🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cheap Parcel Delivery - official discussion

Options

Comments

• muzzer47
    Options
    I need to send a monster parcel to Victoria, Australia from the UK. It is 137x24x95 cm and weighs in at 22.5 Kg. I would like insurance cover for £150 and would prefer sea freight to reduce costs, time to delivery not being important.

Can anyone recommend a shipping company? Thanks in advance.
  • Jinks
    Jinks Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    I just want to point out that for those of you who sell on eBay it's worth using the eBay account linkup feature on parcel2go.com. I'm not sure why as I didn't see an explanation anywhere, but it seems to bring up cheaper prices for the parcels via the eBay account tool (around 50p cheaper per parcel), not to mention it's way quicker to book them since all the addresses and other details are already input for you.

I generally use MyHermes because of the low cost - I've heard of some people having issues but I have had a perfect performance from them so far on around 40 parcels, all good eBay feedback. I was particularly worried about sending some china with them as they don't cover it, but I couldn't find any courier who did, so I sent several (very carefully-packed!) boxes of it with them and it was fine.
  • jellybeans_2
    jellybeans_2 Posts: 172 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good company to use to deliver (from Scotland to Norfolk, England) a 7kg parcel containing pottery (which is packaged in lots of bubble wrap)?

It has already been sent once by myhermes and arrived with all the pots broken (as if it had been dropped) and myhermes do not offer compensation for ceramics.

Loving knitting for the Wooligans! :j my totals:

Jellybeans
    22 baby hats ; 3 Teddies for Tragedies ; 15 buntings ; 9 boobs ; 2 baby blankets ;
    8 Innocent Smoothie hats ; 2 Scarves ; 4 Adult hats ; 6 Aaron squares ; 12 hedgehogs
  • jazzy
    jazzy Posts: 1,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jellybeans wrote: »
    Hi,

It has already been sent once by myhermes and arrived with all the pots broken (as if it had been dropped) and myhermes do not offer compensation for ceramics.

MyHermes are famous for destroying parcels, just do a web search on the subject. You will also find MyHermes do not compensate for any damage to electrical goods, which is probably the majority of goods. But they will quite happily take the extra premium for expensive goods.
  • dizzytina
    dizzytina Posts: 777 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm after some help if possible. I am trying to find the cheapest way to send a bul;ky item to canada and the same one to america. The parcel weighs 2kg and the dimensions are 60cm tall x 35cm wide x 40 cm depth. The cheapest quotes i can find are coming out at £60 +!! Am i likely to be able to get it cheaper ?. Ive tried looking on a few of the popular compare websites like parcels2go,interparcel etc but they are still coming out really expensive.

Can anyone help?
    Thanks
    Tina x
    V 12500 B 8300 N 1900 Oct £51/£155
  • campdave
    campdave Posts: 2,198 Forumite
    Options
    If the maximum height is 60cm and it's under 2kg you can send small parcel via Royal Mail
  • dizzytina
    dizzytina Posts: 777 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks Campdave but i think its 2kg so won't go via Royal Mail :-( . Thank you anyway
    V 12500 B 8300 N 1900 Oct £51/£155
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,237 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jellybeans wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good company to use to deliver (from Scotland to Norfolk, England) a 7kg parcel containing pottery (which is packaged in lots of bubble wrap)?

Whoever you send it with it should be able to survive being dropped. You need to pack it with more protection. I would use bubble wrap within a box, then this box would go inside another with screwed up newspaper between the boxes. If you are not happy to drop the parcel on a hard floor it needs better packing. The good news is that within reason extra weight and size does not affect the price with most carriers.

Carriers are likely to exclude ceramics in their insurance small print and if anyone did offer cover they would say packaging was insufficient if there were breakages.
  • redsandy101
    redsandy101 Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, just back from Salou to realise that my son has left his DS and games in the Hotel lobby. These were handed in and Reception has parcelled them up in a Jiffy bag

25cm long x 18cm wide x 3cm high
    Weight - 252gram

They have asked us to organise a courier, the only quote I can get is from ParcelHero at over £20.00. Is this the best way forward?

Any advice appreciated.
    Veni, vidi, vino = I came, I saw, I drank wine
    :beer: norn irish club member no.112
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 July 2013 at 4:26PM
    Options
    friend of mine does deliveries and does insure ceramics.

but wait for it.

he charge £1.20 a mile. If pickup is within 2 miles of his house thats inclusive so not charged on top. He picks up same hour of order. Then drives himself straight away to the delivery point in the uk.

Get what you pay for really, so eg. this guy to london from leics would charge around £120.

He says he is raising his prices soon tho, as the demand is there (he works every day) and his costs are getting too close to revenue.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure