Cheap Parcel Delivery - official discussion

Options

Comments

• LadyLucan
    Options
    I would like to transport a wooden garden bench , the size and weight that used to be in pub gardens, so heavyish, (well for me anyway)

I need it transported from Rainham in Kent, to Dyffryn in Wales,

I know it's quite a distance, and will be prob not worth it, but am curious to see what it would cost,

Who would be the best people to ask ????

Many Thanks
  • locomoto1299
    Options
    I sent a bulky parcel overseas, was paid for, delivered last week, everything OK.
    Now, they have contacted me that my parcel was a few inches over the "limit" which it wasn't and they want extra 40 pounds on top for that. Can they make me pay at? I sure as hell do't want to, already paid a fortune for the shipment.
    They've said the carrier told them the parcel was over the limit but the courier that picked it up said nothing of the sort.

Anyone else had a problem like that?

Thanks.
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't think you will get taken to court for £40 BUT will you want to use them again?

The other decision is do you simply ignore their communications or have a frank discussion - at the moment it might just be clerks looking for the easy way out of an internal impass.

If you were my customer (and especially if you were a good customer) I would welcome a discussion and would almost certainly arrange for my boss to write it off.

However I have no experience of Interparcel and how petty they can be.
    You could try offering to split the difference, but in any negotiations always write
    "without prejudice" on your communications.

Lets face it they have probably spent (wasted) £5 already
  • baffcat
    baffcat Posts: 502 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jellybeans wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good company to use to deliver (from Scotland to Norfolk, England) a 7kg parcel containing pottery (which is packaged in lots of bubble wrap)?

It has already been sent once by myhermes and arrived with all the pots broken (as if it had been dropped) and myhermes do not offer compensation for ceramics.

No carrier will cover damage to fragile items. Therefore, if you're having parcels damaged, you're not packing well enough. I send lots of glassware (10-40 items a day) and never use bubblewrap. Bubblewrap is useless for fragile, brittle items. Corrugated paper is great, much better, and holds as well as protects.

When packing fragile items, there's two parts to packaging.
    • Protection
    • Immobilisation
    Imagine that everyone who handles your parcel will drop it. Then imagine your pottery inside; it'll still be moving when the outside of the box has stopped due to momentum. What you need to do is allow that momentum to be dissipated before the wrapping around the pottery approaches the outer box.

If I use a box, I generally use two, one inside the other, and that's one of the few places I might use bubblewrap - pushed in really densely - in the space between them. Generally I use shredded paper, a cheap easy-to-get-hold-of dense filler.

If you're sure your bubblewrap will protect them well, pack it, then drop it from six feet, onto a corner. Then repeat it onto a side. Then sit on it. If they're intact, you've got a good to excellent chance they'll arrive intact.

I use Royal Mail and also City Link through P4D, and self insure. I'm in profit on my self-insurance this year. :D
    Exclamation and question marks - ONE exclamation mark or question mark is sufficient to exclaim or ask about something. More than one just makes you look/sound like a prat.
    Should OF, would OF
    . Dear oh dear. You really should have, or should've listened at school when that nice English teacher was explaining how words get abbreviated.
  • Norfolk_Poppy
    Options
    baffcat wrote: »
    No carrier will cover damage to fragile items. Therefore, if you're having parcels damaged, you're not packing well enough. I send lots of glassware (10-40 items a day) and never use bubblewrap. Bubblewrap is useless for fragile, brittle items. Corrugated paper is great, much better, and holds as well as protects.

When packing fragile items, there's two parts to packaging.
    • Protection
    • Immobilisation
    Imagine that everyone who handles your parcel will drop it. Then imagine your pottery inside; it'll still be moving when the outside of the box has stopped due to momentum. What you need to do is allow that momentum to be dissipated before the wrapping around the pottery approaches the outer box.

If I use a box, I generally use two, one inside the other, and that's one of the few places I might use bubblewrap - pushed in really densely - in the space between them. Generally I use shredded paper, a cheap easy-to-get-hold-of dense filler.

If you're sure your bubblewrap will protect them well, pack it, then drop it from six feet, onto a corner. Then repeat it onto a side. Then sit on it. If they're intact, you've got a good to excellent chance they'll arrive intact.

I use Royal Mail and also City Link through P4D, and self insure. I'm in profit on my self-insurance this year. :D

I have received a compalint on Ebay that the video camera I posted via My Hermes had a cracked lens. Initially buyer complained of non delivery, after I sent tracking details he found a note and the camera out on his blue bin.

I obviously can't claim with My Hermes but have to say that this is the only time that I've had anything broken. I pack my stuff to within an inch of it's life, had feedback on Ebay saying that overpacked!

I have sent ceramics, glassware and other delicate items by both Royal Mail and UPS and it's been fine....had my fingers crossed that the glassware would be ok, but, as you say, I double packed it.

What do My Hermes do to parcels?
  • Obviously_the_best
    Options
    What do My Hermes do to parcels?

Launch them from high speed conveyors into their lorries, chuck 'em around the depot etc etc.

I still use them though, cheap as chips!!! :D
  • NumbersGuy_2
    Options
    Just a heads up, in case it's useful info for others, that I bought the Parcel Monkey "own brand" courier service for an international shipment (it came up cheapest of their offerings) and it was booked with Parcel Force.

Obviously that's the risk of buying an "opaque" product, but I wouldn't have booked this had I known it would go via Parcel Force - I would have preferred to pay a bit extra to send it via UPS or FedEx.
  • rde
    rde Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    My son is inter railing in Europe at the moment and I would like to get a cash card to him. The card only has £10 on it but once he has it I would load it. He is staying in campsites and hostels.

How can I get it to him so it arrives on a day I know he is at a certain place?
  • muzzer47
    Options
    muzzer47 wrote: »
    I need to send a monster parcel to Victoria, Australia from the UK. It is 137x24x95 cm and weighs in at 22.5 Kg. I would like insurance cover for £150 and would prefer sea freight to reduce costs, time to delivery not being important.

Can anyone recommend a shipping company? Thanks in advance.

Hi, Nobody replied :( I'll try once more! Can anyone advise on sea shipping to Australia? Or failing that, who to try for air mail for something this big and heavy?
  • Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    Options
    NumbersGuy wrote: »
    Just a heads up, in case it's useful info for others, that I bought the Parcel Monkey "own brand" courier service for an international shipment (it came up cheapest of their offerings) and it was booked with Parcel Force.

Obviously that's the risk of buying an "opaque" product, but I wouldn't have booked this had I known it would go via Parcel Force - I would have preferred to pay a bit extra to send it via UPS or FedEx.

I think I must be the only person in the world who actually likes Parcel Force! :D
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure