Cheap Parcel Delivery - official discussion

Options

Comments

• lukington
    lukington Posts: 23 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    tiddysdad wrote: »
    Hi I'm a aspiring artist and just recently been asked to produce prints of my originals. I've mounted and framed them, the frame has glass in. they are 20" x 16" and are approximately 2.5kg. I've been looking on line for a postal service to deliver these for me but I'm told that because they art art work and the frames have glass they can't be sent. Please help - any advice would be gratefully appreciated. I can't get frames with plastic glass at the size I want.

John (tiddysdad)

eframe.co.uk do 20" x 16" perspex frames for about £20.

Failing that, you can send glass through the courier networks - but it's at your own risk so you'll have to pack your frames them very safely.

If you're sending within the UK your other option is anyvan.com or shiply.com - you book your shipment with a private courier (man & van) who should be able to take better care of your item. This will cost about £25 to anywhere in UK.

To search for the cheapest way to send your parcels, visit comparcel.com - the impartial parcel comparison portal!
  • Jasmine5
    Options
    Hi I have a property in The Canaries and I would like to send some household items over. I want to send things such as large pictures, mirrors, wall art etc and I haven't a clue how to go about choosing a shipping company or how to pack these sort of things. Does the company supply the boxes/pallet or can you buy them online? How much would it cost and how long would it take to arrive? Can anyone help!
  • Wesson
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I have been living in Australia for a year and managed to acquire more things than I am able to take home on a plane journey home!

I am thinking I will need to ship a few boxes (Maybe 2 or 3) back, they will contain things like books, clothes, few household bits like Vase and Photos, bedding etc.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend the best way to send these back, I have found since I have been here Australia Post to be very expensive. Some one has recommended a company called Seven seas to me, but was not really sure if these would be my best option?

Any help appreciated!

• Errol1989
    Options
    Hey!

I am looking to send a few parcels to England from Berlin varying in size and weight between 20-25kg.

Who would people recommend? In terms of reliability as well as price. For the outbound trip last year I used gwizzcouriers who were cheap and reliable but it looks like they no longer exist!

Cheers
  • lukington
    Options
    Errol1989 wrote: »
    Hey!

I am looking to send a few parcels to England from Berlin varying in size and weight between 20-25kg.

Who would people recommend? In terms of reliability as well as price. For the outbound trip last year I used gwizzcouriers who were cheap and reliable but it looks like they no longer exist!

Cheers

Hi,

Currently the cheapest method for 20 - 25kg from UK to Germany is UPS Standard via Parcel2Go @ £14.25+VAT per parcel.

You can find the best parcel prices on every route at comparcel.com
  • lukington
    Options
    Wesson wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I have been living in Australia for a year and managed to acquire more things than I am able to take home on a plane journey home!

I am thinking I will need to ship a few boxes (Maybe 2 or 3) back, they will contain things like books, clothes, few household bits like Vase and Photos, bedding etc.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend the best way to send these back, I have found since I have been here Australia Post to be very expensive. Some one has recommended a company called Seven seas to me, but was not really sure if these would be my best option?

Any help appreciated!

Hey,

Check the following sites to find the best price:

ship2anywhere.com.au
    interparcel.com.au
    transglobal.org.uk (click import)
    excess-baggage.com

Good luck!

Find the best prices on all parcel routes at comparcel.com
  • Errol1989
    Options
    lukington wrote: »
    Hi,

Currently the cheapest method for 20 - 25kg from UK to Germany is UPS Standard via Parcel2Go @ £14.25+VAT per parcel.

You can find the best parcel prices on every route at comparcel.com

Cheers for the advice, however I was looking to ship from Germany to England and Parcel2Go don't seem to offer that.

Any other recommendations out there?
  • lukington
    Options
    Errol1989 wrote: »
    Cheers for the advice, however I was looking to ship from Germany to England and Parcel2Go don't seem to offer that.

Any other recommendations out there?

If you are able to take it to the 'Paketshop', then myHermes.de is the cheapest at 13,90€. However, if you need i
    t collected then your best bet is dpddirect.de which will cost you 15,50€. Hope that helps.
  • Tara100
    Tara100 Posts: 258 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pgtips123 wrote: »
    myHermes - More of a warning than a plea for some sanity, booked a collection from a chap in Manchester for a parcel to be collected 10th July.

A month later, no collection, untold messages into their customer support.

myHermes Customer services is a waste of time, I keep being told "we'll respond in 24 hours but they never do.

They have my money and I can't get my parcel delivered. The service I am experiencing and customer support is absolutely dreadful and it becomes quite stressful, I have no idea what is going on.

myHermes ... PLEASE - I just want my parcel collected and delivered or give me my money back.

Sigh........

PG

Hi

I am going through the same and wondered how your problem got resolved in the end?

I'm at my wits end with a booked collection that just won't get picked up.

I booked a collection for last Thursday 29th Aug, and the courier didn't arrive. I e-mailed them same evening, and requested a collection for the next day (and asked for a response too, but at today Sun pm 1st Sept, i still haven't been contacted)

The parcel wasn't picked up on Fri 30th, so I phoned them this time, and was told that I would be contacted within four hours via phone or e-mail. This didn't happen either.
    I called Hermes again yesterday morning to be told that the 'stand-in' courier would collect the parcel in the afternoon. This didn't happen.

I am now of the opinion that I must take the parcel to a drop off point (I couldn't last week as I had no transport, but can now)
    There is no way I am phoning Hermes for a third time to be told another load of tosh, as the two calls so far cost me £2.70 mobile phone credit (0845 number)

So, if I take the parcel to the drop off point, this will mean booking the parcel in again and paying again.
    I have opened a dispute within Paypal and wondered how others have fared through doing the same? (I can't be the only one to do this ;))

Many thanks
    Tara
    All you need is love (and chocolate)
  • lukington
    lukington Posts: 23 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 3 September 2013 at 3:58PM
    Options
    Tara100 wrote: »
    Hi

I am going through the same and wondered how your problem got resolved in the end?

I'm at my wits end with a booked collection that just won't get picked up.

I booked a collection for last Thursday 29th Aug, and the courier didn't arrive. I e-mailed them same evening, and requested a collection for the next day (and asked for a response too, but at today Sun pm 1st Sept, i still haven't been contacted)

The parcel wasn't picked up on Fri 30th, so I phoned them this time, and was told that I would be contacted within four hours via phone or e-mail. This didn't happen either.
    I called Hermes again yesterday morning to be told that the 'stand-in' courier would collect the parcel in the afternoon. This didn't happen.

I am now of the opinion that I must take the parcel to a drop off point (I couldn't last week as I had no transport, but can now)
    There is no way I am phoning Hermes for a third time to be told another load of tosh, as the two calls so far cost me £2.70 mobile phone credit (0845 number)

So, if I take the parcel to the drop off point, this will mean booking the parcel in again and paying again.
    I have opened a dispute within Paypal and wondered how others have fared through doing the same? (I can't be the only one to do this ;))

Many thanks
    Tara

Hi Tara,

Firstly, if you need to contact myHermes again, use their national rate number (0330 333 4981). or their freephone number (
    0800 174 9040). Alternatives to premium 087 numbers can be found at saynoto0870.com.

Regarding myHermes, one of the reasons they are so cheap is because they use contractors to do their first mile collections / final mile deliveries. When I lived in Buckinghamshire, this contractor was my next door neighbour! In fact he was very reliable, but since moving to London it's been terrible. myHermes collections never materialize and deliveries are left haphazardly on the doorstep.

My advice is if you use myHermes, only go for their Parcelshop - Parcelshop option. If you want delivery to the door, CollectPlus may be a better option as it's often cheaper and they use Yodel for their final mile (though you will have to drop it at the shop). To check out your options in full, see comparcel.com - it compares all the carriers and all the brokers to find the best parcel service for your needs.

Best of luck.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure