Cheap Parcel Delivery - official discussion

Options

Comments

• Bassman59
    Options
    I have recently been having a clearout, selling loads of old and have been sending them to several different websites, depending on who offers me the best price. Each company has different ways for you to dispatch the parcel to them, generating a shipping label before dropping it off. I have sent 6 batches so far. Two via Parcelforce, 3 via Collect+ and 1 via My Hermes. All have arrived safely and undamaged except for the MyHermes one.

It was dropped off at the local collection point on 28th October and I was given a receipt. Since then, it’s completely disappeared and MyHermes have been utterly useless in trying to help. I keep getting the standard reply:
    [FONT=&quot]“Our returns department can only be contacted by the link provided. Please contact our Returns Department will be able to resolve this query for you: Email:[FONT=&quot]??? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT][FONT=&quot]This link sends me to a page [FONT=&quot]??? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]and the Contact Us link displays [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Contact Us[/FONT]

Customer Notice
    If you would like to make an enquiry about your returned parcel, please select the retailer from whom you ordered your item for contact details.

What doesn’t seem to be getting through is that this item is not a return, it is not an item I ordered and therefore contacting the retailer (in this case the company who had agreed to buy my CD’s) is pointless. How can a company who have not received a parcel possibly be responsible for it’s none appearance?
    I have since raised a formal complaint with their Customer Service department and have had an acknowledgement they have received the email. I’ll keep you all posted.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bassman59 wrote: »
    I have recently been having a clearout, selling loads of old and have been sending them to several different websites, depending on who offers me the best price. Each company has different ways for you to dispatch the parcel to them, generating a shipping label before dropping it off. I have sent 6 batches so far. Two via Parcelforce, 3 via Collect+ and 1 via My Hermes. All have arrived safely and undamaged except for the MyHermes one.

It was dropped off at the local collection point on 28th October and I was given a receipt. Since then, it’s completely disappeared and MyHermes have been utterly useless in trying to help. I keep getting the standard reply:
    [FONT=&quot]“Our returns department can only be contacted by the link provided. Please contact our Returns Department will be able to resolve this query for you: Email:[FONT=&quot]??? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT][FONT=&quot]This link sends me to a page [FONT=&quot]??? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]and the Contact Us link displays [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Contact Us[/FONT]

Customer Notice
    If you would like to make an enquiry about your returned parcel, please select the retailer from whom you ordered your item for contact details.

What doesn’t seem to be getting through is that this item is not a return, it is not an item I ordered and therefore contacting the retailer (in this case the company who had agreed to buy my CD’s) is pointless. How can a company who have not received a parcel possibly be responsible for it’s none appearance?
    I have since raised a formal complaint with their Customer Service department and have had an acknowledgement they have received the email. I’ll keep you all posted.

If it is a website that buys bulk CDs, DVDs etc... then My Hermes treats the items you send to them as a return as it is pre-paid by the company not you but you are sending the parcel. Have you tried contacting the company you sent it to? Sometimes they can see better tracking and My Hermes is more responsive to them.
  • jeffuk
    jeffuk Posts: 606 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you're on Facebook they have a page where I've had good results when needing to sort a problem.
    https://www.facebook.com/myHermesdelivery/?fref=ts

Good luck with sorting your problem.
  • larry_lurex
    Options
    Howdy,

I wanted to send a relative in Vienna a book as a present. It is just over 1kg (could remove padding and make it under that) and fits through the large letter slot. RM quoted almost £10.

So I have been looking but can only find even more expensive options. The book is worth about £5. Ludicrous.

Recommendations? Ta.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Howdy,

I wanted to send a relative in Vienna a book as a present. It is just over 1kg (could remove padding and make it under that) and fits through the large letter slot. RM quoted almost £10.

So I have been looking but can only find even more expensive options. The book is worth about £5. Ludicrous.

Recommendations? Ta.
    International LL only goes up to 750g so it is better to pack it well and not worry about reducing the size. However if you can get the weight below 1kg that would make it £8.35 to Europe as opposed to £9.60 for up to 1.25Kg. A (free) certificate of posting will cover its value.

I doubt if any other carrier will match RM. The book may be only worth £5 but that doesn't affect its weight!
  • mebz
    Options
    Hi all

I need to get a large parcel (44" x 24" x 15" weighing 30lbs) shipped from Chicago to UK (I am in the UK)

It all is very expensive...but I've narrowed down to the following based on price....reviews look good but feels like they have been manufactured as the negative ones really are v.negative.

parcelhero
    transglobalexpress
    worldwide-parcelservices
    parcelmonkey (most expensive of the lot)

Any experiences with the above for international deliveries?
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    All of them are as only as good as the courier who actually carries the item. I have had a few problems with ParcelHero claiming that the courier has charged them extra because it was a different weight and so automatically charging me. They did not provide any proof of the charge and refused to accept the weight was correct even when I provided proof.

Have you tried Parcel2go? I have found them marginally better than the rest. I have never used them personally but have heard good things about transglobalexpress. Parcelmonkey I have also used in the past with no problems but lately they seem to cost more than the rest.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Plenty of myHermes fun.....

Looks like the last two parcels have been stolen, or gone missing being shipped to my house. Interesting.
  • mebz
    Options
    Transglobalexpress seem to be the cheapest. Hopefully a few of you can vouch for them and I'll give it a shot. I've actually been searching around for over a week now. I can't justify going direct with the big shippers for $300+ shipping on a $150 item. In hindsight shouldn't have bought something in the US to ship over - live and learn!
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Check the details of carrier's exclusions in the insurance - you will find lots of things not covered. Hopefully your sender will pack it adequately. Generally it is more straightforward for the sender to organise the shipping.

I hope you've also factored in the customs fees you are likely to pay here - 20% VAT on the cost of the item value plus postage cost, possibly some duty and a clearance fee of probably around £10.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback