Cheap Parcel Delivery - official discussion

Options

Comments

• Berwynview
    Options
    Hi SophieCat
    Yes, they will collect parcels for different addresses and you don't need fancy sticky labels - just print on white paper, cut out and securely attach to the parcel with selotape. I've never used Parcel Monkey but can recommend Interparcel economy.
  • excel
    excel Posts: 32 Forumite
    edited 12 February 2013 at 7:42PM
    Options

• Obviously_the_best
    Options
    SophieCat wrote: »
    Thanks. Do you know if they will collect (at the same time) 2 parcels going to 2 different addresses? When it says 'printer needed', do I need any fancy labeling equipment, or can I just print the address labels onto A4 paper & then tape them to the parcels? :o

Has anybody used DX 48 Hour (Parcel Monkey)? Seem cheap, but not sure if my parcels (31cm x 24cm x 17cm) would fit in their bags?
    Your parcel may be a tight push for their bags, as they are A3 sized mailing bags. Standard white printer paper will be fine, simply tape to the parcel, making sure not to cover the barcode with tape. They'll collect two parcels going to the same address at the same time, but they'll need to be booked in separate transactions, you can't pay for both parcels at the same time.
  • scotsblood
    Options
    SophieCat wrote: »

Has anybody used DX 48 Hour (Parcel Monkey)? Seem cheap, but not sure if my parcels (31cm x 24cm x 17cm) would fit in their bags?

DX have just collected a package from me, measured 32x30x18 and went in bag with room to spare, driver very quick, efficient and courteous. Bargain via Parcel Monkey as DX are just about the best of the bunch at the budget end of the market:D
    Fiscally responsible or just a tight git? : :confused:

Lincolnshire 3.0kWp REC panels SMA 2500HF Inverter East Facing with no shade
  • freddy33
    freddy33 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 December 2012 at 3:40PM
    Options
    Herewith my experience, so far, of sending a parcel using Worldwide Parcel Services.

Wednesday 12th. Went onto their website at about 1455, and paid for a parcel to be collected from my house near Perth, Scotland, and to be delivered to Amsterdam. Parcel weighed almost 4kg., but the charge was based on 5.7kg, due to the volume of the carton-fair enough; £20.50 approx. Invoice and a label to print e-mailed to me at 1512. Parcel would be collected from me 'tomorrow'...nothing more specific than that. Fortunately for me I checked my e-mails late the next morning, and there was an e-mail-sent to me at 0922:'We are sorry to advise you that your booking has missed the cut off time for a collection today- our booking team has rescheduled the collection for (Friday ) 14th - see details below...Earliest Collection Time:8:00 AM. Latest Collection Time:10:00 PM!' ( my exclamation mark. )...and they did have my contact telephone number, by which means I could have been informed sooner. Parcel collected from me at lunchtime on Friday, by UPS. Received telephone call last night from addressee in Amsterdam: 'No parcel yet.' So I went online, and checked the tracking service:... Dundee 'pickup'-Friday 1444. 'Departure scan from Dundee-Monday 1802.' ...'Departure from Gatwick Facilty 0649 Wednesday.' Hopefully delivered in Amsterdam later today?!!
  • litteloucc
    Options
    I've had a very poor service using City Link booked through Interparcel, from both companies.

I booked a guaranteed next day delivery but the parcel wasn't picked up on the collection day. City Link told me that they were too busy ("it is Christmas you know") to pick it up so they wouldn't do so until the next day and wouldn't upgrade the service to e.g. next day before 9am to ensure the parcel got there close to the time it was needed or compensate me.

I called Interparcel, who said that the next day service was guaranteed to arrive the next (working) day after collection, but they wouldn't guarantee when they will collect it. There is a note on the website that the collection time window is subject to change, but not the date. They too refused to alter the delivery and kept repeating that the next day service was guaranteed, despite the fact it could be the 'next day' from whenever they decided to pick it up.

Neither company informed me that the parcel wouldn't be collected - I had to call them.

I have cancelled delivery and they have offered a full refund (although I haven't received it yet), which is a positive. I did find City Link's customer service to be particularly poor. I was refused to be put through to a manager 4 times (I was eventually) and all the customer care staff seemed to think it was perfectly acceptable business practice to 'bump' my collection without notice. I must say that calling the local depo (Crawley) was a much more pleasant experience, although they couldn't actually help.

I obviously can't comment on the delivery service as I didn't receive it, but I wouldn't book again for anything I needed received by a specific date.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    litteloucc wrote: »
    I've had a very poor service using City Link booked through Interparcel, from both companies.

I booked a guaranteed next day delivery but the parcel wasn't picked up on the collection day. City Link told me that they were too busy ("it is Christmas you know") to pick it up so they wouldn't do so until the next day and wouldn't upgrade the service to e.g. next day before 9am to ensure the parcel got there close to the time it was needed or compensate me.

I called Interparcel, who said that the next day service was guaranteed to arrive the next (working) day after collection, but they wouldn't guarantee when they will collect it. There is a note on the website that the collection time window is subject to change, but not the date. They too refused to alter the delivery and kept repeating that the next day service was guaranteed, despite the fact it could be the 'next day' from whenever they decided to pick it up.

Neither company informed me that the parcel wouldn't be collected - I had to call them.

I have cancelled delivery and they have offered a full refund (although I haven't received it yet), which is a positive. I did find City Link's customer service to be particularly poor. I was refused to be put through to a manager 4 times (I was eventually) and all the customer care staff seemed to think it was perfectly acceptable business practice to 'bump' my collection without notice. I must say that calling the local depo (Crawley) was a much more pleasant experience, although they couldn't actually help.

I obviously can't comment on the delivery service as I didn't receive it, but I wouldn't book again for anything I needed received by a specific date.

collections are never guaranteed with any carrier
  • litteloucc
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.

It does seem fairly poor, though, especially with no notice. Perhaps if there was inclement weather or exceptional circumstances, but they should be prepared for a busy time of year, which was their only excuse. Apparently they just ran out of time which means they've overbooked themselves.
  • Kayster
    Kayster Posts: 390 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 December 2012 at 12:38PM
    Options
    litteloucc wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

It does seem fairly poor, though, especially with no notice. Perhaps if there was inclement weather or exceptional circumstances, but they should be prepared for a busy time of year, which was their only excuse. Apparently they just ran out of time which means they've overbooked themselves.

Unfortunately non collection is an all to common event with City Link being one of the regular offenders. The best in my humble opinion is UPS who are the most reliable.
    The problem is customers go on the Interparcel or P2G website and look at the prices and Citylink are a £ or so cheaper so choose Citylink thinking the standard of service will be the same for all couriers.
    My advice to anyone who has a parcel that must be collected is
    use UPS to get the best chance . Also take a look at where the closest depot is for your carrier and choose one that has a depot in driving distance so if the collection has not happened by late afternoon take it yourself. I know you have paid for it to be collected but if you REALLY want it to go you have to do something quick. You can get upset and shout at the courier later.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Keep checking if a new Collect+ counter has opened near you. There a now some really convenient ones on my route to work so I will be seeking out drop-offs in the future. Plus you even get lower prices that way.

Find your local shop link:
    http://www.collectplus.co.uk/orders/new
    ..you'll need to research which discount parcel co's participate in Collect+ of course.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback