Royal Mail Recorded Delivery Signed For Naughty Postman...............

Options
Hi all

I have received my post today and amongst it was something which was sent by recorded delivery and needed to be signed for.

Both myself and my partner were at work so I decided to use the tracking number to see who signed for it.

It was supposedly signed for by me although the signature is not mine. Now I assume the post man did this "forging" my signature, I appreciate I now dont have to go to the sorting office to collect the item but surely this is not legal?

I was tempted (I know I shouldnt) to claim the company that sent it that I havent received it and when they check the tracking prove that it is not my signature with driving licence/passport etc. Although I am not sure I can be bothered with that.

I was just shocked they had forged my signature.

Comments

• mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    Many like their postie to do this, or sign on behalf of their customers.

However, as a former postie, I wouldn't have done it at all.

You can make a complaint about it happening without contacting the sender, and this is what I'd do.
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi all

I have received my post today and amongst it was something which was sent by recorded delivery and needed to be signed for.

Both myself and my partner were at work so I decided to use the tracking number to see who signed for it.

It was supposedly signed for by me although the signature is not mine. Now I assume the post man did this "forging" my signature, I appreciate I now dont have to go to the sorting office to collect the item but surely this is not legal?

I was tempted (I know I shouldnt) to claim the company that sent it that I havent received it and when they check the tracking prove that it is not my signature with driving licence/passport etc. Although I am not sure I can be bothered with that.

I was just shocked they had forged my signature.

So you were tempted to commit a crime by lying and saying the goods didn't arrive, and yet are "shocked" the postman delivered your mail!

I know what shocks me more :)
  • Honeydog
    Honeydog Posts: 877 Forumite
    Options
    You're lucky - they didn't bother signing my recorded parcel and just lobbed it through an open window!!!
    Don't grow up. Its a trap!

Peace, love and labradors!
  • The_ICT_Engineer
    Options
    Honeydog wrote: »
    You're lucky - they didn't bother signing my recorded parcel and just lobbed it through an open window!!!
    Could have been worse, They could have missed and broke the glass instead.
  • apesxx
    apesxx Posts: 583 Forumite
    edited 15 November 2012 at 10:29AM
    Options
    Our postman used to do this when i still lived with my parents. I really appreciated not having to drive 5 miles to the local sorting office to pick them up. he only did it with letters that would fit through the letter box tho. And i suppose it did help that we had had the same postman since i was little and as it was quite a rural run, he knew everyone quite well.

And why would you pretend that you didnt get it? That just about sums up what this country is coming too. It only spoils things for everyone else when the price goes up coz of people like you.
  • likelyfran
    likelyfran Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Options
    goater78 wrote: »
    So you were tempted to commit a crime by lying and saying the goods didn't arrive, and yet are "shocked" the postman delivered your mail!

I know what shocks me more :)

Oh for goodness' sake!
    *Look for advice, not 'advise'*
    *Could/should/would HAVE please!*

:starmod:
    “It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” ~ Krishnamurti. :starmod:
    :dance:
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is one of those never ending debates. According to the rules, they are not allowed to do it, but I for one am very grateful to our postie for doing it.

Our sorting office is 12 miles away and not open at any time when we can get there during the week. The only time we can get to the sorting office is Saturday mornings, which means we would have to wait a week or more to get anything that needed a signature and if we are busy on a Saturday morning then it can be even longer.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Honeydog wrote: »

I see you're still harbouring a grudge over this ;)
  • TRace
    TRace Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    As above, Our postman has done this for items that fit in the box, and as above I appreciate it.

I think in part its done so they doesn't have to carry round undelivered parcels all day and while I understand this is not somthing they should be doing its good for me to get the post delivered rather than having to wait untill I can get to the sorting office at the weekend, as ours is only open 7-12 to collect the post.
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    But postie is doing you a favour surely?

Maybe they're not supposed to do it but I guess they're the ones taking the risk but its you that benefits.
    Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport