Royal Mail Recorded Delivery Signed For Naughty Postman...............

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Leaf291
    Options
    The same happened to me with a different company. Google Action Fraud because I'm not allowed to post links, it's a police website. You can report it online. The more people do this the more like we can stop it happening.
  • ClaireB182
    Options
    This is all very lovely (for those commenting how helpful the postie is) until you sent something sold on eBay that never gets a signature and then the buyer makes a claim for it having 'never arrived' and the seller ends up out of pocket. The postie shouldnt do it, plain and simple.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ClaireB182 wrote: »
    This is all very lovely (for those commenting how helpful the postie is) until you sent something sold on eBay that never gets a signature and then the buyer makes a claim for it having 'never arrived' and the seller ends up out of pocket. The postie shouldnt do it, plain and simple.

How do you know it arrived?
  • ClaireB182
    Options
    LadyDee wrote: »
    You don't have to be computer literate to go into your bank and do a bank transfer.

No but you do need to a) actually still have a bank geographically near you and b) be able to get there. Not everyone can just hop in their car or get a bus (if you are lucky enough to have a bus service!).
  • ClaireB182
    ClaireB182 Posts: 21 Forumite
    edited 27 September 2019 at 9:19AM
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    How do you know it arrived?

Because one buyer was honest enough to tell me. People try it on all the time when you sell on eBay. I know from the amount of post we have that the posties forge our signature for.

I do all my shopping online and so many things that have come 'tracked and signed for' have just been shoved through our letter box or left on the doorstep. I've contacted the RM about it and they couldnt care less and just say it wont happen again. Its not fair for the person who has paid for a signed for service and a postie forging someones signature is fraud however much anyone tries to dress it up as otherwise.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    My regular postie happily signs for me still and pops anything that wont fit through the letterbox through the side gate in a box.

Last weekend I was woken up by Postie knocking. Not my regular guy, Popped my head through the bedroom window and asked him to just leave it on the table outside the front door. "Cant" he says. "Needs signing". I asked him to just scribble it for me and leave it. "Cant" he says.

I went down and he told me that the local depot is now clamping down on them signing for things and they were getting in trouble for it.
    Whether this is true or whether he just wanted to drag me out of bed at 8am on a Saturday morning I don't know.
  • custardy
    Options
    My regular postie happily signs for me still and pops anything that wont fit through the letterbox through the side gate in a box.

Last weekend I was woken up by Postie knocking. Not my regular guy, Popped my head through the bedroom window and asked him to just leave it on the table outside the front door. "Cant" he says. "Needs signing". I asked him to just scribble it for me and leave it. "Cant" he says.

I went down and he told me that the local depot is now clamping down on them signing for things and they were getting in trouble for it.
    Whether this is true or whether he just wanted to drag me out of bed at 8am on a Saturday morning I don't know.

Simple fact is its not policy to sign for items (caveat for customers physically unable to sign EG. disability, when you sign as 'did not sign' in their presence)
    all it takes is one person to kick up a fuss and a postie to be hauled over the coals.
    Would you risk your job/record to save someone a bit of hassle?
  • Undervalued
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    Simple fact is its not policy to sign for items (caveat for customers physically unable to sign EG. disability, when you sign as 'did not sign' in their presence)
    all it takes is one person to kick up a fuss and a postie to be hauled over the coals.
    Would you risk your job/record to save someone a bit of hassle?

It may not be policy but it certainly happens and needs stopping. Whilst I understand it is convenient for some people it defeats the whole point of a signed for service.

That said, maybe the whole concept needs a rethink? Ultimately, even if done properly it only proves that somebody at that address accepted the item, not that it ever got to the addressee. Equally, plenty of scams have been perpetrated by sending empty envelopes or worthless items of about the correct weight to problems work both ways.
  • custardy
    Options
    It may not be policy but it certainly happens and needs stopping. Whilst I understand it is convenient for some people it defeats the whole point of a signed for service.

That said, maybe the whole concept needs a rethink? Ultimately, even if done properly it only proves that somebody at that address accepted the item, not that it ever got to the addressee. Equally, plenty of scams have been perpetrated by sending empty envelopes or worthless items of about the correct weight to problems work both ways.

Problem is,you just listed why any system is flawed.
    Realistically RM is close to being able to switch Signed for to documents only. What Recorded delivery was originally designed for.
    This could carry £0 compensation stopping folks using it for anything else.
    Tracked signed for could cover parcels/value with sliding scale compensation available.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,034 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    My regular postie won't sign for things on my behalf, and quite right too. Once, when he was on leave, his stand-in signed for two SP items from the Passport Office and left them in my barn where the letter box is. I wasn't happy!

On the other hand all the posties will take stamped outgoing mail as we are very rural and live about eight miles from the nearest town.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure