Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

January 2013 Grocery Challenge - Page 109

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

January 2013 Grocery Challenge

edited 12 December 2012 at 3:40PM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.1K replies 132.9K views

Replies

• edited 9 January 2013 at 12:29AM
    katholicoskatholicos Forumite
    2.7K posts
    edited 9 January 2013 at 12:29AM
    Disappointed to discover that the contents of salad drawer in fridge, have frozen. Made a massive batch of homemade pasta sauce with lots of the frozen veg...which i will portion tomorrow for the freezer, and also chopped up lots of spuds, swede and carrots and sweet potato so i can make up loads of mash tomorrow and portion that for the freezer too.

@she who can not cook....wow, your cheese bargains were terrific! Talk about good things coming to those who wait! Well done to you for being in the right place at the right time :)
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • A Little gutted today starts my £25.00 a week challenge. I made my sandwiches for work, added my extras and my bottles of squash and water.
    Got to work and had found i had left food in fridge.... starving by tea time, and the only place i could dive into was the local garage! £4.23 plus a two coffees in work and a cup of water =£1.42 total spend today £5.65 = £19.35 left for the week.
    At least tomorrow i will use some of the multi packs of mince i bought, also frozen peas, carrots and potato's to make a cottage pie, i think i also have some frozen green beans left in freezer. :)
    Have to go to Mr T's Tomorrow but i don't have to make lunch until Friday thankfully! so only Milk, yog's and hopefully whoopsie fruit to get!
    1% challenge £2015.50 = £20.16
    Make £2.50 a day £80.82/77.50
    Sealed pot opening Nov 2018: ???
    Going back to being to basics. And penny pinching in 2018 This will be my year 😘
  • Tales17Tales17 Forumite
    257 posts
    Big spends over last couple of days, had to book flights to see family in March at other end of country.

Had to fill up with petrol today and did a big Mr T shop, £124.93 plus delivered graze box today brings the total up to 58% of planned budget!

However, about half was topping up on household items, toiletries and nappies which I only buy when there are offers on and/or I have vouchers for them. Meant my total savings on all offers and vouchers today was £63.44 so I bought a lot but saved a lot too and that will be transferring to my savings account shortly! :)
    Grocery Challenge 2019 YTD-£820.46/£7200(11%)
    Grocery Challenge Feb - £93.10/£600(16%)
    £12k in 2019 #: Monthly Saving Accounts £500, Cashback & Competition Sites £2.59, Shopping Saving £152.09,Selling £121.26, Interest & Dividends £43.93, Surveys £0, 365 Day Penny Challenge # £103.44
    Total Saved - £923.31/£12000(8%)
  • Earlier this evening I went with DD2 (she's only 6) to Mr T & we set ourselves a challenge! We needed bread & decided we could only buy other items if they were reduced - YS not special offer! We spent £7.73 & only bought YS items (including the bread)!

We came away with 500g British steak mince, 14 cookies, deli chicken, deli beef, bread, 2 packs of pancakes, Finest creamed spinach & cheddar! :j
    2017 GC O-£93.46/£160; S-£136.26/£160; A-£130.55/£160; J-£47.12/£160;
    J-£106.63/£190; M-£70.29/£160; A-£197.88/£180; M-£219.35/£180; F-£294.14/£160; J-£168.67/£160

2016 GC £2322.39/£2285;
    GC-2012-2015 - £9789.91/£7773!
    for 2 adults & 2 kids (13 & 11) for all food,toiletries,cleaners etc

• katholicoskatholicos Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Grrr DS17 has this annoying habit of coming to me and saying "is there anything to eat?"

So annoying!

I am writing up a list for him of snacks he could have /make for himself instead of asking me to come up with something for im.

Just off the top of my head there are:

5 different cereals in the cupboard.
    Bread sliced for sandwiches or for toasting.
    Egss to make omellette or boiled egg on toast etc.
    Couscous, flavoured...only has to add ot water and cover it for 5 mins.
    Oven chips.
    Cheese for sandwiches, on toast etc.
    Tinned soup
    Baked beans
    Yoghurt
    Apples, pears, clementines and red grapes
    Sundried tomatoes, olives, antipasti type things.
    And loads more proper main meal stuff!

Surely he has enough nouse to conjure up a quick snack with some of the above ingredients?

Grrrr....
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • cattysmumcattysmum Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Good morning all, could not sleep so up at the crack of dawn and breadmaker on the go which is smelling just divine.:) Im quite pleased with my efforts last week and my budget is still on track. Iv still to make a meal plan as am living out of the freezer still from xmas. Ill be taking some of my leftover xmas gammon out today for lunch oh and need some more yeast!!
    SPC No. 295 - SPC No10 target £350
    #1603:staradmin/
    SPC 2014 £150/SPC 2015 £256SPC 2016 £324
    Saving for Florida 2018 :j
    Matched betting toe dipper.
  • we are using up odd meals tonight from freezer 2 are having chilli chicken and 1 is having chicken korma i will do rice to go with both but it will use up some odd bits will check on condition of veg in bottom of fridge may make more soup.meant to do baking last night but didnt so may do that later

have just 1 orange left in fruit bowl but I'm determined not to buy any more before Saturday. have got some tinned fruit so we will have that
    You can if you think you can .
  • savvyshesavvyshe Forumite
    96 posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    Please can I join in, don't get paid till 22nd Jan and only have £57.00 to last until then. This is for DS's lunches and groceries, the freezers are full and fridge not too bad may only need milk, veg and bread. Can I ask for £40.00 as he gets £2.00 a day, going to be tight but will try my best. will put a more realistic amount for February (22nd Jan to 22nd Feb) next time. Thanks to Board Guides for setting this up. Wish me luck!! Savvy
    M&S 2,200.00
    Barclaycard £3840.00
  • HighlandLassHighlandLass Forumite
    69 posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi All,

Havent been posting but I am still on target (well under target actually :j) with total monthly spend currently sitting at £49.71! and even managed 7 out of 15 NSDs, so looks like I may need to challenge mysef a bit more next month. This month was all about finding out where my budgets were at and looks like I need to have a rethink...If I am not spending as much as I though on food, toiletries, etc....where is my money going?

Note to self: Must set aside a couple of hours this weekend to work through all finances.

Will def be keeping up the chalanges though....I think I am I bit competitive....even if I am only competing with myself :rotfl:
  • Hi

What a dreadful start to January and a saving challenge! I need it more than ever now.

DD2 had a MrT voucher for Xmas but cannot use it online for groceries so had to bail her out - £54.98 but I have got a £50 voucher from her to offset that. MrW's free coffees lured me there to shop too but was very restrained at £56.60 over 3 visits and included lots of offers and all the pet stuff too.
    So GC total is £112.58 (with the voucher still to be used). so far 3NSD so feeling that target might last for January.

The disaster has been medical bills for me - £30 and for cat1 - £262.12 !!!

Have to shop for fruit and veg today and more cat food but hoping to be financially restrained.
    Philadelphium
    GC £400/calendar month Other Spends(OS) £400/month NSD 12
    January GC £568.40 / OS £445.98 / NSD 15
    February GC £80.12 / OS £31.90 / NSD 3