Cheap Parcel Delivery - official discussion

Options

Comments

• martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DragonQ wrote: »
    As I said, the retailer recommended Yodel or UK Mail since that's what they use. I asked them to sort out collection and delivery and they want to charge me £18 for that, despite the fact their normal delivery charge is like £7.
    As this is distance selling and the item is faulty the seller should be organising and paying for the return not you. This is not a change of mind where you may be responsible for return postage, but faulty goods.

Do they have a facebook page? If so a polite factual post there could get their attention going by other threads on here. Most companies want to show how well they deal with problems when they are in such a public place.

How did you pay? If it's Paypal I'd open a claim. If you paid by card I would open a sec75 claim or if you are not eligible for that ask for a charge back.
  • DragonQ
    DragonQ Posts: 2,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    As this is distance selling and the item is faulty the seller should be organising and paying for the return not you. This is not a change of mind where you may be responsible for return postage, but faulty goods.

Do they have a facebook page? If so a polite factual post there could get their attention going by other threads on here. Most companies want to show how well they deal with problems when they are in such a public place.

How did you pay? If it's Paypal I'd open a claim. If you paid by card I would open a sec75 claim or if you are not eligible for that ask for a charge back.
    I can't remember how I paid, this is a warranty return (bought the thing 2 years ago and it has a 3 year warranty) so not sure what parts of distance selling regulations actually apply.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DragonQ wrote: »
    I can't remember how I paid, this is a warranty return (bought the thing 2 years ago and it has a 3 year warranty) so not sure what parts of distance selling regulations actually apply.

If it's a warranty issue, then you need to comply with their terms. If they are offering to collect and make the arrangements for £18, why not let them do it. You don't seem to be able to sort it yourself. Will you be getting a replacement? If so, that seems little price to pay for a new item.
  • jbindebt
    Options
    jbindebt wrote: »
    I have just used Parcelhero due to the MSE promo code offered. They lost my item and despite weeks of to-ing and fro-ing via poor customer service have just admitted the item costing over two hundred pounds can not be found despite being tracked. Stupidly I didn't purchase extra cover and have now realised a "vehicle part" is on their exemptions list.
    So I have lost everything and haven't a leg to stand on, my problem. Only now have I found the Trustpilot site wth over two hundred and fifty pages of complaints against this company. Perhaps suggesting them as a "Best buy" might be inappropriate?

After five weeks ParcelHero started the claim process with me which I didn't think would go anywhere. After being pedantic about the item "a towbar" and wanting a receipt for its purchase, I supplied a receipt for twenty thousand pounds. Well, it was attached to the vehicle when I bought it!!
    Bizarrely the very next morning they contacted me to say they had found it. The next day the item was returned to me in a new box. The original box was totally destroyed but squashed into the new box, a locking key was smashed and the whole thing was sodden and smelt of sewage. On it was a sticker saying it had just come back from Germany, I only sent it to London?!!
    Although grateful to get the item back I now have to claim for damages and amusingly they are disputing the refund of the delivery charge because it was delivered back to me. Cowboys of the highest order.
  • Campden
    Campden Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A parcel I sent with My Hermes has been refused on arrival, and Hermes are charging me £4.00 to return it.

Advice please on how to approach the buyer about this.
    Ideally I would like him or her to pay the outward shipping cost again and the £4.00.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,208 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Campden wrote: »
    A parcel I sent with My Hermes has been refused on arrival, and Hermes are charging me £4.00 to return it.

Advice please on how to approach the buyer about this.
    Ideally I would like him or her to pay the outward shipping cost again and the £4.00.

It's a tricky one as UK law rather trumps 'doing the right thing'. If this is an eBay sale it is even trickier as buyer can just go for an INR and be refunded in just over a week.

It might be worth trying a reasonable approach with the buyer, maybe ask them politely if they will take a refund less postage costs both way there is no harm in asking, they might even agree to pay the return postage if you refund the initial payment in full. You can but try.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • John_Ravenloft
    Options
    I send out a lot from my eBay shop and I hate Hermes. Trialed them last year for a couple of months and I had a load of problems (I ship cigar humidors, so quite large and fragile)

1) Several parcels going missing
    2) parcels arriving damanged despite good quality packaging.
    3) Parcels not being delivered despite customers being in
    4) Customer service being rude and unhelpful

Honestly I stopped using them due to continual problems.

One i've found that I really like is Pharos parcel.
    qualiry of service is great and they are generally cheaper too. Had very few problems and they've always been sorted quickly and with little hassle.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 November 2016 at 12:10PM
    Options
    I send out a lot from my eBay shop and I hate Hermes. Trialed them last year for a couple of months and I had a load of problems (I ship cigar humidors, so quite large and fragile)

qualiry of service is great and they are generally cheaper too. Had very few problems and they've always been sorted quickly and with little hassle.

Pharos Parcel are only a broker. There seems to be a lot new posters raving about them, not just on this website. I quite often see their name pop up. Their website seems quite amateurish. If you are going to use a broker, I'd use someone like Parcel 2 Go. I would trust them a lot more

All these brokers are only as good as the couriers they use and the service they provide when they go wrong. I used to use Parcel Hero but found they are useless and clueless when there is a problem. Even if Pharos were the greatest company in the world, it really doesn't matter if the courier they use is having a bad day and decides to lob the parcel over a fence.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,208 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Most of my parcels are sub 2 kg and cost me either £2.75 or £3.95 on MyHermes and looking at Pharos I would need to pay 3 or 4 times more to use their suggested couriers, which would price me out of the market.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Most of my parcels are sub 2 kg and cost me either £2.75 or £3.95 on MyHermes and looking at Pharos I would need to pay 3 or 4 times more to use their suggested couriers, which would price me out of the market.
    Yes, Pharos are expensive for small parcels but more competitive with larger parcels.

I think the advantage of using them over other resellers such as P2G is that you can phone them easily to sort out problems. Everyone has to decide whether this is worth paying the extra for.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback