January's Big Financial Freeze!!!

Options

Comments

• Learning2Budget
    Options
    Looking forward to starting the new year with a fresh slate. Starting 4 nights tonight, last of which is overtime so does that class as my money making for the month?? Or is that cheating? Plus side to night shift is first 3 days of the month will be NSD!!
    Bring it on.
    Ninja thank you.xx
    LBM 2008 [STRIKE]£45,091.23[/STRIKE] eek: now £7889:T Debt free date 18/07/2018 :)
  • rosiecheeksblossom
    Options
    Well here goes....
    Looking at what I spent in Dec:eek: (spends diary started in november)I have tried to cut down as best I can following your guidelines. So spends for this month will be Petrol £130 (down from £150 in Dec), Shopping £80 (down from £110 in Dec), Presents £50 and Going out and other bits £150. This comes to £420, I know this is still quite a large sum but have a few outings prebooked. Hopefully won't need all of this though.....

I really shouldn't have to buy showergel this year (18 bottles) :o and the rest of my toiletries etc should last me a good few months;) so no problem on clearing the beaty products.

So just need to collect my £25, sell stuff on ebay and have fun along the way:rotfl::j:T:).
    Bring it on!!!
    Halifax CC All paid Mort £7669.99,Car loan 31 months to go
    Food 99.25/100 Petrol 133.12/150 presents 59.12/80 going out 73.75/150 toiletries 4.50/5 other 179.07/100 money made 480 SFD 11/20
  • TeamNicholson
    Options
    Hey folks, sounds like a fun challenge!

One question though, I'm a bit perplexed as to the 'Find £25' bit. Can someone give me a few ideas as to how this could be achieved? I didn't get the bit about finding receipts and what is doubling coupons...sorry I'm such a noob! lol

Otherwise, I'M IN !!!
    March'13 - Debt £13000 :eek:
    Total % paid - 0%
  • Bored
    Bored Posts: 389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'd like to sign up please. :)

I initially started with the November challenge but failed miserably, however I think that was in part because I didn't visit the forums for a few weeks and I just drifted into mindless spending again. :mad:

This time I promise I will stay until the end, and follow all the rules faithfully. :A
    2023 Mortgage-Free Wannabe #19: £11,675.68/£13,000
    Mortgage Overpayment Total: £22,397.1
  • liltdiddylilt
    Options
    Hey folks, sounds like a fun challenge!

One question though, I'm a bit perplexed as to the 'Find £25' bit. Can someone give me a few ideas as to how this could be achieved? I didn't get the bit about finding receipts and what is doubling coupons...sorry I'm such a noob! lol

Otherwise, I'M IN !!!

Not sure about doubling coupons although Tesco were doubling clubcard points for a while and may still be?

Wombling is the act of taking qualifying receipts from supermarket carparks/tills etc (over 10 items qualify). Basically Tesco & ASDA both have price guarantee websites. You take someone elses receipt from their shop, plug in the details and hey presto, hope for a cashback voucher that you can spend in store later. There have been some big finds!! Not just pence but £9.61 was one I saw recently!!

Am tracking back through this to see what happened after the NSD crew crashed the party... Hopefully SuperKat ninja'd some butts (very politely ofc):rotfl::rotfl:
    Virtual Pot #25 £0.00/£350.00
    A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$ - You have to cover the rest yourself - Royce Gracie
  • Kerfuffle
    Kerfuffle Posts: 1,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 30 December 2012 at 5:26PM
    Options
    Hi TeamNicholson,

Taken from the first page "Try and get £25 together somehow through penny gathering – whether points on something, pennies literally picked off the floor, receipts wombling in supermarket car parks, doubling coupons etc."

I think doubling coupons can be things like using a coupon in a store when the store already has a promotion on that item and also saving Tesco clubcard vouchers for when they do their 'double points' promotions. Receipt wombling in supermarkets is picking up discarded supermarket receipts, identifying any items that are cheaper in the other supermarket and taking them to the Competitor Supermarket and getting the price difference refunded to you.

Wombling is in reference to the Wombles who used go around Wimbledon common picking up discarded rubbish and making use of it :rotfl:

Edited to add: I see liltididdylilt has beaten me to it :).
  • TeamNicholson
    Options
    Wombling is the act of taking qualifying receipts from supermarket carparks/tills etc (over 10 items qualify). Basically Tesco & ASDA both have price guarantee websites. You take someone elses receipt from their shop, plug in the details and hey presto, hope for a cashback voucher that you can spend in store later. There have been some big finds!! Not just pence but £9.61 was one I saw recently!!

Aahhhhh.....I see. Thanks, will def try that! :T
    March'13 - Debt £13000 :eek:
    Total % paid - 0%
  • NinjaSavingKat
    Options
    Please count me in, I really need to re-focus in 2013.

The stakes are extremely high for me but the rewards are worth it :eek: (will start a new diary soon which will explain everything!).

Kat - please could you just clarify re the 25 NSDs and the additional 5 days for pre-planned fuel/food spends. If I buy food/fuel only (pre-budgeted), it counts as a NSD as long as I only do 5, right?

You got it one with the NSD's! Your number shall follow! :T
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • NinjaSavingKat
    Options
    Looking forward to starting the new year with a fresh slate. Starting 4 nights tonight, last of which is overtime so does that class as my money making for the month?? Or is that cheating? Plus side to night shift is first 3 days of the month will be NSD!!
    Bring it on.
    Ninja thank you.xx

Yes yes yes for money making! OT seems to be the easiest way for me to earn money and wave good bye to my social life in one hit!!:rotfl:
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • NinjaSavingKat
    Options

I really shouldn't have to buy showergel this year (18 bottles)

Now thats what I call a plan but tell me was the 18 bottles JUST from Christmas presents?? I am SUPER impressed!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure