BE BOLSHY! STOP SUPERMARKETS STEALING OUR CASH

Options

Comments

16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yep, thats a better explanation, i agree it should be done more carefully. thanks.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If I go into a bank I have to sign my cheque before I get cash.  If I want to make a withdrawal I have to sign the slip before I get my cash.  If I apply for a mortgage I have to sign my life away (in triplicate) before I get any money.

I think there is a phrase involving  the words 'mountains' and 'molehills' that comes to mind.

Ivan

the situation in supermarkets is slightly different Ivan because you actually initial the receipt to say you have received the cash, they ask you to sign 1st because it is easier for them you can sign at the same time as you sign for payment of your shopping.
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Tony_H_3
    Tony_H_3 Posts: 2,643 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Woah, at the end of the day the responsibility has to lie with the person serving you on the checkout. Do they not ask if you would like cash back? Do they not process the transaction and then hand you your receipt etc?

This happened to me in asda, I walked straight from the checkout to customer services on the way to the door. I was issued my cashback without question upon producing the receipt.

It has to be the responsibility of the person serving you, after all they are the person whom have asked you if you would like it & they are the ones whom would give it too you.
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cant stand people who pay by card in supermarkets let alone get cash back

I always go to the buttons machine and get my cash out before going shopping, that way I know how much ive got to spend and dont HOLD UP THE QUEUE

;D
  • Tony_H_3
    Tony_H_3 Posts: 2,643 Forumite
    Options
    cant stand people who pay by card in supermarkets  let alone get cash back

I always go to the buttons machine and get my cash out before going shopping, that way I know how much ive got to spend and dont HOLD UP THE QUEUE

;D

So you're the person hogging the cash machine and preventing me from getting out cash to do my shop, thus causing me to occassionally forget my cash at the till and holding up fellow shoppers... !! ;D ;D
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I can't get money out of the cash machine cos I can never remember my pin number  :-[

What about changing pin no to something you can remember.
    1st 4 digits of phone no.
    year you got married/divorced/had kid etc
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    if you take the money, you save a fortune as well, cos you cant go mad with the card.

havnt taken my card to the supermarket for about 3 years now.

Ive seen loads and loads of things Id have loved to have bought but only having enough money to cover my shopping list. I couldnt.

and I cant remember a single item I didnt buy!! ;D
  • trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can't see how they'd get around the security problem...................opening the till TWICE.........or worse still leaving it open while you sign.

I'm with Ivan................we have to take responsibility..................or quit being lazy and go to a cash machine for the cash :-/
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    Options
    Folks - can we keep this one on supermarket cashback (don't mind disagreement, but let's keep this one on topic - the supermarkets may be coming here to read this!)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I can't see how they'd get around the security problem...................opening the till TWICE.........
    they wouldn't have to open till twice
    when they open it 1st time they hand you cash and then you sign the receipt

I NEVER sign until they hand me the cash,
    I always say 'can I have the cash 1st' and they usually say 'no you have to sign 1st'
    I say 'what am I signing for' and they say 'you are signing you've received cashback' !!!!!!!!!!!

can't sign to say I've had something if I haven't so I stand my ground, they have no option, either they give me the cash 1st or they have to void the whole transaction while I walk away,

Is there any members here who work in supermarkets who can tell us what they are officially told to do and why??
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure