

I have a skin problem that's been driving me insane for years, and I go through phases of being convinced it's this, that or the next. Now I'm convinced it's Sulfates, so I'm going to try a Sulfate free shampoo. I wondered if any of you use natural products, and can recommend a good one (or an inexpensive one)?
  • mumto2monkeys_2
    Options
    I need to join. Compulsive spending is my downfall. I was fine before Amazon existed, but being able to pick up books and box-sets at the click of a button is fatal. My other weak area is takeaways - ordering them online and paying on a card. This is also unhelpful for my waistline.

So, my new mantra is:

"I want never gets"

as I used to get told when I was little! We have a lot of debt and we need to get a grip of it before it gets beyond a point that we can manage it.
  • The_Boss
    The_Boss Posts: 5,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 February 2013 at 10:25AM
    Options
    I've gone by this for a few months now. I figured that after Christmas I'd have everything I needed and wanted. So with the buying of pressies long gone it was just Valentine's, my car insurance (£350) and household bills really in the next few months

So the 'wants' I have cut back on are :

1) Decided not to buy alcohol to drink at home and only drink beer when I go out. And since December 31st I have only had drinks out on two night as I didn't fancy it on some other occasions. Shows that I did not 'need' to drink at home, it was more of a habit. Saves me a tenner a week and makes me appreciate the taste of a foaming pint of a good nut brown ale.

2) Only buy clothes I need. My only purchases this year are :
    Two pairs of jeans wore out. I didnt need to replace both so I bought one more pair, using a Next voucher (which still has £20 on it to use when I need something else). Bought 3 Team GB t-shirts at Sports Direct as needed to replace a few for sleeping in or dossing around in. £10 total. Needed new tracky bottoms for dossing around in. Not paying £25 in JD for a top brand as they are not for going out. 2 for £12 at Sports Direct was more like it.

3) No more new books until I have read the 9 that I have not read. An intellectual challenge as well as fnancial. Doubt I will need any books this year with that backlog. Plus encourages me to read and fill my time doing something useful.

4) No more takeaways, more home cooking. I love a curry but only will do this if going out. £28 for a regular takeaway between 2 of us compared with buying lots of Sharwoods sauces for £1 when they were on offer and long shelf life. Much cheaper. Doesn't taste as nice as a takeaway admittedly, but nice enough to keep us ticking over and has health benefits

Doing pretty well so far. I do wish to keep my weekly £30 football bets and £20 lottery but will reconsider that and perhaps still do lottery but fewer football. My debt is £3.8k which I ideally wanf to clear by year end if possible. We do not need two cars so I will look to sell mine later in the year but I want that to go into my pocket rather than to pay off a debt so gives me plenty of motivation to clear as much as possible.
  • The_Boss
    Options
    I need to join. Compulsive spending is my downfall. I was fine before Amazon existed

I was too...but Amazon has existed for almost 20 years so that's a long time for habits to become deep rooted. They have been my default option when looking for any 'wants but not needs' in the past.
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I'm not sure whether this is horribly cheating, but I'm changing one want for another.

I really, really want to make mortgage overpayments and I'm finding that the stuff I might have bought, isn't as appealing as making a tiny, daily OP.
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • The_Boss
    Options
    catshark88 wrote: »
    I'm not sure whether this is horribly cheating, but I'm changing one want for another.

I really, really want to make mortgage overpayments and I'm finding that the stuff I might have bought, isn't as appealing as making a tiny, daily OP.

Brilliant! I was like that with my last loan - I'd overpay each month and loved hearing how much the interest rebate was that I'd get. Who needs drugs when you can get a money saving high?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure