PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

My kids will only ever own a property if their g/parents leave them massive amount

Options

Comments

• paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Of course, being that life is so unpredictable, it could be that the 'massive amount' that your children inherit comes from YOUR estate. Which of us knows when, where or how we may die.

Hopefully, your children will not pick up on your thoughts and views about 'their inheritance' and start happily chattering away about what they are going to spend your hard-earned money on, once they get their little hands on it!

Frankly, in my opinion, there is some very sordid and unwholesome thinking going on here.
  • amcluesent
    amcluesent Posts: 9,425 Forumite
    Options
    It's hardly news that the 'boomers' had the best of things after 1945, secure jobs with no outsourcing, final salary pensions, free NHS, free education through to uni, massive increase in value of houses etc.

British middle-class kids today face a very bleak future: oil shortages, civil conflict with Islamists, crime, collapsing infrastructure, transfer of jobs to India/China, multiple redundancy in their career, no pension, everything means-tested, paying for senile elderly in care.

Rather than worry about getting on housing ladder in the UK, I'd be seriouly considering emigrating - there's 1000s of educated middle class leaving the UK every week.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Maybe your BIL would like to do other things with his money? He's just as entitled to it as your husband is, it doesn't matter imo how much money he's got. He might want it just to give it to a cat's home - just because he hasn't got children doesn't mean he has nothing he wants to spend his money on.

TBH, if it was my will, I'd leave YOUR husband's share to the children, not his brother's.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Running_Horse
    Running_Horse Posts: 11,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am lucky enough to have recently become a dad.

When I hold my beautiful daughter I hope she will have the confidence I lacked, make the most of her talents, use the educational opportunities that weren't around 20 years ago, make lots of lifelong friends, and most of all be happy in whatever path she chooses.

Hoping for inheritances and worrying about house prices 20 years from now are the furthest things from my mind.
    Been away for a while.
  • brixandmorta
    Options
    Of course, being that life is so unpredictable, it could be that the 'massive amount' that your children inherit comes from YOUR estate. Which of us knows when, where or how we may die.

Hopefully, your children will not pick up on your thoughts and views about 'their inheritance' and start happily chattering away about what they are going to spend your hard-earned money on, once they get their little hands on it!

Frankly, in my opinion, there is some very sordid and unwholesome thinking going on here.

It is indeed, you should take nothing for granted, would you bare a grudge on your brother in law if it were all left to him? it would hardly be fair to do that would it!!

You get out of life what you put into it, I totally agree with a previous post on this subject, let your parents enjoy their retirement, spend the lot on holidays, cars, boats, whatever they want, because let's face it, when youre time comes youre a long time dead!!!!
  • House prices are rather akin to a roller coaster due to their capitalistic nature, and were riding "The Big One" that you see at Blackpool:eek:

slump-1.jpg
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I can't understand why people think they have a right to decide how other people should spend their money. No-one should view an inheritance as a right, if you get money from a previous generation think yourself lucky and call it a bonus. Any child brought up in a home where the thinking reflects the views of the OP is likely to end up as a spoilt brat unwilling to get out and work hard waiting for the world to give him or her everything they think they deserve.

I was brought up with 5 siblings in a council house, we had no money, lots of love and were all encouraged to get a decent education, which cost our parents more than it needed to if we had been forced to leave school at 16 and get a job. Now we all own property, all have decent jobs and are proud of what we have acheived, being given £100k on a plate wouldn't be something to be proud of.

My children are nearer to the age when they will be loooking at buying their own properties, they have had the benefit of my support to get a decent education and hopefully have the drive to get a job that pays enought to get a mortgage, we live in an area of stupid prices too.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • ftbworried
    ftbworried Posts: 358 Forumite
    Options
    :confused: Honestly, you really don't need to worry about this. It's not the grandparents or even the parents responsibility to get children on the housing ladder. If they are savvy and hardworking enough they will manage just fine by themselves. My parents (or grandparents) didn't give me a penny (and they shoudn't have either) last year when aged 22 I bought my first home. All of my friends that have bought recently have managed without parents help too. I think that parents are panicing a bit much over getting their children on the housing market, maybe it would do you children more harm than good to be 'given' an easy ticket to their first home.
  • reehsetin
    reehsetin Posts: 4,916 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    my grandparents amassed a bit, and the grankids will inherit it eventually, but parents have decided that we wont even get the money untill like 35
    because they want us to be financially responsible and struggle like they did to appreciate everything we get!
    + not count on this money paying our deposits or mortgage etc
    Yes Your Dukeiness :D
  • dwsjarcmcd
    dwsjarcmcd Posts: 1,855 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    At least the OP's husband seems sensible over all this. Hopefully he can talk some common sence into her, if not then reading these posts should!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure