Royal Mail Recorded Delivery Signed For Naughty Postman...............

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mazza111 wrote: »
    WRONG - You are paying extra with Recorded Delivery to have a signature by the recipient...Why use recorded if you're happy for any tom !!!!!! or harry to sign for it especially if it goes to a different address?

And I'm afraid you're wrong on the latter part too. I've had recorded stuff signed for through my letter box for the man down the street. My dd has had to change everything to be sent to my address because a lot of her mail was going missing. It just takes one numpty postie to cause major problems.... Trust me on this one, I was in the job for years and seen the problems it causes.

Might not even him who's doing the sorting for the duty, could be someone else and he's left to try and sort it out as he goes in all fairness. It's quite easy to have 5 letters for number 14 and have one in the middle for #7 and not notice it if you know what I mean.

Seen that happen so many times unfortunately it's quite easy to miss.

Not WRONG at all. I'm paying to have mail delivered, if it gets delivered I don't really care about the signature. The point of the signature is it provides a layer of protection if something goes wrong. If nothing goes wrong I don't care if its signed for or not.
  • HalfPint
    HalfPint Posts: 646 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiya,

just thought I'd point out that recorded signed for means it is signed for on delivery to the address...not signed for by the named personon the envelope.

Posties are not permitted to sign for recorded's but like many of royal mails rules, a lot of the general public (as shown above) like their posties to sign on their behalf as it is more convenient.

HP x

PS (i'm not a postie, never have been :))
    DEBT FREE DATE: 05/02/2015!

Those things in life that we find the hardest to do, are the things we are the most thankful we did.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    goater78 wrote: »
    Not WRONG at all. I'm paying to have mail delivered, if it gets delivered I don't really care about the signature. The point of the signature is it provides a layer of protection if something goes wrong. If nothing goes wrong I don't care if its signed for or not.

You may not care, but that isn't necessarily representative of the majority of people using recorded delivery. The item in question could in fact be a legal document or a return or something for which a signature on delivery is an important aspect of the service.
  • System
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »
    You may not care, but that isn't necessarily representative of the majority of people using recorded delivery. The item in question could in fact be a legal document or a return or something for which a signature on delivery is an important aspect of the service.

If it was that important you wouldn't use recorded signed for, you would use special delivery.
  • getzls
    getzls Posts: 761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As an ex-postie i did this with the persons permission.

Few regulars would have got regular RDs so they gave me the ok.

Yes of course it could have backfired if they said they didn't get it.

Never happened though.
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    Why on earth would you be willing to pay more for a service you're not getting... If you pay for recorded it should be recorded... not just slung through a letterbox.

Halfpint - The point of the OP that it was signed for by postie, not by anyone at the address.

Getzls - I wouldn't advise any postie to do it. Seen on hauled over the coals for it, and lost his job.

If I send something recorded and a signature isn't delivered, or if I found out it wasn't signed for by the someone at that address, I would certainly be making a complaint about it. Sometimes a signature is all that's needed. Especially for proof for people like DWP who tend to lose things. At least that way if it's been signed for, I can prove they receive it.
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • System
    Options
    Recorded signed for is not just a signature. They also tell you when the item has been delivered. That information can be quite useful. I am happy to pay extra to be notified of delivery. I don't particularly care about the signature as long as its delivered.
  • bargain_hunts
    Options
    We've had the same postie for years and he often posts stuff that fits through. He only puts post through My letterbox and never gives it to a neighbour (although my neighbours would be fine). He will call past on his way back to the office and if he sees a car in the drive will knock and get a signature. I am very grateful for this and wouldn't dream of reporting it when he's doing me a favour although i do understand he shouldn't.
    I dont live in a remote area, he knows i appreciate it and he's happy to do it.
    Maybe next time you see postie you should ask him/her not to do it again as you would rather go pick it up? (if you always have the same one)
    :hello:
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Maybe next time you see postie you should ask him/her not to do it again as you would rather go pick it up? (if you always have the same one)
    I only ever see postie on a Saturday - and I've no idea if it's the same one as does the weekday deliveries. Maybe it depends on where you live.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    goater78 wrote: »
    Recorded signed for is not just a signature. They also tell you when the item has been delivered. That information can be quite useful. I am happy to pay extra to be notified of delivery. I don't particularly care about the signature as long as its delivered.

A recorded delivery shouldn't be marked as recorded without the signature....
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport