»

BE BOLSHY! STOP SUPERMARKETS STEALING OUR CASH

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

BE BOLSHY! STOP SUPERMARKETS STEALING OUR CASH

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
91 replies 27.6K views
MSE_MartinMSE_Martin Money Saving ExpertMoneySaving Expert
8.3K posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
BE BOLSHY! STOP SUPERMARKETS STEALING OUR CASH:  

This makes me growl.  Request cashback from supermarkets and they make you initial the receipt for the Cashback BEFORE giving you the money (or opening the till). It’s the wrong way round, logically you should sign AFTER receiving the cash.  The silly procedure leaves people rushing out, having had the cash debited, but it remains in the supermarket’s till (did it myself once).  

Let’s refuse to sign before we get the cash, cause a fuss it, may make them change their policies.  I’m contacting the big four supermarkets to ask for a response.  

To discuss this click reply

I will post the supermarkets reponse when i get it.
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Replies

• junojuno Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    My mum left without getting her cash once! So she went back, and they had to count the till and made her feel like she was trying to steal from them when it was their mistake and the person on the till admitted she'd forgotten to give her the money. But she got it in the end!

So after that she always asked for the cash before she would initial anything.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• SpendlessSpendless Forumite
    21.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did it myself once too, years ago when cashback 1st started. Drove few miles home then realised and went back. Luckily I was believed and was given cash.

And what about Morrisions refusing to do £5 cashback?
    I refused to get cashback on that occassion,cos as I pointed out the supermarket makes interest on our money, so how dare they stipulate bigger amounts.

I've actually stopped getting cashback most of time. I found it's better for budget to withdraw cash and use that for weekly shopping,otherwise I do shopping then get cashback and it just disappears!!! ::)

My bank did tell me that paying by switch with cashback takes a little longer to go thru account. But haven't actually checked out if this is true.
  • sparky61sparky61 Forumite
    10.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hadn't thought about it that way before.
    I'll certainly be waiting until I've got the cash before initialling my receipts in future
    :)
  • AddyAddy Forumite
    1.9K posts
    OMG! I thought it was just me that did that! Twice I've left Sainsbury's without my cashback! Luckily, I realised before I'd left the carpark, returned to Customer Services and got my money with not too much hassle. You have to wonder how often it happens that people leave without realising....this could soon add up to a fair old sum for the supermarkets!

As for the minimum amount being allowed, well that's just stupid. If their banks and Credit/debit card service providers charge along the same lines that they do for the Company I work for, it's in their interests to do cashback. The less cash they have to bank, the less bank charges they incur - it's done on a % basis. Whereas payments by debit cards only incur a per transaction charge for them.

I'll be doing my bit in this campaign - no initials till my money is in my sweaty palm ;D
  • yep me too, i had this problem in kwik save, realised before i got to the door, they still said i'd had the money. kicked off and eventually got it, but they said as i'd initialed it, that meant i'd recieved it. makes me mad. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( don't do cashback anymore. always use hole in wall at least sure i'll get cash then.
  • IvanOpinionIvanOpinion Forumite
    20.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I missing something here ? At the risk of being flamed for daring to disagree with Martin I don't see the issue. The supermarket did not 'steal' your money (not in any legal or dictionary sense of the word) a mistake was made and the person receiving the cash is MORE to blame than the supermarket ... you signed it ... you should check before you leave ... and, before you ask, yes I f****d up in the past on the one and only occasion I asked for cashback (hence why I have never done it since) ... oh, and when I went back in (cap in hand) Tescos sorted it out very politely and efficiently.

If I go into a bank I have to sign my cheque before I get cash. If I want to make a withdrawal I have to sign the slip before I get my cash. If I apply for a mortgage I have to sign my life away (in triplicate) before I get any money.

I think there is a phrase involving the words 'mountains' and 'molehills' that comes to mind.

Ivan
    Ivan has left the building ... but reserves the right of reply!
    Use PM to keep in touch
  • ooh ooh ooh. i agree its up to us, and partly our fault, but agree that we should only sign when the money is recieved.
  • Good point...........now I dont' know who to agree with... :-/
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin Money Saving Expert MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ivan - i understand your point. And of course they're not 'stealing' it's a deliberately emotive word to spark a headline. However to examine your argument.

Yes of course under the current situation we are and should be responsible for grabbing the cash ourselves - if we make the mistake, on an individual basis we cannot blame the supermarket. However there is a systematic problem here with the way the cashback is handed out. The fact you sign for cash, before the till is opened, and it is handed to you only after the point, in the middle of packing shopping, leads to people forgetting the cash. A simple policy change or double check system could prevent people doing this - as almost everyone seems to have done it - think of the amount of cash we're talking.

If just one in five UK adults have done it with a £30 cashback that is £180million pound untaken, remaining in tills......
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000