The Completely Crazy 2013 Clothes Challenge

Options

Comments

• fedupandskint
    fedupandskint Posts: 10,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Would you like me to run the thread for next year? I don't mind who runs it if someone else does.

I'm almost at another no spend month which means this will be number 8 in a row of no clothes spends and well within my budget of £200 by spending £101.98 on clothes and shoes this year.
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • KT2802
    KT2802 Posts: 595 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Wow well done to everyone - people have done so well! I have failed miserably at this challenge. Have no idea how much I have spent over the year, a lot I think although it is likely to be less than last year as last year I was still getting into more debt.

Would like to join in again though for next year. See if I can do better.
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    Would you like me to run the thread for next year? I don't mind who runs it if someone else does.

I'm almost at another no spend month which means this will be number 8 in a row of no clothes spends and well within my budget of £200 by spending £101.98 on clothes and shoes this year.

Hi fedupandskint :wave: I would definitely like you to run the challenge. Not sure if citizenkitten is going to as she hasn't replied and time is ticking. Stick me down :)
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • Iwillsucceed_2
    Options
    Hello ALL! I have just come across this threat and I so want to take part if you are running it in 2014!! Say yes please!!
    Sending all my love!
    No debts 🙌
  • KT2802
    First Post
    Options
    Hi fedupandskint :wave: I would definitely like you to run the challenge. Not sure if citizenkitten is going to as she hasn't replied and time is ticking. Stick me down :)

I second this. Hope citizenkitten is ok - not seen her online in a long time.
  • fedupandskint
    Options
    I've set up the 2014 crazy clothes challenge for us, come and join in!

It's under debt free diaries, sorry I can't work out how to do links on the tablet!
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • trishx
    trishx Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello everyone. Last update coming up - sorry it's going to be a bit of a long one.

I had a no spend November and I had a no spend December up until today when I decided I should try to spend the rest of my budget (what do you meant that's not the idea?) but only ended up buying a pair of tights - £9.50 (merino wool). So assuming I stay out of the shops tomorrow that brings me to £443.95 out of £500 for the year - so I came in at £56.05 under budget.

Oh and in clothing related news I also inherited a rather nice coat - I moved the buttons and it fits pretty well - so that's the coat dilemma sorted too.

Right - now for the long-winded part of the post... I think, for me, the most valuable part of this challenge is that I've had to record everything I've spent, so now in an attempt to make myself not make impulsive purchases which I never wear in the future - I'm going to list and evaluate each piece of clothing acquired this year (:D = good buy, :cool: = ok buy, :mad: = bad buy). Sorry if this hijacking this thread somewhat but I'm using it as my confessional.

January (n.b. I didn't actually join the challenge until the 31st)
    £1.75 - River island grey work skirt from CS. Worn this loads and loads :D
    £1.50 - M&S top from CS. Wore a couple of times, got an ink stain on it. :cool:
    £40.50 - River Island dress for my birthday party. Last minute purchase, never wore again, can't see me wearing it again either :mad:

February
    £3 - Marks and Spencer top from charity shop. Worn handful of times :cool:
    £3.50 - Checked shirt from charity shop - hardly worn, never out of the house :mad:
    £21.99 - Barefoot running shoes - terrible idea :mad:
    £13 - Walking trousers. meh, had to have these but they aren't perfect :cool:
    £0 - made a skirt from a pair of green jeans which I've worn loads :D
    £9.50 - Navy tights - these now have a hole so have to be replaced but I have worn them loads so can't really complain :D
    £10 - NEXT cream wool and cashmere knee length coat - wore this once :mad:
    £4 - Light grey Italian 100% wool skirt suit - hmm, not sure about this but I have worn it twice (which is about half the number of times I've had to wear a suit this year) :cool:
    £4 - Stripy top x 2 - I don't think I've worn these. :mad:
    £4 - Singapore Airlines replica uniform - I've actually worn the top part of this quite a few times, definitely a conversation piece :D
    £10.61 - Walking socks - needed these and they are lovely, I could have probably got cheaper ones but I'm happy :D
    £3.99 - postage for boots "misadventure" :mad:
    £13.75 - Karen Milen dress from eBay (same one I already had in a bigger size and different colour). Worn twice to black tie events :D
    £0 - restyled two babydoll dresses into a skirt and a top. Can't say I wore either :mad:

March
    £22.00 - Leather Monsoon dress, yeah... still not worn this not sure it's going to happen either. :mad:
    £20.00 - Blouse from River Island - worn a few times - fits a gap in my wardrobe for a smart top and was a gift voucher purchase :D
    £19.99 - Nica Bag - good bag for travelling and when the Mulberrys are inappropriate. :D
    £12.50 - Two bras - erm, yep, worn these a lot :D
    £0 - slightly restyled two jackets. Wore them quite a bit after that. :D

April
    £65.67 - Asics Nimbus - ok so I didn't exactly keep up with the running but the shoes were a valid purchase :D

May
    No spend :j

June
    £1 - Thin jumper from car boot sale. Meh, I've worn it a bit around the house :cool:

July

August
    £5 - blouse to go with leather dress... good money after bad, not worn either. :mad:
    £19.70 - French Connection dress in size larger than I already have - annoying but not the fault of the dress :D
    £3 - Pair of work trousers which need shortening - not done yet :mad: and a sequinned blouse for restyling which I've also not done yet :mad:

September

October
    £104 - Boots from Clarks :D
    £16.50 - Dress from Dorothy Perkins - worn a couple of times, fills a wardrobe gap :D

November

December
    £9.50 - Tights :D
    £0 - was given coat and moved the buttons to make it fit, worn loads :D

Conclusion
    Of the £443.95 I spent on clothes this year. £22.50 was spent on items which I'm ambivalent about and £113.98 was basically just wasted! :mad: Must try harder next year to only buy items which I really, really want and will wear!
  • KT2802
    First Post
    Options
    Love your post above trishx - that's such a good idea to log everything you bought and then rate it to see how much you have used it over the year. I am definitely going to do this for next year. Thanks!
  • debbiedeejay
    Options
    WoW TrishX brilliant bit of record keeping of what you bought over the year thats really impressive:T

Dont be too harsh on yourself - you succeeded in keeping to your budget, you have bought staple items for your wardrobe that will last for ages other items you have restyled and enjoyed wearing them more and the items you didn't get the wear out of them you have learnt what works for you and what doesn't. You could possibly sell these on and recoup some of your money back if you wanted.

While you were sorting out your list i have just being the same, but its not as detailed as yours am afraid.

A couple more spends to declare for this month include

1 hippy dress - £2.50
    1 graphic casual dress -£2.50
    1 Xmas top £7

Ahem the Xmas top was a last minute purchase for a Xmas do with tacky Xmas jumper theme - but its a long sleeved t shirt with a deers head with baubles on its antlers, quiet cute - wore it twice except I went to iron it second time my iron temp gauge has bust and I put a hole in the sleeve so had to turn sleeves up! aghhhh! but its quiet nice and would wear it again)

So my annual total for the CCC for 2013 is £68.67/£100.

I have spent more this year than previous and I think that next years total spend (although still sticking to £100 budget) will be higher - many of my clothes are wearing thin and I will have to replace them at some point but we will see :o

Well done to everyone - see you all over on the 2014 thread!
    Crazy Clothes Challenge 2012 £57.20/£100,CCC 2013 £68.67/£100 ,CCC 2014 £94.32/£100
    *Frugal Living Challenge 2012, 2013, 2014*
    GC 2014 Jan £154.14/£180;Feb £103.49/£180;Mar 117.63/£160
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Just wanted to say what a great post by Trishx

I love that that all the clothes purchases have been recorded, and analysed.

Certainly a lot of food for thought, regarding how many clothes purchases are successful.

I'm going to be having a serious think about clothes purchasing for 2014.

I'm not a clothes shopaholic, and I am quite frugal in some areas of clothes usage, but I probably have more clothes than I need, and buy more than I need.

Perhaps you might see me on the 2014 thread
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills