Cheap Parcel Delivery - official discussion

Options

Comments

• vending-expert
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    I now avoid all collect from home services, too many opportunities for excuses. Myhermes for instance has a really good network of drop off points. But I cannot find any discount parcel co for Europe parcels, that has has convenient drop off points. This is the next frontier!

Collect+ has teamed up with TNT to offer that service - http://www.tntpost.com/collectplus.aspx
  • Equinox1000
    Options
    pgk1234 wrote: »
    Don't fully agree. They are actually the first party, the courier is the third party. I don't see that these companies can take their share of the profit when everything works but shrug off responsibility if things don't work - Certainly wish I could work like that.

As the people I'm dealing with and have the business relationship with it's down to them to have good procedures and good customer service to deal with problems with the third party courier if they occur.

You're right that the contract (and therefore customer service obligation) is between you and the reseller, but what are they supposed to do if the courier doesn't deliver? They make very little money on each transaction and they themselves are in the same position you would be if you deal with the courier directly, anyone who has knows that's not a great position to be in.

Its also worth saying that especially at this time of year, all the couriers are stretched by the increase in workload so when you need them most, you're likely to get the worst experience.

If you send lots of parcels, it pays to understand the system, to choose a courier that is good and to stay on good terms with the driver. If not, you either pay full price (with probably the same result) or accept that is how it is.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Collect+ has teamed up with TNT to offer that service - http://www.tntpost.com/collectplus.aspx

Nice one. Had a glance at the rates - fixed price per item and no hint on their rates page of what the weight limit is? That's a first!
  • blineboy
    Options
    Need to send an item in UK, maximum size dimensions will be 30x30x30cm and weight is 5kg, Need Cover for £700. Who do you recommend ? thanks
  • vending-expert
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    Nice one. Had a glance at the rates - fixed price per item and no hint on their rates page of what the weight limit is? That's a first!

i wasn't sure what to make of there prices at first but after seeing there EU Pack Special specifications, Max weight of 10kg and £300 cover seems very good value

Fixed shipping rates up to 10 kg
    Drop off parcels at a CollectPlus store from early 'til late, 7 days a week
    Drop off parcels at CollectPlus is free of charge
    Signature on Delivery is included
    Cover up to £ 300,- is included
    Maximum weight: 10 kg
    Maximum size: 30 x 30 x 50 cm
    Business to consumer delivery only
  • buglawton
    Options
    Good info as I could not see that 10kg limit on their web pages
  • buglawton
    Options
    Only thing to watch is, parcel size is quite limited - a large but light item won't go.
  • SophieCat
    SophieCat Posts: 233 Forumite
    edited 16 December 2012 at 6:32PM
    Options
    Hi,

I need to send 2 parcels (each weighing 3.6kg) to family tomorrow (for Christmas). I looked on Royal Mail site for postage costs & it states £8.80 each standard parcels. However, has the last posting date for this option passed? There's no option I can see to check 2nd class prices, & I'm looking to send the parcels as cheaply as poss.

Thanks
  • Obviously_the_best
    Options
    SophieCat wrote: »
    Hi,

I need to send 2 parcels (each weighing 3.6kg) to family tomorrow (for Christmas). I looked on Royal Mail site for postage costs & it states £8.80 each standard parcels. However, has the last posting date for this option passed? There's no option I can see to check 2nd class prices, & I'm looking to send the parcels as cheaply as poss.

Thanks
    Last posting for standard parcels was 13th December. The most reliable vs cost way to get your parcels to your relatives now is Interparcel Economy. You may be tempted by the 15p cheaper city link service, but I wouldn't trust them at this time of year.

Interparcel economy is £9.58 and will be collected from your door. It is available from https://www.interparcel.com
  • SophieCat
    SophieCat Posts: 233 Forumite
    edited 17 December 2012 at 2:16AM
    Options
    Last posting for standard parcels was 13th December. The most reliable vs cost way to get your parcels to your relatives now is Interparcel Economy. You may be tempted by the 15p cheaper city link service, but I wouldn't trust them at this time of year.

Interparcel economy is £9.58 and will be collected from your door. It is available from www.interparcel.com

Thanks. Do you know if they will collect (at the same time) 2 parcels going to 2 different addresses? When it says 'printer needed', do I need any fancy labeling equipment, or can I just print the address labels onto A4 paper & then tape them to the parcels? :o

Has anybody used DX 48 Hour (Parcel Monkey)? Seem cheap, but not sure if my parcels (31cm x 24cm x 17cm) would fit in their bags?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback