Cheap Parcel Delivery - official discussion

Options

Comments

• Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    Options
    rde wrote: »
    My son is inter railing in Europe at the moment and I would like to get a cash card to him. The card only has £10 on it but once he has it I would load it. He is staying in campsites and hostels.

How can I get it to him so it arrives on a day I know he is at a certain place?

Send it well in advance?
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    rde wrote: »
    My son is inter railing in Europe at the moment and I would like to get a cash card to him. The card only has £10 on it but once he has it I would load it. He is staying in campsites and hostels.

How can I get it to him so it arrives on a day I know he is at a certain place?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poste_restante
    ?
  • NumbersGuy_2
    Options
    NumbersGuy wrote: »
    Just a heads up, in case it's useful info for others, that I bought the Parcel Monkey "own brand" courier service for an international shipment (it came up cheapest of their offerings) and it was booked with Parcel Force.

Obviously that's the risk of buying an "opaque" product, but I wouldn't have booked this had I known it would go via Parcel Force - I would have preferred to pay a bit extra to send it via UPS or FedEx.
    Confirming my fears, the package was not collected for two days. When it was not collected the first day, I tried to rebook collection with Parcel Monkey, whose reponse was that the driver will automatically call the next day for a failed collection. I was suspicious of this. Lo and behold, no driver came the next day.

I told Parcel Monkey to refund me and rebooked with a major express carrier. It was collected by them first time on the expected date.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Strapped wrote: »
    I think I must be the only person in the world who actually likes Parcel Force! :D
    I don't dislike them but then I always drop off and never have collections any more. It was the collections that were always off, they chop and change drivers all the time and have woeful communication.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Who delivers Collect+ parcels ?

I am having a bit of a problem with an Ebay return. Seller says not received, tracking only shows collected from shop, Collect+ CS say delivered.
  • marking_bad
    marking_bad Posts: 512 Forumite
    Options
    Who offers the cheapest small/medium UK parcel delivery in the 1kg, 2kg and 3kd weight range? (using royal mail as a reference for small medium)

Thanks
  • davetech
    davetech Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    muzzer47 wrote: »
    Hi, Nobody replied :( I'll try once more! Can anyone advise on sea shipping to Australia? Or failing that, who to try for air mail for something this big and heavy?

hi ya

As far as i know limit of 2kg or sometimes more for books, with royal mail,

Try parceltogo.co.uk , ups 2-3 day service upto 67kg,

but expect it to be very expensive, well over £100
  • davetech
    davetech Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    Who offers the cheapest small/medium UK parcel delivery in the 1kg, 2kg and 3kd weight range? (using royal mail as a reference for small medium)

Thanks

the 2 main companys, on a causal basis are https://www.myhermes.co.uk or collectplus.co.uk

Myhermes upto 2kg for £4.20 collected or drop off at shop 3-5 days

Collect+ are £4.89 and 2-3 days upto 2kg

but if you have parcels under 8cm and under 1kg RM second class at £2.60 or first £3.00

Myhermes and Collect+ do come in for a lot of stick, I have used myhermes a lot and overall they are not too bad, cheap, and as long as you pack the parcel a little more stonger it should be fine,

But please note that they offer cover, but hardly cover anything in the small print, not sure about Collect+

hope it helps, but please if u use these companys go direct with them, its cheapers than if u use a broker website like parcel2go as they take an additional cut!
  • lockheed
    lockheed Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    I need to have something sent from USA to France.
    None of the companies listed in the article allow for shipping if UK is not involved on either end.

Does anyone know of such companies in either US or France?
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,227 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lockheed wrote: »
    I need to have something sent from USA to France.
    None of the companies listed in the article allow for shipping if UK is not involved on either end.

Does anyone know of such companies in either US or France?
    I imagine you would need to use a carrier in the US to organise this. Probably USPS (their PO) would be cheapest for small items.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback