PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

My kids will only ever own a property if their g/parents leave them massive amount

Options

Comments

• Rimo2021
    Rimo2021 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    I fail to see that inheritance is a right.

I hope my parents live to a right old age and enjoy their latter years in health and spend their money on themselves; flash holdays, world cruises and excellent healthcare, whatever floats their boat.

I wouldn't begrudge them a penny and wouldn't even think of it as spending my inheritance.

I feel the same about my parents and I won't start calling their money 'inheritance' untill after they're gone. (Well actually my brother and i do joke them about 'ski-ing' now and again !!
  • miss_bargainmad
    Options
    No EliteHeat I don't think that at all.

But their two sons are sorted out financially. As I said we are practically mortgage free and my brother in law is worth approx. £600K with his two properties, savings etc.

They are very close to their grandchildren and if I was in their postion I would see the whole picture and leave say maybe the house to the grandchildren and split the cash between the brothers.

But that is precisely what I want people's opinions on - even though his brother has no children (and I don't think ever will now) and is loaded will he see it as grossly unfair that his two nephews got a big chunk of the Estate?

My husband thinks his brother would see it like this and he would be happy for everything to be split 50/50 and leave it for us to sort out our children and not have any of the money?
  • miss_bargainmad
    Options
    Rimo and Silvercar

I totally agree with you. I would love to see them have a fantastic lifestyle, go on wonderful holidays and spend every penny but they never have and they never will.

For some reason they have spent all their lives saving and not living, which is really sad. They go on one holiday a year and spend very little on that and cannot be encouraged to go for even a day out.

They live a very simple life, always have done and always will. When my husband was growing up he had nothing as they were always saving.

They are Irish and old Irish people want to die with a load of money in the bank for some reason.

My husband and I have both said we could never live the way his parents do and can't understand for people who have so much money.
  • epz_2
    epz_2 Posts: 1,859 Forumite
    Options
    im sure your brother in law will love you trying to do him out his share .

seriously this type of stuff will end up tearing families apart and frankly i seriously doubt it is worth the aggro, its not like you are on the bread line.

in terms of unafordabilty of housing etc i would be more inclined to hold your panicing, the fundimentals arent there to sustain these constantly increasing prices !!1} and there will likely either be a price correction or a major rise in wage inflation.

!!1} by fundimentals i mean the market is primarlay driven by btl scum who are borrowing huge ammounts with rents decreasing and interest rates going up. one of the fun things about a democracy is if you disenfranchise a generation they get to vote for a party which has policies that hurt the people took advantage of them. anybody want to vote for double rate council tax on all properties if somone owns more than 5 triple if more than 10 or such like.
  • EliteHeat
    EliteHeat Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, but I do think that morbidly poring over the permutations of spliting the estate of relatives who have not yet had the decency to die is somewhat obscene imho.

Even if you eventually only achieve a paltry 50/50 split, then this would amount to a considerable wodge of cash for your children. You and your husband, almost being mortgage free, do not seem to be too hard up either.

My sympathy goes to the children of pennyless parents who do not have the luxury of minted grandparents - what are they going to do exactly?
  • BettiePage
    BettiePage Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Options
    The decision is not yours to make. Would you make the decision you want them to make if it was your estate you were talking about? I doubt it. Like most parents, I would expect you to treat your children equally and rightly so.
    Illegitimi non carborundum.
  • Rimo2021
    Rimo2021 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    But that is precisely what I want people's opinions on - even though his brother has no children (and I don't think ever will now) and is loaded will he see it as grossly unfair that his two nephews got a big chunk of the Estate?

My husband thinks his brother would see it like this and he would be happy for everything to be split 50/50 and leave it for us to sort out our children and not have any of the money?

Maybe your brother has other nephews/nieces than your children and might wish to choose which and to what extent he helps out with house deposits. Or he might even wish to give his share to children more needy even if unrelated?

Your husband sounds like he rightly s it his responsibility to help his own children out financially should it be necessary without relying on his brother's generosity. After all presumably it was your and your husband's decision to have children - if it was to affect his brother's future prosperity shouldn't you have consulted him first ?
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    miss bargainmad - It's not all about money and property. Providing your kids get a decent education (or just get lucky) then I'm sure that they can make it on their own - I did and I certainly never got or expected anything from my parents ;)
  • miss_bargainmad
    Options
    I'm not saying at all they should get the lot.

Maybe he would feel very resentful that they got anything left to them specifically as he has no children as they can't have any. I think he resents his brother for that.

All I'm saying if I was in his position I would say fair enough I am actually quite rich, don't need the money, and it would be nice that two kids got a foot on the property ladder. Even £100K each wouldn't really get them that far where I live.

Do people with lots of money not actually think like this? If he had two kids and we had none I don't think I would begrudge his kids the money as they would need it more than we did.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,227 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    EliteHeat wrote: »
    My sympathy goes to the children of pennyless parents who do not have the luxury of minted grandparents - what are they going to do exactly?

Work?

I'm now in my 40s and we've not taken a penny fron our parents or grandparents.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure